Staghelm Tournament?

90 Tauren Priest
Heya fellow Staghelmians!

So I was thinking about how unfair it is that as a pvper you really don't make much gold. As a pver, you tend to make gold from raids/heroics and such (and yes I know <insert comment about dailies here amiright...>). Now I'm not making this post to whine about gold, I'm just saying this is where the idea came from. I'm sure this is nothing that hasn't been thought of before, but here we go.

So let's say that we run a tournament on Staghelm that goes weekly. The tournament rules will be fairly simple:

1. Pay entrance fee
2. Start a new arena team
3. Obtain the highest rating you can
4. 1st, 2nd, 3rd place in each bracket and on each faction (that partcipated) at the end of the week get gold prize which was generated from the entrance fees.

This would generate some fun competition, and it would give you a chance to win some gold!

So let's say you wanted to join in the tournament. A post on the forums would have been made by the person designated to hold the gold as well as to edit the original post which would list all the teams participating. In order to enter you would post under that post, telling what your team name was (this would be necessary in order to confirm it was a new team) and which bracket(s) you were entering. It wouldn't be necessary to list participants as the team wins the gold and the gold would be given to the person who made the post entering the team (to make things simple for those running the tournament) and that person would give the gold out to his/her teammates. You could use more people than the bracket you're competing in designates (4 people could participate in your 2's team) to gain your rating if you so desired - you would just split the gold up evenly. Your post would be quoted and replied to by the OP, who would confirm you had entered and paid your fee as well as confirming your new team on the armory.

Let's go through an example of possible winnings on a small scale:

- 5 2v2 teams enter into the competition (1,000g in entrance fees)
- The prizes will be split into something like 2/3 of the winnings to 1st (667g), 2/3 of the remainer to 2nd (220g), and the rest to 3rd (113).

Now, of course a 100g per person fee is entirely managable by everyone. The fee could be as much as the Staghelm population can afford, but we would want to keep it within reach of everyone so that anyone can participate if they so choose! Additionally, as indicated above, you may participate in more than one bracket, so your winnings could multiply if you managed to get into a finishing position in more than one bracket!

There could be fun bonuses added later if it caught on. Things like those with double or more wins over losses (and in a finishing position) or 1st place in under a determined number of games could win additional gold or prizes. We could have one week a month in which the entrance fee was doubled in comparison to what it would be normally *shrug*. Anything to make it interesting!

I would like to include something for RBGs, but since you cannot reset your rating that would make things difficult, open to suggestions of course!

We could run the tournament from Tuesday - Sunday evening at predetermined times, and people could sign up for next week's tournament on Monday (this would provide a fair window of time for people to do their games and wouldn't give an unfair advantage to people who might do arenas in, say, the AM instead of PM). Monday could also be the day the prizes were given out (if they weren't already mailed on Sunday night). We would have to ensure to check all teams at the time the tournament ended though, so no one would gain an unfair advantage by playing past the designated time. People would have to reset their teams and begin playing once the "Season" indicator of games played matches "This Week" (this would be how we would ensure people didn't get extra games in). If your "Season" games indicator showed more games played than "This Week" that team would have to start anew, or it wouldn't be eligible for any prizes.

Let me know what you guys think. We've all been so reliant upon Blizzard to make our fun for us, but why not create some fun for ourselves. :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
In game response (courtesy of Zilahko) has allowed me to consider another option!

We can run wargame tournaments as well, I imagine we could apply much of the same rules, and the dates and times would just have to be posted and responded to! We may even be able to set everything up in-game.

It would be especially fun if the participants were able to stream! I know I'm going to be upgrading my internet soon, and with that I think I will attempt to do some streaming as well.

Let's get something started! :D
Reply Quote
The pvpers get 2200 conquest points a week. The pve'ers get 1000 valor a week, but you dont see a pve'er CRYING about that do you? The pvp'ers need to quit !@#$%ing about every little thing that dont go there way and be happy with what they got, and not cry about what they aint got. You want gold do your dailies and be happy you have them.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
@Rcrage

My apologies if what you took from my post was that I was whining about gold. I can see where I might have misled you in the first few lines, but I assure you the last thing on my mind as I was making this post was to complain about currency.

