Resto Spirit

92 Troll Shaman
Hey all,

Coming back into the resto shaman world, gearing to step into ToT with the guild. Given the current level of stats on gear and whats soon to be available to me, I was curious how much Spirit others are running with ToT? I'm finding it hard to judge where I'll have to be to feel comfortable without over doing things. While, most of it is going to be dependent on a number of factors --and I'm well aware of that-- I'd just like to get some idea of what others are doing.

I know in the end I'm going to have to make adjustments for my raids ability (to not stand in bad.. well, my ability to not stand in bad mainly O.o) as well as to account for longer fights, etc. etc. But I'd like to know where most of you are sitting and how that feels? I'm currently working at the ~20% haste soft cap, and focusing more on a Crit/Haste build, but of course, still balanced with ~50% mastery.

Also, any thoughts on the Riptide Glyph? I've seen some varying ideas on this and I was wondering what others thought about it. (By varying, I mean alot of "Required" and a few posing objects to this). I'm not sure of the need to use it more than whats feasible unglyphed already? Namely, I can see the benefit for CH, but I feel the same benefit can be achieved with Glyph of Chaining. (10ms). So, any additional thoughts on this are appreciated!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm at just over 10k Spirit, unbuffed, and I want more if I can get it. I've nabbed a few Spiritless upgrades along the way, to catch this shammy up with my guild's raid (swapped from a Mistweaver main over to this shaman in January, had to catch her up with whatever I could grab whenever it dropped), so I'm dealing with a skill deficit (ie, I'm new to raiding on a shaman) as well as a Spirit deficit.

As a resto shaman, providing solid MTT regen is important, and MTT's regen is tied directly to your Spirit.

For Riptide glyph... it's awful (ie... the glyph neuters the ability) and if you spam it enough to "make up" for the lost initial heal, you'll likely be dealing with mana troubles. Meanwhile, the other healers in the raid will often have healed up your Riptide targets anyway, with the remainder of the RTs lost to overheal.

That being said, some of us are cornered into using it when you have to be healing on the move more than SWG can accomodate... many better-than-I-am resto shamans will still say to not use it, even under those circumstances.
Reply Quote
I've got 10.6k Spirit, and that is because I have two non-Spirit pieces right now (which feels dirty). Even so, it does not feel like enough at all, and I try to get as much Spirit as I can before focusing on other secondary stats. Because of Mana Tide, stacking spirit is a good choice in order to benefit your other healers as much as you can from it (more so in 25m than in 10m). People in heroic T14 gear are carrying over 15k and I'd not be surrpised if they were reaching 20k in this tier's gear.
Reply Quote
91 Troll Shaman
F spirit. Convert it all to crit. I rarely if ever have mana probs. Plus, what are we talking about here????? LFR? Heroics? 5 mans? My strat for lfr is to find an inconspicuous way to die early so I can drink coffee and watch Sportscenter. I kid... sort of.

As for glyphs, I play with healing wave, healing stream and swg.

Glyph of riptide is really underwhelming to me. At most, (without it) you'll get one unbuffed healing wave or greater healing wave before RT comes off cd. Most of the time you're spending at least one global between riptides NOT casting a HW or GHW so, it's a straight loss. IMO it's an awful glyph. If the goal is to blanket the raid in a crappy RT HoT, you also lose and should uninstall.

edit* Just re read the OP and saw both the "entering into ToT" and "Chain heal" comments.

We're only up to durumu so far but the fights all seem like sprints to me. Jin Rokh isnt worth mentioning, Horridon is a sprint to p2 (loot should drop as soon as the last door is destroyed), Council is a sprint to get sul down then coast. Tortos is super short. Megaera is also short. Jikun is short and to this point that's the limit on my knowledge.

With regards to CHain Heal. I almost never use it (in ten man). I can't even think of a fight where it's all that useful and I certainly wouldn't glyph it. I can't imagine a situation where Iwould think to myself "everyone's spread out and kind of low, thank god I glyhed chain heal!"

Most of the fights (from your perspective) will revolve around the well timed use (and re-use) of Healing Tide and Ascendance. The rest is just RT, HW, GHW, Healing Rain and Healing Stream filler.
Edited by Taozin on 3/20/2013 8:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Troll Shaman
F spirit. Convert it all to crit. I rarely if ever have mana probs. Plus, what are we talking about here????? LFR? Heroics? 5 mans? My strat for lfr is to find an inconspicuous way to die early so I can drink coffee and watch Sportscenter. I kid... sort of.

I always used to run away from the raid on Unseen Strike in HoF. "Lol, nubtard" was the result from the LFRers with me... they had a good laugh... up until they realized the intent to go smoke and grab some coffee. :P "have fun killing it, off for my dose of cancer!"

Anyway, while I noticed my gear is all mixed up at the moment (guess i need to update those "gear sets" for switching), thus the the probable confusion on what I'm intending to run. :o 10m Normals is the goal, with the occasional 25m when we have the numbers. Towards the end, depending on speed of content we'll probably step into Heroics. (Much like my DS progression)..

** also, isn't it evident I started posting JUST BEFORE i read your edit 1/2 thru? :P

With regards to CHain Heal. I almost never use it (in ten man). I can't even think of a fight where it's all that useful and I certainly wouldn't glyph it. I can't imagine a situation where Iwould think to myself "everyone's spread out and kind of low, thank god I glyhed chain heal!"

ALL THE TIME! =D ... O.o

Having not really done the new LFRs (once on pt 1) yet I'm not too super familiar with any of the fights (from a healing side, been doing them on my rogue in lfr and normal). Thus, prompting alot of the questions. What I've gathered from other threads was the -> "Running + Dmg during the Running" in the tier was problematic for most shamans. We don't seem to be too viable for most encounters this tier -- or at least, many feel the toolset is lacking.

My thoughts were this is why many were supporting Glyphed Riptide -- to spam these out during these times? I was just thinking along these lines, a [Riptide + CH (glyphed)] might produce a better result... (esp. if the majority of complaints is the "Spreading" of the raid).

Seems there is some debate, or rather varying ideas on it, in the thread.

Thanks for the feedback!

=D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]