All We Need Is A Dagger

90 Night Elf Rogue
NND
I notice people like to complain about why Rogues don't have an array of eye-catching, jaw-dropping spell effects and abilities. Why can Warlocks have green fiery meteors , Shamans can summon beasts from the spirit realm, Death Knights raise the very dead from beneath their feet, and other things of that nature? If you find yourself asking these questions, and complaining about them, you need a perspective adjustment.

When it comes to the art of killing, no class bests the Rogue. Warriors put up a close fight, but they are brawlers, masters of weaponry and combat, who tear through enemies with nothing but sheer, brute force. Rogues... Rogues wait, patiently, not just for a target, but the ideal target, the game-changing target. Rogues can pick a fight nobody else can. One in the back, unseen, unnoticed. A fight that not even your teammates will know occurred. The only souls who knew, were you and the now lifeless corpse at your feet. Rogue's may not be the best when it comes to straight combat, but our ruthlessness, cunning, smarts, patience, and knowledge of the art of simply killing, puts us at the top of food chain.

Rogues have a history of instilling a fear, the likes of which that have never been matched by any other class. Throughout the expansions, when the broken, overpowered class came barreling towards you, you knew you were dead, you saw it coming a mile away. All you said was "damn..." However, since the very release of this game, you never saw a Rogue coming for you. There you were, happily grinding the Dark Cultists in Silithus, then your health bar started to drop, and there he was, stabbing you over and over in the back, and you couldn't even move. You never foresaw your death. All it takes is one of these occurrences, and you will always feel the fear of not knowing whether or not you were being stalked by the Rogue. No class has ever matched that unknowing fear of the shadows.

We don't need the holy light, we don't require beasts at our disposal, and we certainly don't need shiny magic effects on our screen. All we need is a dagger and an exposed back. When you kill, and you do it right, your enemy will just sit back in their chair and whisper "***ing Rogue..." There is no greater satisfaction that preying and killing on the unsuspecting, and you shouldn't need a magnificent display of lights and colors to feel it.

Your green meteor may as well be my grin, your spirit beast is the beast within me lurking in the shadows, your deathly ghouls are my blades that have more blood on them than your body has flowing through your veins. Rogues, we don't need any eye-catching abilities and effects. Play to kill, and that will be enough.
Reply Quote
/applaud

Well said.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'm used to writing these for Warriors, but it's the same vein for a Rogue.

You don't need a meteor; you don't need a minion; you don't need an inferno.

No, the only thing a Rogue needs is an opportunity.

And the willingness to seize it.
Reply Quote
78 Blood Elf Rogue
Some new animations though, that don't have to be FLASHY (like a paladin or somesuch) but evoke the sinister mood of this post could be fun. Esp considering how they hand out stealth/invis to other classes (still think camo and mage invis was a mistake).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I have always said to be a true rogue takes finesse. I exploit the fear of a rogue to its fullest. I can't even count how many times I have gone to a node that had two people guarding, and after sapping one they run around blow a few cds and call for others to come help find that bad ole rogue who is scaring them. If I can take people from other places they may be needed just because of the fear I instill, and never even open on them.....I am doing it right. If I wait patiently and pick the right target rather than just jumping into a fight to the closest target, I will change the outcome.

The pretty graphic that I want is the corpse at my feet. The spell effect that I have is one that is not seen ....but I can smell it....it is fear. And there isn't any piece of eye candy that Blizz can offer that will ever be as good as those two.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
amen brother i salute you sir
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
i prefer to pimp walk with my cane
Reply Quote
97 Night Elf Rogue
I notice people like to complain about why Rogues don't have an array of eye-catching, jaw-dropping spell effects and abilities. Why can Warlocks have green fiery meteors , Shamans can summon beasts from the spirit realm, Death Knights raise the very dead from beneath their feet, and other things of that nature? If you find yourself asking these questions, and complaining about them, you need a perspective adjustment.

When it comes to the art of killing, no class bests the Rogue. Warriors put up a close fight, but they are brawlers, masters of weaponry and combat, who tear through enemies with nothing but sheer, brute force. Rogues... Rogues wait, patiently, not just for a target, but the ideal target, the game-changing target. Rogues can pick a fight nobody else can. One in the back, unseen, unnoticed. A fight that not even your teammates will know occurred. The only souls who knew, were you and the now lifeless corpse at your feet. Rogue's may not be the best when it comes to straight combat, but our ruthlessness, cunning, smarts, patience, and knowledge of the art of simply killing, puts us at the top of food chain.

Rogues have a history of instilling a fear, the likes of which that have never been matched by any other class. Throughout the expansions, when the broken, overpowered class came barreling towards you, you knew you were dead, you saw it coming a mile away. All you said was "damn..." However, since the very release of this game, you never saw a Rogue coming for you. There you were, happily grinding the Dark Cultists in Silithus, then your health bar started to drop, and there he was, stabbing you over and over in the back, and you couldn't even move. You never foresaw your death. All it takes is one of these occurrences, and you will always feel the fear of not knowing whether or not you were being stalked by the Rogue. No class has ever matched that unknowing fear of the shadows.