If you don't mind just skimming through some of these points I have quoted from my original post, it may serve to clarify my original point. :)

Heya fellow Staghelmians!
Now I'm not making this post to whine about gold, I'm just saying this is where the idea came from. I'm sure this is nothing that hasn't been thought of before, but here we go.

This would generate some fun competition, and it would give you a chance to win some gold!

There could be fun bonuses added later if it caught on. Things like those with double or more wins over losses (and in a finishing position) or 1st place in under a determined number of games could win additional gold or prizes. We could have one week a month in which the entrance fee was doubled in comparison to what it would be normally *shrug*. Anything to make it interesting!

Let me know what you guys think. We've all been so reliant upon Blizzard to make our fun for us, but why not create some fun for ourselves. :)

So, as indicated by my bolded text, my post was intended as a shoutout to Staghelm to come and give more input on this idea, throw around some ideas, all in the hopes of brining more fun into the picture! What came as a precedent to the whole idea really isn't what matters, it's the idea itself that I was hoping to receive feedback on.

I hope I haven't offended anyone in the same way that I did Rcrage, and I assure you I would love to compete in the tournament moreso for the competition than the gold.

Allorah.
Reply Quote
Now im going to quote an old saying "you say tomatoe i say tomotoe" meaning no matter how you word it in my eyes your crying about not making enough gold from BG's. That is what dailies are for, and i got what you said in first post, you did not need to repost or bold it out. I personally would NOT trust some random person with MY gold for some BG tournament.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Now im going to quote an old saying "you say tomatoe i say tomotoe" meaning no matter how you word it in my eyes your crying about not making enough gold from BG's. That is what dailies are for, and i got what you said in first post, you did not need to repost or bold it out. I personally would NOT trust some random person with MY gold for some BG tournament.

Well, I certainly won't hold your opinion against you. I'm sorry you see it that way. The way I see it, the time and effort it would take to keep the tournament going week after week isn't really worth 1st prize gold anyway. What I mean is, it would be silly for that to be my primary motivation. The real motivation in my mind is to compete, and that makes the effort of putting it all together worthwhile.

If you were worried about someone taking your entrance fee, I guess I may not value gold the same way that you do, and therefore I don't see one or a couple hundred gold as a really big deal. However, if you feel uncomfortable with giving your gold, just ask someone who is comfortable to buy in for you, and then pay them back afterwards *shrug*. Lots of ways around that.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
What would be more interesting- to be honest- is something like a pet battles competition. Something stupid that would bring people on the server together.

You gotta remember, there are some of us here that just aren't interested in PvP.
Edited by Jujubiju on 3/19/2013 2:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
What would be more interesting- to be honest- is something like a pet battles competition. Something stupid that would bring people on the server together.

You gotta remember, there are some of us here that just aren't interested in PvP.

I do realize this, and I was more willing to organize something that I personally was interested in. I may not be speaking to the entirety of Staghelm, but to those that are interested in doing arenas/wargames. A non-combat pet battle tournament would certainly be of interest to a portion of Staghelm though! You are welcome to start one up!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
The pvpers get 2200 conquest points a week. The pve'ers get 1000 valor a week, but you dont see a pve'er CRYING about that do you? The pvp'ers need to quit !@#$%ing about every little thing that dont go there way and be happy with what they got, and not cry about what they aint got. You want gold do your dailies and be happy you have them.

^ Lol

I hope I haven't offended anyone in the same way that I did Rcrage, and I assure you I would love to compete in the tournament moreso for the competition than the gold.

Allorah.

You offended me...like totally </3
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage

YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH BADGES TO CONTROLL ME
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
A non-combat pet battle tournament would certainly be of interest to a portion of Staghelm though! You are welcome to start one up!

/sarcasm on
I need permission?!?
/sarcasm off

YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH BADGES TO CONTROLL ME

Don't forget who is nice enough to invite you to Staghelm ;).

/sarcasm on
Kids these days- I swear- no respect, none.
/sarcasm off
Edited by Jujubiju on 3/20/2013 3:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
/signed for almost any allorah suggestion.

Wargames though, can't control outcomes of arena's. Some people don't want to drop teams, and MMR differences.

