VP Trinket - Yay or Nay?

90 Pandaren Shaman
Soothing Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault

The Intellect is nice, but that ability seems kinda...meh...to me. 29K Mana seems like a lot, but I don't know if I'd rather have some sort of Spirit proc instead, and I already have two trinkets that do that very thing.

So what's the verdict?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I just love that the link you provided says it gives 523 mana - sounds worth it to me ;)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Soothing Talisman is better than both of your trinkets. It's on use assuming it is used once every 3 minutes on average, is worth about 1350 spirit. Which is a little more than spirit of the suns averages, and about the same as the Relic. But you also get 300 more int from your trinket slot.

Upgrading your rings/bracers is probably more economical (valor per output increase) at this point though. Def not cloak yet though, that drops off the first boss in ToT.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Really? I kind of thought the major Spirit bonuses mine give would equate to a more consistent mana regen than 29K mana every 3 minutes. I would have figured I'd just save the VP and try to get two of the 4 trinkets in ToT, all of which seem to provide better capabilities like shields, instant heals or Mana ever 2 seconds for 10 seconds.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Have VP trinkets ever been a viable choice?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
In 2 months time you'll have enough valor to buy everything you'd want, considering the gloves and chest are elemental (haste/mastery) itemized.

The valor trinket is 522 ilvl. Your trinkets are 484(but really it's like 502 quality) and 496. 26 ilvls goes a long ways.

Either way, you should buy the ring/bracers first. Then take a look at the trinket. The only decent trinket in all of T15 in terms of drops is the Horridon trinket. The Polarizing Seal - Heroic, from Will of the Emperor in MSV-H, is BIS this tier. Because T15 trinket drops are that bad. (all the random heal/shield procs are WAY underbudget).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Hmmm, I would have thought the new trinkets would have been good. Well, I got the ring for now, might grab the bracers next unless I can get one from the raid. I'm not in any rush for new trinkets as these two are doing wonders for me at the moment, but we'll see what happens in the future.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
heres a pretty good way of evaluating trinkets, now it isn't ENTIRELY accurate because it doesn't have all the different upgrades to compare against... but yeah 98% accurate is probably good enough to figure out whether its good or not.

http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t130574-resto_its_raining_heals_5_2_a/#Trinkets

if you check some of the links there are more accurate ways of predicting some of the other trinket procs mp5 value (as they now scale with haste) for comparison purposes but suffice to say the trinket is pretty good, better than anything out of LFR and better than anything out of a normal (or heroic really except maybe a 517 ilvl spirit of the sun) from last tier.

As to what to buy when... eh who knows, whatever you buy will drop 10 minutes after you can no longer trade it back for VP right? :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
So if I'm reading it right, the VP trinket is an upgrade for a 2/2 upgraded Relic of Chi-Ji while hanging onto Spirits of the Sun until I can get Horridon's Last Gasp? Well, maybe it is time to replace the Relic, though I figured it would have last longer than this, like how previous Darkmoon cards have...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
2/2 Relic > N-SotS

Bigger proc, bigger static int. Think of the relic as being ilvl 494ish at 0/2 and 502 at 2/2.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
So replace the Spirits? I would have figured it was better since it gave more Spirit when it procs. But I'm not sure on the whole PPM thing.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
SotS's proc has a longer internal CD. You can check out the average spirit from the trinkets if you look at the EJ forum link Nazoikor posted. So on average the Relic gives more spirit from the proc than N-SotS's proc.

The t14 trinkets don't use the PPM system that the t15 trinkets use.
Reply Quote
92 Pandaren Shaman
Now's the real question that or horridons last grasp? My paladin healer was complaining about the lei shen trinket not proccing that much. I have hydra spawn trinket for MTT.
Reply Quote
As it has been pointed out, the Talisman is better than both of your trinkets, although it might vary in value depending on factors such as the average time you get in between uses, number of uses in a fight, etc.

Replace SotS for it, as 2/2 Relic is better than your SotS. Horridon's Last Grasp is, afaik, the best trinket this tier in terms of regen.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
horridons last grasp

By a country mile. It's really the only trinket i am looking forward to this tier. Got the lfr version and tested it out and the fact that it can stack makes it pretty awesome even though it is a little inconsistant at times.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Well, I guess I will look at buying it next time, replacing Spirits. We'll see how much mileage I get out of it with the ability.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Is heroic SotS BiS this tier along with H TF grasp?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Is heroic SotS BiS this tier along with H TF grasp?

Pretty sure it is the H Will trinket and H TF grasp.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
heres a pretty good way of evaluating trinkets, now it isn't ENTIRELY accurate because it doesn't have all the different upgrades to compare against... but yeah 98% accurate is probably good enough to figure out whether its good or not.

http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t130574-resto_its_raining_heals_5_2_a/#Trinkets

if you check some of the links there are more accurate ways of predicting some of the other trinket procs mp5 value (as they now scale with haste) for comparison purposes but suffice to say the trinket is pretty good, better than anything out of LFR and better than anything out of a normal (or heroic really except maybe a 517 ilvl spirit of the sun) from last tier.

As to what to buy when... eh who knows, whatever you buy will drop 10 minutes after you can no longer trade it back for VP right? :)

Soo funny yet sad all at the same time. I buy the VP neck because I am a crit !@#$% and Bamm that night the neck drops in raid then I buy the VP wrists and the next day I get the mastery ones off a coin roll :( I really like to wait for the dust to settle when it comes to trinkets.

P.S When it comes to use trinkets you need to factor in you not using it every cool down so the numbers are inflated.
Edited by Ammethyst on 3/21/2013 2:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I would say get it until you get an upgrade. The mana doesn't seem like a lot, but it can save you in an execution phase when you're oom, whereas a spirit proc would take too long for mana to return.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]