Q: Ret , Holy or Quit

90 Human Paladin
What are you guys going to do? we all know RET is unplayable but i really want to gear it... i wont get accepted into decent RBGs in a few weeks if i don't upgrade. This game really isn't enjoyable when you have to play a different spec with dreams that one day RET will be decent again.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ret is decent, just don't think its like a warrior or death knight.

RBG wise don't expect much for ret but arena and PvP in general out side of RBG's is highly enjoyable IMO
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What makes you say ret is unplayable lol

he's right about RBG's. ret is a bit of a joke there, and it awards the highest conquest cap

If you're unhappy then quit. What's the point of a game if you're not having fun?

it's difficult because the spells are cool and transmog is snazzy

RBG wise don't expect much for ret but arena and PvP in general out side of RBG's is highly enjoyable IMO

sounds about right
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There's a difference between unplayable and undesired, the former more accurately describing ret's lot in RBGs. This is an issue plaguing most melee specs, not just ret. The huge gap in points rewarded between RBGs and arena of equal rating is widely criticized.

I hate when people say this, but you're arguing semantics. Ret is basically unplayable in RBG's because the truly powerful specs have twice the utility and you're not going to find a group unless you're known on your server as "that Ret" or if you put the group together yourself. In the latter case, people are still gonna sh!t talk and you'll have the occasional player who joins the group, sees a Ret, and leaves.

The OP is right that the situation is realistically a lot of Rets are forced to respec or quit. Other melee specs being in the same boat doesn't change this. And yes, as you say, the point gap between arena and RBG's sucks because otherwise Ret seems pretty good in arena.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Ret is basically unplayable in RBG's because the truly powerful specs have twice the utility and you're not going to find a group unless you're known on your server as "that Ret" or if you put the group together yourself.

PvP in general out side of RBG's is highly enjoyable IMO

I must admit, random BGs are fun.

I mostly PVE now, pvp for kicks :) Still have a blast mowing down the horde in BGs.
175k+crits on unsuspecting people is fun too lol/
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hafluer's right, although I'd add we're bottom rung for arenas when compared to casters and other melee.

We're still viable, but we're definitely the underdog.

That said, I recommend playing what aesthetically appeals to you. It's the only reason I remain ret.
Edited by Caedwyn on 3/19/2013 9:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
25 Worgen Mage
What are you guys going to do? we all know RET is unplayable but i really want to gear it... i wont get accepted into decent RBGs in a few weeks if i don't upgrade. This game really isn't enjoyable when you have to play a different spec with dreams that one day RET will be decent again.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/arena/tichondrius/3v3/The%20Ret%20Dream/

Rank #13 on the hardest, most competitive battle group there is.

Yeah.. ret is so gimp.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
JASIRI!!!

Player skill should never enter a discussion of what classes are playable!!!!!

Shame on you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I hate when people say this

And I hate it when people play the martyr gig, it's getting very old, and that is exactly what the OP is doing.

Undesirable is not unplayable, that's not semantics that is fact. It's exactly what Lobster called it, being a Drama Queen.

The argument of how much that is community perception versus actual reality is another can of worms entirely.

I certainly don't have your PVP cred but that really doesn't matter in this conversation. Everyone knows Ret has problems, everyone making a thread trying to victimize themselves and go "Woe is me." is not helping with those problems.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ret was really awesome at the end of Cata. Its just not the same with the boosts to the other classes that happened when MOP dropped. before you stack up your HP then go to work.. Casters do some nice Damage and have great control. They can just blow you up. Now if you pop your cool downs all people do is CC you, spell reflect, and own you. I havent played enough Ret lately to give a judgement of where it is at now. When MOP first came out I stopped because I just didnt enjoy it. The game felt broken.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
And I hate it when people play the martyr gig, it's getting very old, and that is exactly what the OP is doing.

Undesirable is not unplayable, that's not semantics that is fact. It's exactly what Lobster called it, being a Drama Queen.

The argument of how much that is community perception versus actual reality is another can of worms entirely.

