Zandalari Warbringer Mage Soloing

98 Worgen Mage
I've been spending the past week soloing a lot of Warbringers. Mages are well-equipped to take them on. Slows, stuns, and cast time speed increases all work on these rare spawns. They have a hefty amount of HP though, and it might take you 5-6 minutes to burn through. It sucks though if someone tries to grief you though through evade taunt bugging or if there's heavy camping on your high pop. There's 3 different colors of Direhorns to collect, and they'll drop a few rep insignias and bags of Zandalari supplies.

Anyhow, feel free to leave any questions or comments regarding your own Warbringer soloing here.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Just killed my first warbringer today, not a lot to say about it, make sure your frostbolt slow never falls off, even when you have to kite some of the combined mechanics. Try to obliterate scarabs before they touch you, don't let the warbringer ever get in melee range.

Frostjaw/Nova/pet freeze/deep freeze will all be your friend.

I think I only ever got hit once and it dropped me to ~60%, scarabs mobbed me at one point for 10-20% through IB. Not a perfect kill but I went in blind and had never even watched their abilities before.
Edited by Harlach on 3/18/2013 2:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Which spec are you using for this? I can get a reasonable kiting rotation going, but he always seems to have windows of time where he catches up and does more damage than I can heal through.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Yeah I've got two of the mounts and tons of money and mats thanks to being on a dead server.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
I do it as frost.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Love being realid friends with people on low-pop servers.

I've done it on my rogue with shuriken toss/deadly throw and a bit of kiting with burst of speed. My mage is almost 90, and I'll prolly farm these suckers to cap rep with the different factions. As far as killing the warbringer goes, is frost the only viable spec for kiting the warbringer, or is it possible with fire? I prefer frost anyway, but how is our mobile damage with this spec? I assume NT is the only way to go.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Without having it constantly slowed it seems pretty crappy. I guess Arcane would be fine right? Frost seems like the fastest way to get it done though.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Without having it constantly slowed it seems pretty crappy. I guess Arcane would be fine right? Frost seems like the fastest way to get it done though.

You would probably do it as fire using FFB, right?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
You can rock their worlds as fire. I glyph Frostfire Bolt and cast it every time it goes to do a special ability. Incanter's Ward speeds things up with the scarabs as well.

If you want to be safe, grab Blazing Speed. Blink is more than enough though
Reply Quote
98 Worgen Mage
I've done it as both Frost and Arcane personally on my main Mage and alt Mage. Arcanes on par with Frost because the 50% cast speed increase makes his casts take forever, and if he's casting he's not moving.

Recommended talents:

Ice Barrier (lets you take a melee swing every so often if you run out of kiting room or make a mistake)
Blazing Speed
Frost Bomb (it's like he's not moving at all with a 70% slow)

Frostjaw probably works too.
Edited by Digerati on 3/18/2013 3:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
03/18/2013 03:00 PMPosted by Taymage

You would probably do it as fire using FFB, right?

The FFB slow falls off very quickly. It would probably be frustrating as hell.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Yeah I solo them as Frost. I usually end up with people standing around watching me do it. haven't tried it with Frost Bomb yet. I Just Nether Tempest them while they are frozen for nice chunks of damage. I have no problem without the extra slow. I also really like Super Blink (Blazing Speed + Blink) for times when I find myself, sometimes intentionally, in close with the Warbringer.

For added challenge, try soloing a Warbringer and a Scout at the same time! I had a Scout spawn on top of me while kiting the Warbringer and it was pretty crazy.
Edited by Methusulä on 3/18/2013 4:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Hahaha better delete this topic because the new warbringers spawning on Ysondre are now immune to slows and roots.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Hahaha better delete this topic because the new warbringers spawning on Ysondre are now immune to slows and roots.

WOW. That is lame. Guess just tanks get to solo things.
Reply Quote
98 Worgen Mage
It seems to be an unintentional side effect of making them taunt immune. I tweeted Blizzard about making them taunt immune, which they did, but it seems we can't slow them either ><
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
ughhhh i keep wanting to try and solo these guys for the mount but man, wpvp servers.... you cant go near the spawn location without being hit by at least 10 opposite faction..
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
It seems to be an unintentional side effect of making them taunt immune. I tweeted Blizzard about making them taunt immune, which they did, but it seems we can't slow them either ><

The !@#$? I finally solo something cool and they then make it impossible? Are you %^-*ting me? As if it isn't hard enough to get a kill on a pvp server. God damnit, I don't even know why I bother anymore.

I blame digerati for this.
Edited by Harlach on 3/18/2013 7:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
98 Worgen Mage
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8197182227#12

Seems they're looking into it if it was intended or not. Hopefully we can continue soloing them.
Edited by Digerati on 3/18/2013 8:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage
They can still be soloed as a mage. I did 2 of them yesterday. Just have to save ice barrier for when he gets too close, and stagger blazing speed and blink. I still use frost as I mostly just NT the mob and spend my FFB procs as they come, plus the ele can cast on the move. Also, save frozen orb for the scarabs, as they are pretty much free icelances.

If you lose your Ice Barrier, spend Mirror images. If you are out of that, then IB until blink or blazing are off cooldown. If you are really having trouble, spec cold snap for an extra ice block.

If you exhaust all of these options, you need to go back to Vanilla and learn some kiting skills. I kid. But no really, you need some kiting skills.

The Townlong, dread wastes are fairly easy to kite with the terrain. I had several close calls on the one in Krasarang with the island he is on being so small.
Edited by Raves on 3/19/2013 8:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Gonna be much tougher now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]