How do healers expect to gear up?

90 Human Paladin
How do healers expect to gear up when dps classes now use spirit gear/weapons.
its just heartbreaking when an amazing healer weapon that is a total upgrade for you
as a healer is given to a dps class because spirit gives them hit?

- Dps have such a wide range of weapons ( boomkings/Sprists/etc have the caster sword in toes, the staff in toes, the mace in HoF, and so on)
- while non staff using healers only have two options ( sword in toes ( such a lack of spirit though, ) or the mace ( witch is gold)
- how do we keep up in gear when we have such few drops that are actually good for us?

(sorry for the QQ thread, just a little disappointing in blizzard )

- Can healers get spirit from hit than?!?!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Druids and priests cant use swords?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Druids and priests cant use swords

Besides DPS are more important than you in a progression environment and will mostly get gear over you in a top end guild.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't know about your guild but spirit weapons always go to healers first in ours.
depending on previous weapon and attendance aswell.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
There are 7 T14 weapons with int on them:

Un'sok's Amber Scalpel: Dagger, spirit, usable by shaman, druid, priest(mages/locks dont use spirit)
Kri'tak, Imperial Scepter of the Swarm: Mace, spirit, usable by shaman, priest, pally, druid
Loshan, Terror Incarnate: Sword, no spirit, usable by pallys, mages, locks.
Jin'ya, Orb of the Waterspeaker: Staff, no spirit, usable by mages, locks, priests, druids, shaman
Regail's Crackling Dagger: Dagger, no spirit, usable by shaman, priest, mages, locks, druid
Torch of the Celestial Spark: Wand, no spirit, usable by priest, mage, lock
Tihan, Scepter of the Sleeping Emperor: Mace, spirit, usable by shaman, priest, pally, druid

Boomkin: Can use 5 of the 7 weapons, only 2 have no spirit
SPriest: Can use 6 of the 7 weapons, only 3 have no spirit
Ele Shaman: Can use 5 of the 7 weapons, only 2 have no spirit

Only 3 of 7 weapons available lack spirit, so your perceived "few drops that are actually good for you" is incorrect. The majority of int weapons in t14 had spirit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Also, as a paladin, you could use only 3 of the 7 drops, but 2 of them have spirit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
03/12/2013 10:33 AMPosted by Eikocarol
Druids and priests cant use swords

Besides DPS are more important than you in a progression environment and will mostly get gear over you in a top end guild.

That is BS.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Ask any world first guild unless they run into a tank or healer gear check that they can't beat gear goes to dps over both tanks and healers now.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/12/2013 10:45 AMPosted by Socorro

That is BS.

It's not.

Tanks get their 4pc and then gear is generally prioritized to DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
You don't need spirit on a weapon. You need ilvl on a weapon. If an int weapon is 5+ ilvls higher and has hit rating on it... it probably is an upgrade (sha touched aside) even if the weapon's secondary stats are bad because it has so much more spell power.

That being said... Holy Paladins have more weapon choices than ret pallies did.

In general though, Holy Paladins have always had fewer weapon choices than other healers due to so many healer weapons historically being daggers/staves.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/12/2013 10:51 AMPosted by Pitkanen
You don't need spirit on a weapon. You need ilvl on a weapon. If an int weapon is 5+ ilvls higher and has hit rating on it... it probably is an upgrade (sha touched aside) even if the weapon's secondary stats are bad because it has so much more spell power.

That entirely depends on the class and how much gear they already have.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
a total upgrade for you as a healer is given to a dps class because spirit gives them hit

Because it's so hard for dps to cap hit? It's nice for the specs that have spirit conversions (which is actually only 3, I think -- mages and locks don't get anything from spirit and paladins and monks' non-healing specs are all melee with different primary stats) to not be completely hosed by spirit on gear, but they really shouldn't be taking priority on it when it does so much more for healers. It's not like there isn't lots of int/hit gear anyway.

However, if you're stuck with the gear priorities your guild has already decided on, I can only suggest LFR. Unfortunately there are no valor weapons.

Looking over that list, though, it's kind of shocking to see only 1 staff in the entire tier (and from the next to last boss, at that). Not that more staffs would help a holy paladin directly, but they might cut down on the competition once some of the other casters (whether heals or dps) got them.
Reply Quote
Healers don't need gear as bad as dps do. If you are a skilled healer you will be able to heal pretty much any normal content right now with only 465-470 ilvl (ok maybe a little bit higher ilvl). Now with dps, it doesn't matter how skilled they are because their dps is "soft capped" depending on their current ilvl, that's why you don't see 460ilvl dps doing 100k dps without cooldowns etc. Plus MOAR DPS = less healing throughout an encounter. I personally, as a healer, pass on gear purposely to dps if I'm not having a hard time healing the content.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Healers don't need gear as bad as dps do. If you are a skilled healer you will be able to heal pretty much any normal content right now with only 465-470 ilvl (ok maybe a little bit higher ilvl). Now with dps, it doesn't matter how skilled they are because their dps is "soft capped" depending on their current ilvl, that's why you don't see 460ilvl dps doing 100k dps without cooldowns etc. Plus MOAR DPS = less healing throughout an encounter. I personally, as a healer, pass on gear purposely to dps if I'm not having a hard time healing the content.
I'd like to see the 2 healing 10N Lei Shin with 475 ilvl healer parse (:
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I dont think anyone should be prioritized in gear rolls unless it's off an spec/main spec thing or your guild is in need of a certain role especially with LFR's and personal loot. Otherwise, luck of the draw.

I mean if a mage is rolling on spirit gear that's different but if a shadow priest or an ele shaman needs spirit gear, what can you do they need it too?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
tlc
So roll on the non-spirit weapons when they drop. I would not care if a shadow priest or boomkin beat me out on a spirit weapon. After reforging a non-spirit weapon is going to be what, 150 spirit behind? Who cares.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
A lot of top end guilds assign gear based on whether or not it will help them get farther in progression. Not being from a top end guild i am not exactly sure of the criteria but usually gear will filter through the dps before the healers and based on experience this makes sense. Fights tend to get easier as dps increases (how many times as a healer have you wished that the add that does that horrible horrible thing would just die faster). The healing required of an encounter will get smaller as you learn the fight because mechanics that are supposed to be avoided are getting avoided (except for that one bad warlock who always dies to stuff). And if you are hitting the hard enrage of a boss it doesn't make much sense to give gear to a healer over a dps in this case because you obviously have the healing for the encounter and as soon as you kill this new boss, that is another 2-5 pieces of gear a week for your raid.

Even with that in mind, most guilds that do that are rather good about distributing gear (they won't keep funneling gear to dps when the fight they are working on is a healing check).

However, most guilds don't need to do that. Ours just use a simple roll and we are good natured enough that if one of our members is still using a 437 green then we don't have a problem saying "Here you take it".
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
How do healers expect to gear up?

I thought it might be funny to just point out that, even with your "reasons" of why they can't gear, all you have to do is run raids. LFR if you have to, like I do with this character. Every drop I got from LFR as DPS was healing gear. Was it luck or just more people playing a long term game like WoW that have zero patience, and then chosing to complain about things being "too hard" again?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
So as far as you're concerned, OP, all the non healer casters should have to fight over 3 weapons in an entire tier, and healers should get the run of all 7?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think there should be a death match
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]