I certainly don't have your PVP cred but that really doesn't matter in this conversation. Everyone knows Ret has problems, everyone making a thread trying to victimize themselves and go "Woe is me." is not helping with those problems.

it's not that you don't have the pvp "cred," that i do, but rather that you don't really pvp. there is a difference. you've done a total of three RBG's on that character. imagine being as invested in pvp as you are in pve. then imagine wanting to do rbg's since they came out at the start of cata, but sucking in them for that entire expansion, and now continuing to suck for the second expansion in a row

so you're not invested in pvp, but call people who are interested in it drama queens for coming to a forum to express themselves. undesirable is unplayable when usually the only way to get into an RBG is to make a group yourself and then to have thick enough skin to enjoy the game through the insults your teammates are likely to throw your way

if "playable" to you means a tiny fraction of rets who want to compete in rbg's actually get to, then ok, ret is playable. you may not realize this, but rbg's actually require stricter class/spec composition than 3v3 arena. i felt stronger in TBC 3v3, back when the developers didn't even consider ret a legitimate pvp spec, than i do now in rbg's. therefore i won't take your holier than thou attitude towards people who occasionally vent even if they're not being super productive
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
So many drama queens, honestly.

I have nothing to say on the thread topic, but this coming from a blood elf male did make me chuckle.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

What are you smoking? I play RET exclusively in pvp and pve, and I have never felt that "I" was the one bogging down the group. As is my RET has no real problems in PvP vs people of equal gear level.. And in PvE, I am top 5 on the dps meter, even surpassing some hunters of equal ilvl. I love my RET. If you don't, go DK like every one else. Last night i ran a AV BG, 40 v 40... and 25 people on my side where DK's.... Go jump on the band wagon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/21/2013 11:56 AMPosted by Spartaprime
Ret was really awesome at the end of Cata. Its just not the same with the boosts to the other classes that happened when MOP dropped.

Clearly in MOP Ret paladins are the victims of the new Tree Talent system.
And the class has become 50% ranged in essence; a Melee kiter/a paradox.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
so you're not invested in pvp, but call people who are interested in it drama queens for coming to a forum to express themselves.

If this was a thread about Ret PVE I would have the exact same stance, the exact one.

And I'm not some Blizzard drone telling people to shut up and not complain, Blizzard pisses me off to no end so I'm certainly not against the Paladin community in their favor.

What I am against is hyperbole, over exaggeration, martyrdom and just general drama lobbying which is what this thread and so many others like it are.

Because it doesn't help, it just makes us as a community look even more petty and when someone actually posts a well thought out and insightful thread detailing problems and what needs to be done it gets dismissed as simply more whining.

Because that's what so much is.

You can vent intelligently, you can vent without making up stupid hyperbole and throwing a pity party.

You can give Blizzard a scathing tongue lashing if you want, which I'm all for and do often myself, without throwing a little tissy that accomplishes nothing.

Anger with reason can be helpful and rally people to get things changed, petty anger with no purpose other then to start a "Yeah, Blizzard will always hate Ret and it will always be broken." is beyond hurtful.

So yeah, gonna still disagree with you here Haf.

You can take or leave my supposed "Holier then thou attitude" all ya like. I do find it ironic that I am so often labeled thus when I'm actually on your side about most things even in the PVP world.

But I'm not going to stop calling out people who go about it in a stupid way that is ultimately detrimental to the cause.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 3/22/2013 3:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Pff there's way better dress up games with way better graphics! :P

you play the sims don't you
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If this was a thread about Ret PVE I would have the exact same stance, the exact one.

ret doesn't reach the same lows in pve as it does in pvp. imagine your guild benching you for an entire expansion -- cause that's what it was like for rets who wanted to do rbg's in cata, that hasn't yet changed in mop, and i wouldn't be surprised if the devs wait till next xpac to fix it. they can't make casters cast more and whatnot without drastically changing classes mid-mop, which they refuse to do

if ret consistently sucked in pve, you might have the same emotional response as these pallies you rail against. and if not, then maybe you're just more stoic than the average person. that doesn't mean you need to try to shut down anyone who wants to vent

now if it's the same person consistently venting in a whiny fashion, i might agree with you

You can take or leave my supposed "Holier then thou attitude" all ya like. I do find it ironic that I am so often labeled thus when I'm actually on your side about most things even in the PVP world.

you can be on my side and still act holier than thou :]

But I'm not going to stop calling out people who go about it in a stupid way that is ultimately detrimental to the cause.

how's it detrimental to the cause? my understanding is the devs don't even read the class forums
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]