DW vs. 2H for 5.2 BrewMasters

90 Pandaren Monk
Was wondering if anyone else had seen any definitive answers behind whether the absolute BIS for this tier be a 2 hander or dual-wielding. I know that in 5.1 dual-wielding was preferred due to having 2 dancing steels.

Keep calm, and stagger on.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I would imagine that might be a clincher. In my opinion it still boils down to your preference for the benefits one has over the other.

Dual wield is very slightly higher damage, and grants more (but more erratic) stacks of elusive brew.

2H is smoother stack generation, and somewhat higher GotOx generation.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
I still prefer DW, probably b/c I got the 1h axe from ToT LFR last night (lucky me). However, I started out 2h tanking and after getting my first raid weapon (MSV fist weap) I swapped to DW; I haven't look back since.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
DW still brings smoother EB stack generation, which is even better now that the cooldown is only six seconds.

If you have equal ilvl weapons I would go DW, otherwise whatever is the highest ilvl.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I'm not that familiar with monk tanking, I mostly heal. However I am interested in this. I tanked quite a bit on my DK and I know a big issue there with DW used to be getting parried by the boss more often -> more damage taken. (this was a couple years ago so obviously things may have changed) Is this not the case with monks? Just curious.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You gain a large amount more stats and combat ratings from using a 2h over dual wield which is nice. Elitest Jerks recommends using a 2h over dual wield as well if both are equal ilvl.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm not that familiar with monk tanking, I mostly heal. However I am interested in this. I tanked quite a bit on my DK and I know a big issue there with DW used to be getting parried by the boss more often -> more damage taken. (this was a couple years ago so obviously things may have changed) Is this not the case with monks? Just curious.

Parry Haste was removed from bosses in Cata, so it won't be an issue. Even if it was still there with 15% Exp (which most BMs have), you wouldn't get parried anyway, making it a non issue.
Edited by Chundashi on 4/4/2013 11:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
Pros and Cons for each.

DW has an easier time retaining EB stacks/gaining them consistently but has fewer GotO procs.

2h is much spikier in EB generation which is both good and bad (I've had the fortune of being able to pop 15-stack EBs back to back multiple times) but doesn't retain them as easily. GotO procs occur more often as well, it feels, but not enough to be deciding.

It's really if you prefer Hexagonal Staff Style or Iron Fist Style.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Personally I don't think 2H can compare once you have both DW weapons primsatically socketed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]