But.. you do realize this is a really complicated way to funnel money to the same group of 5-10 players a week? I really don't believe that a group of people that play consistently at a 1400-1800 rating suddenly will be able to take on the couple of 2250+ rated teams on the server. This is also granted, the high rated guys already are at 2/2 upgraded.

Again though, anything you want, I'll participate in, stalk you, and hit you with pointy things. That's worth any gold investment win or lose. :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
/sarcasm on
I need permission?!?
/sarcasm off

My intent wasn't to act as though I was giving you permission haha. Just letting you know that if you wanted to you could and that I wouldn't care to start a tournament of that kind.

Wargames though, can't control outcomes of arena's. Some people don't want to drop teams, and MMR differences.

Yes, you're quite right, some people may wish to keep one team throughout the season and that does present an issue with the way the system would work. I think you're right, as Zilohka mentioned before, a wargame tournament would make more sense.

One of the reasons I suggested doing it the way I did, was so that those who couldn't commit to certain times, or couldn't play at the time that the tournament was held, could compete by simply doing arenas like they would normally. It was out of convenience more than anything that I thought of that system.

But.. you do realize this is a really complicated way to funnel money to the same group of 5-10 players a week?

Once again, and this has been pointed out to me on several occasions (/wink), I seem to have stressed far too much on the gold side of things, and not enough on just doing it for fun. I enjoy doing wargames for the sake of doing them, and gold isn't really a big deal to me. I do realize that it'll be the same people (more than likely) that compete over and over, and to me it's just the same as getting together with your buddies every once in awhile to play poker or some other game in which you bet small amounts of cash and everyone goes home feeling like they had a good time, win or lose. But you don't end up making a heckuva lot of money. The reason I had stressed the gold to begin with was to try to get people interested who might otherwise be disinterested. Not so that I could personally profit as has been indicated.

At any rate, it seems as though there are some people who are interested. I might try to set one up in the near future so keep your eyes on the forums and on trade!

I've mentioned to a few people that I would LOVE to get the tourney streamed if at all possible. It would be fun to watch, even if it's just the people who are competing in the tournament watching. Is there anyone else who might be interested in streaming?
Reply Quote
Well for the most part.. I think we could convince some of our top tier players, to maybe down grade some gear within reason for competitiveness sake.

Notice the thread.. it's all horde. I sincerely doubt factions would be an issue organizing this as well.

What would be a really fun idea, and possibly for community sake.. would be a scramble. Everyone shows up. Throw the money into a pot (You or Quid do NOT get to hold that). Teams are then chosen at random.. GO GO fight.

Rules.. Rilaks can't play, you can't be shadow, I call all time QB drakkus on my team. To be fair, maybe chippy is around and would be willing to be your all time meat shield mana sponge?
Reply Quote
I only brought up the few select players, because they would quite possibly ruin it for anyone else there for fun. They simply have to much experience in their comps, and with the 2/2 upgrade gear.. they will always out-gear everyone.

I was really just not thinking as I typed, but now that I said it, the scramble could be a really good idea. Meet new people. Possibly help less experienced people along. Possibly get stuck on a team with a particular priest and spend your whole time /hugging and /waving as you get pushed in.. You know.. EVENTFUL THINGS
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
I don't really care what we do, if it's pvp related it's bound to be fun in my eyes. :)

What might also be fun, is doing random teams where we mix up all the players on separate teams, and just play with whatever classes are thrown in! ;) That might turn up some hilarious mixes.
Reply Quote
I just said that.. in 2 previous posts. I thought you just lacked attention healing mages. So sad man
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
You or Quid do NOT get to hold that

Edited for humility :P

Rilaks can't play, you can't be shadow

It's always nice to be ostracized, and I'd farm a new set and respec shadow just to spite you :)
Edited by Rilaks on 3/20/2013 8:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
it's the principle of the matter sir. You two have always been a bit suspicious to me.

If you go shadow.. I call all time you on my team too. I'm just gonna put you and drakkus in a RoP and go for smoke breaks.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Honestly I'd just like to see more Stag teams that cared at all about 3s. The representation for us on the ladder is disgraceful. We're Azralon-tier, over here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]