We don't need the holy light, we don't require beasts at our disposal, and we certainly don't need shiny magic effects on our screen. All we need is a dagger and an exposed back. When you kill, and you do it right, your enemy will just sit back in their chair and whisper "***ing Rogue..." There is no greater satisfaction that preying and killing on the unsuspecting, and you shouldn't need a magnificent display of lights and colors to feel it.

Your green meteor may as well be my grin, your spirit beast is the beast within me lurking in the shadows, your deathly ghouls are my blades that have more blood on them than your body has flowing through your veins. Rogues, we don't need any eye-catching abilities and effects. Play to kill, and that will be enough.

Ah indeed all we need is a dagger... to look stupid with the same auto attack animation.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I'd rather have a sword. /shrug
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I agree. Paladins can have their flashy abilities that light them up like a Christmas tree in the ghetto in bgs for us to pwn. I am a rogue not for cheesy graphics, but for the thrill of assassination.

RFL
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
All we need is our daggers, and the RNG gods have blessed me this tier with great early daggers!
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I don't see how that excuses lazy spell graphics. Would you /really/ complain if our abilities didn't look like auto-attacks?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Ok so...nice fluffy talk there but you forget...WoW combat =/= IRL combat.

Even if the rogue literally had ZERO animations other than auto attack (which to be honest....is nearly the case already) do you really think 1/2 of what you said would be true?

Team chat means people will call out when a rogue jumps them....they dont need flashy animations to alert their teammates to a rogue attack.

I seriously dont get the argument of "We shouldnt have cool spell effects or animations because we are rogues and supposed to be stealthy"

Do you really think a visual update would make us less stealthy? Would giving shadow blades a decent noticeable spell effect someone negate all my stealthyness?

I am not asking for giant meteors or fireballs or anything like that. Just good ROGUE appropriate visuals on our skills so I am not repeating the auto attack animation 100000000 times.

What is there to lose?

(Also feral druids say hi.....in fact hunters do as well (though camo is a bit harder to manage than stealth, it can achieve the desired result just as well) )

For reference, take a look at the GW2 thief.

The animations there really do a good job at conveying the feeling of speedy attacks. Quick leaping strikes and rolling evasions do well at giving a nice "agile fighter" look.
Edited by Timat on 3/20/2013 9:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I would not, but I also know that blizzard is incapable of keeping it simple and non-flashy.

How so? Look at rogues (and to some extent warriors)

What are you worried about happening? Do you really think blue will suddenly make rogues call down falling rocks or blinding light?

Come on....say what you want about how they balance the game, but they arent stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
NND
I've read what folks have had to say, all in all, I am satisfied. True Rogues are willing to take what they have been given, and assume their killing happily.

That said, you naysayers need another attitude adjustment. First off, this game is so far from "IRL", that can't even be in this conversation. Secondly, we do have some cool animations, you've just seen them a thousand times and aren't as "cool" as they used to be. When Cloak of Shadows first came out, people thought it was freakin AWESOME. Same with Shadowstep. It wasn't a huge animation, but disappearing into the shadows and reappearing from it felt so good. Same with Fan of Knives, Rogues spammed that for weeks just to look at it. Crimson Tempest is pretty cool too, though not entirely useful in most PvP situations. We have a pretty cool set! If you want quick, agile movements, that all depends on your race. Ever seen an undead female do a flip-strike? Cool stuff.

Point is, we have cool stuff, but when you watch it over and over and over and... yep over again, it loses its once jaw-dropping effect. Same goes for any class for that matter. The point of my post was, in all honesty, to inspire the Rogues, because its true, we don't have as many cool effects that other classes do. I hoped to list off what we do have and, maybe its just me, but that's more than enough.

Last thing, effects are cool, but lets face it, when you are PvPing, in the middle of all of it, spell effects are barely given a second glance, as they don't have your main attention as your target does. Seeing shards of ice raining from the sky? "Oh, just a mage, steer clear of it", and you move on.

Thinking now, and I think only 1 other class had that true "wtf just happened", jaw-is-dropped effect, and that would be Paladins. Back in the day, Ret pallys would spec deep into Protection for the skill Reckoning, which would allow a double-strike. Combine that with the old Seal of Command, where you had a chance upon hit to strike again with holy damage and do major carnage. When the RNG Gods were in your favor, with Reckoning hitting, and both SoCs proccing, and all 4 strikes crit, it was a one-shot, which one never expected from a Ret back then. Now I'm just reminiscing, dammit I miss Vanilla so much. Anyways, carry on fellow Rogues and Rouges, carry on.
Edited by Kreature on 3/22/2013 4:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Rogues are more of the little weaklings playing with toothpicks. Too weak to use anything other than toy weapons, too dumb to use even the simplest of spells, and too ugly to get the ladies.

/hairflip
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
too ugly to get the ladies.

A human calling anything else ugly..

huehuehue
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]