My Take on Hunters

90 Human Hunter
Been scrolling through the forums recently, and I see plenty of posts about "Nerf this class" or "Buff me please" based on personal experience.

Obviously, as a hunter who has less than 10 days played at end game, the only class that I feel I can adequately address is my own.

STAMPEDE

Stampede is absolutely HUGE for pressure. It pops out all of the stabled pets and they all attack a target, obviously making the enemy panic.

Myth: OMG Stampede is way op its like a 1 shot spell it kills me whenever its popped.

Fact: Stampede is one of the most over-rated hunter abilities. it pops out 4 more pets (1 already called) that do 25% damage. Which means that for popping out 4 pets, I'm doing 100% pet damage, and I cannot use my pet cooldowns with these pets (blink strike, kill command, stuns of any kind). Although nice, it lasts a mere 20 seconds for a 5 minute cooldown. This is easily countered by any AoE root or fear, or even aggro dump. The biggest factor of this spell is pressure. It is on a 5 minute cooldown, and therefore is not affected by Readiness.

BLINK STRIKE

This, in relation to Stampede, is absolutely under-rated.

Blink strike has a 20 second cooldown. It delivers 600% pet damage to the opponent, anywhere within 40 yards of the target. Using blink strike also allows me to control exactly where I want my pet to be instantly. I feel that if any hunter ability should be nerfed, this should be the one.

BEAST WITHIN

Bestial Wrath is extremely beneficial but easily countered.

When fighting a hunter in an Arena Match, pay close attention to this ability.
While this is popped (it is a buff that is activated by using Bestial Wrath), the hunter and his pet are cleared of all stuns/fears/roots/ etc. Along with this, the hunter does 10% additional damage and decreases focus cost of spells by 50%. The spell, Bestial Wrath, is on a 1 minute cooldown, therefore it is reset by readiness.

This is huge, obviously. It gives the hunter a second trinket, and allows them to burst out as much damage as humanly (or night-elfly in my case) possible.

HOW TO COUNTER IT:
When a Hunter opens on someone, they must use Bestial Wrath to maximize damage. DO NOT CC THE HUNTER UNTIL THIS IS UP. Otherwise, you are wasting a cc, and the hunter can use an ability that he would have used anyway, with the added affect of breaking your cc.

Once the hunter opens, this is popped, and he is going hard, use a soft CC. something like a cheap should do fine. Any CC that lasts around 5secs, most hunters will use this ability to break, especially if they have the offensive cooldowns up. After the hunter Bestial Wraths that cc (assuming Bestial wrath was off cooldown), Hit em with a bigger cc (fear, sleep, etc.). While in this fear or sleep, a hunter cannot use readiness, and will be forced to use his trinket to escape. Obviously in any arena situation, trinket management is key.

This is all I have the patience to type. If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback, feel free to post and I will do my best to reply.
Edited by Salamence on 3/18/2013 11:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
If you wish me to explain another hunter ability, and my outlook on it, feel free to request it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Haha thanks
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Shaman
I'd like you to explain double deterrence and why that you should be allowed to Beast Wrath, Stampede, Trinket, Blinkstrike, and then Deter. Then, Readiness to Trinket, Beast Wrath Blinkstrike, and then Deter a second time and have taken absolutely no damage with no way to counter it?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
@Azuly and OPer Yeah, from what I have been seeing on the forums, it'd more about our instant ccs and damage reductions. Stampede and MoC are just more a nuisance than OP'd damage dealer.
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Shaman
I'm still a firm believer that the only immunity in the game should be bubble. But out of all the immunities, Deterrence is the most OP.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
But out of all the immunities, Deterrence is the most OP.

Why?
Reply Quote
58 Orc Death Knight
My only issue with hunters is while they are setting up their CC they don't lose any damage. Their pet makes up 50%+ of their damage so using scatter -> trap they don't lose that much damage during the globals.

Otherwise, hunters are pretty easily countered by Spriests fearing on the pet(s) + Mass dispel for traps. They still do insane amounts of damage in a scatter -> pet stun -> silence shot if they can't get a trap.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'd like you to explain double deterrence and why that you should be allowed to Beast Wrath, Stampede, Trinket, Blinkstrike, and then Deter. Then, Readiness to Trinket, Beast Wrath Blinkstrike, and then Deter a second time and have taken absolutely no damage with no way to counter it?

yeah because people do that above 1200 rating in 3s
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 12:44 PMPosted by Darican
But out of all the immunities, Deterrence is the most OP.

Why?

Deterrence
Instant 2 min cooldown
Requires Hunter
Requires level 78
When activated, causes you to deflect melee attacks, ranged attacks, and spells, and reduces all damage taken by 30%. While Deterrence is active, you cannot attack. Lasts 5 sec.

Divine Shield
Instant 5 min cooldown
Requires Paladin
Requires level 18
Protects you from all damage and spells for 8 sec, but reduces all damage you deal by 50%.
Cannot be used on a target with Forbearance. Causes Forbearance for 1 min.

Ice Block
15 Mana
Instant 5 min cooldown
Requires Mage
Requires level 26
You become encased in a block of ice, protecting you from all physical attacks and spells for 10 sec, but during that time you cannot attack, move or cast spells.
Causes Hypothermia, preventing you from recasting Ice Block for 30 sec.

I see that the CD is shorter than the other two by 3 mins but also the other two are +3, +5 secs longer. I'm not too sure that Deter is a super op bubble, however they do need to add a debuff with it like the other two so it can't be used with readiness everytime.

Possible debuff- Causes Weariness, preventing Deterrence from being recasted for 1 min(or accordingly)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
you can't shatter or md deterrance, you can readiness it, and its a low cooldown
Reply Quote
03/19/2013 12:54 PMPosted by Ratlordx

No hunter over 1200 does this and PS readiness does not reset trinket... also only pet abilities can be cast while in deterrence so it is more or less a pacify.
Reply Quote
you can't shatter or md deterrance, you can readiness it, and its a low cooldown

why dont you just swap target for 5 seconds and if they are stupid enough to double deter stay off them for 10 seconds? whats the big problem?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Deterrencing a BW is pretty much a last resort. No one is going to pop BW and then be like lol i'm gonna be immune to all damage muahahahahah! The only situation in which you are going to BW Deter is when you are totally screwed, not when you want to get way ahead.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
My only issue with hunters is while they are setting up their CC they don't lose any damage. Their pet makes up 50%+ of their damage so using scatter -> trap they don't lose that much damage during the globals.

Otherwise, hunters are pretty easily countered by Spriests fearing on the pet(s) + Mass dispel for traps. They still do insane amounts of damage in a scatter -> pet stun -> silence shot if they can't get a trap.

Not all hunters play BM

Just sayin.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Not all hunters play BM

Just sayin.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

Any hunter that deters while bursting isnt a threat to you lol. I dont quite understand the order you put the spells in, if theyre directly in a row or not. Thats the same thing with mages though. they can block, snap, block. While deterred we cant attack (i believe we can use some pet abilities though), it lasts 5 secs, and we continue to take (reduced) damage from dots. In arenas its a good idea to force at least one deterrence before you open hard on a hunter
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I'm still a firm believer that the only immunity in the game should be bubble. But out of all the immunities, Deterrence is the most OP.

In deterrence, you cannot attack. In Divine Shield you can, although it is reduced damage. Also, Divine Shield lasts several seconds longer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Not all hunters play BM

Just sayin.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]