Brutal Talisman for tanking

90 Orc Warrior
Just wondering if anyone was looking at brutal talisman of the shado-pan assault for tanking. It's good if you are looking to cap expertise and the strength obviously adds some parry (along with threat, etc.)

Also the other trinkets this patch are garbage.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Eh. It's not great. The expertise is nice, the on-use strength is on-use avoidance but weaker.

The poor trinket selection this patch is why I worked so hard to get the ones I have. They need to last me until next tier... well, at least one of them does. I want the stamina/shield on use one.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
<3 being a druid so many choices.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Krinu- Fair enough, thanks for the opinion.

Felshifter- jealous...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Eh. It's not great. The expertise is nice, the on-use strength is on-use avoidance but better.

Fixed.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
I'm going to be getting it.

Its basically a direct upgrade to lessons of the darkmaster

Not a fan of the icon though.
Edited by Ðemolition on 3/11/2013 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
No. Ji-Kun's Rising Winds are significantly better, Strength isn't a good threat or mitigation stat for any tank, and the other VP trinket (mastery w/ dodge onuse) is perfectly itemized for what we want through T15.

I mean if you're looking at just to improve your DPS, knock yourself out. But if you wanted that you could just roll Monk for a 10m and go up like 30k from that alone vs being a Prot Warrior :P
Edited by Kangamooster on 3/11/2013 1:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
Are you saying the stacking STR one from Ji kun is more DPS than assault, or the one with the heal proc is a better trinket to use than either (herp derp)
Edited by Ðemolition on 3/11/2013 1:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
The heal one, but keep in mind I literally always just think in terms of gearing for survivability for Prot Warriors. Outside of 25m I just don't think we do enough damage even with Heroic Strike spamming for gearing for DPS to be a thing, and on 25m you get hit hard enough that you do need to gear for survivability.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Personally, I actually like the Brutal Talisman. I need a metric ****ton of Exp to cap which I could only reach through large-scale gemming and reforging. Getting it this way let me reforge quite a bit of Exp into other stats.

Plus, for Paladins, STR is a very good tanking stat. Its ~99% as good as Parry defensively and while not a great threat stat its at least a decent one. Think of the STR proc as being a proc that gives you both 8800 Parry AND Crit.

Yeah, the other VP one was nice (Mastery is a good tanking stat, obviously) but the on-use Avoidance kinda left me cold. I mean, sure, in an AoE tanking situation it could be terrific, but if I have to put the button on my bar and devote a couple brain-cells to thinking about it, I want it to do something, ideally vs magic (or at least unavoidable damage which the big bursts tend to be).

As others have noted, the tanking trinket options this tier are pretty weak.
Edited by Wrathblood on 3/11/2013 6:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
As others have noted, the tanking trinket options this tier are pretty weak.

Ehh...

Honestly I like them more than our options last tier.

They made effectively like two trinkets but made 8 versions of the same thing and called them different trinkets.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
They've been fond of making the secondary on-use/stacking/proc/whatever abilities of trinkets be avoidance or STR based this expansion. For prot paladins, especially this tier, that's a lot better than it used to be. I'd still rather have STAM, but I'm getting to the point where I shouldn't mind Avoidance instead of Haste or Mastery as a "good" tanking stat yet it still irks me a bit. I toss that argument at other folks fairly often but I admit to being quietly guilty of it myself.

With Mastery or Haste, there's the illusion that its giving you a nice granular decrease to your damage taken (unlike that nasty spiky avoidance) but in truth its not. Armor (and Stamina) are the only stats that linearly reduce the % of your health taken off by each blow. Avoidance is spikier than Mastery but the gap is much smaller than intuition says. Whether or not its spikier than Haste is arguable and mostly depends on what definition of "spiky" you use.
Edited by Wrathblood on 3/12/2013 4:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I bought it. :D I love it.

The only fight that I don't use the Haste trinket from WoTE and that expertise trinket (so far) has been Ji-Kun where I swapped to the relic of niazu, trying to dodge the applications of that dot (not the big one, the little one that stacks up). /shrug

Can't wait for the rest of the DPS trinkets to be mine mine mine.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
As you can see, Krig, there are different approaches. They all work. Pick one you like and go with it ;)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
As you can see, Krig, there are different approaches. They all work. Pick one you like and go with it ;)

So true!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]