ret v lock,, ummm help

90 Human Mage
Im getting feared across the map, 30% of my health knocked off, feared.. another 30% gone,.. feared.. dead...

Playing ret .. how do you keep from getting kited to death by locks, spriests, hunters and frost mages?

locks have been the worst for me in arena
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Depends on what the situation is. Since you're talking about arenas I'll assume that's what you want advice on.

Locks have quite a lot of health and can sponge a lot of damage as a result, so bursting one down through a healer during CC isn't likely to happen. Nor can you just last through a crucial burst and then ignore them like a rogue. Control is probably your best bet. If you're paired with a disc priest (which is recommended) they can dispel fears off you, so that should help quite a bit. Stay on top of the warlock and interrupt chaos bolts. Save FoJ for when they horrify you to cast a chaos bolt, or if they teleport away.

If you stay on top of them, play conservatively until they pop their giant self heal and don't let them free cast, they'll eventually be vulnerable to trinket+wings (and HA and GoAK if they really need it.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
One thing i find helpful is fearing their pet with turn evil. Just use the insta cast glyph.

If he is desto dont rebuke his incinerate. Save rebuke for the chaos bolt. That way they cant cast shadow school so no fearing.

If demo, save dp and devo aura for demon form. Foj once they go demon. Try and keep them on the run so they cant cast chaos wave.

If aff, just take hand of purity and /lol at them :)

If they pop dark bargain, pop your cds and try to stuck to them. That bubble returns dmg as a dot when its over. So unless they get fully healed up, once it drops they are going to die.

All i can think of right now
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
As a Ret, you have to know when to GTFO, hide and heal. This happens a lot. You will have to bite your time while wings is on cooldown. It's that simple. You have to use all of your tools to stay alive, that includes kiting, switching to pets to build HP, judging whoever you can to build HP, anything just to continue to heal until you force your opponent to switch targets.

Your partner will have to peel a lot but you can almost live forever if you do it right. Yesterday I had a 10 minute match running 2 DPS (Ret/Boomkin) vs a Lock/Disc. The lock could not land a kill through my heals, eventually we were able to gib the priest.

Playing Ret is an uphill battle in most situations, maximizing Flash of Light's potential is your best bet. At the end of the match I mentioned above, I ended up doing just as much healing as the Priest. FoL is your bread and butter, that's how you survive but it takes a lot more brain power than the straight up damage mitigation other classes get but then again, that's part of the fun imo.
Edited by Zombgief on 3/19/2013 9:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Don't listen to Candy. During dark bargain, use that time to heal or hardswitch to the healer. Dark bargain negates all damage and only returns 50% of it at the end with an 8 second duration DoT.

If you're running double DPS however, focusing the warlock during dark bargain without cooldowns will set up a very strong burst window, so save your wings and trinket for after DB.
Reply Quote
You have to come to the realization that GC has brought PVP to a point where clothies are no longer glass cannons. They are just cannons. Big ol' tank battleship shooting everything your way while you tickle them cannons.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Don't listen to Candy. During dark bargain, use that time to heal or hardswitch to the healer. Dark bargain negates all damage and only returns 50% of it at the end with an 8 second duration DoT.

If you're running double DPS however, focusing the warlock during dark bargain without cooldowns will set up a very strong burst window, so save your wings and trinket for after DB.

whats the animation on Dark Bargain please?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Edit: My mistake, it's a purple skull over the warlock's head. The red barrier is sacrifice, which sacs 25% of either their pets health if they have one, or their health if they don't, for 400% of the damage sacrificed as an absorb shield.
Edited by Stmichael on 3/20/2013 11:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]