How many resto shamans are being sat out?

90 Pandaren Priest
03/24/2013 09:57 AMPosted by Calonderiel
Their cooldowns are good, but thats the only thing keeping them in the raid.

...saving people's lives is the only thing keeping a healer in the raid? What a shock (no pun intended).

It's almost as if there is more to healing than meter whoring and Blizzard knows it. But that could never happen, right?

Surely you remember the outcry after the Firelands nerfs to Druids, hm? The problem is, when a class is brought for one thing and one thing only - in the case of Shaman, that is CDs and not healing - the moment you don't need those CDs, or can cover them elsewhere, the class is no longer brought.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
03/24/2013 09:57 AMPosted by Calonderiel
Their cooldowns are good, but thats the only thing keeping them in the raid.

...saving people's lives is the only thing keeping a healer in the raid? What a shock (no pun intended).

It's almost as if there is more to healing than meter whoring and Blizzard knows it. But that could never happen, right?

Our cooldowns are highly overrated. For our Heroic Megaera attempts on Thursday, I was alternating Ascendance and Healing Tide on every rampage, and rampage is the ideal situation where you would think Resto Shaman strengths would come into play, because the entire raid is stacked and taking heavy damage.

My output during the rampage bursts was below the sustained output of our priests, paladins and mistweavers, and about on par with that of our druids. It's partially because of Spirit stacking, using double Spirit trinkets and running at lower INT levels than other healers, but if our strength is our CDs, our CDs should be giving us higher burst output than the sustained output of other healers in a stacked AoE situation. That is not happening, and that is a problem if that is the only situation where we have strong throughput.

On top of that, when you dig into where Resto Shaman are being benched, we already know they are being sat on about 50% of top 5 World guilds' progression kills. No Resto Shaman has been used on H Dark Animus, and this Heroic seems to be the most difficult in the first 11, and a heroic that many guilds will probably be on for weeks. On top of that, no one has killed it yet, but I would be shocked if Resto Shaman are being used on H Lei Shen given how poorly that fight plays out to our mechanics on NM. That's another fight that is probably going to take weeks of progression time.

So, if we can't be in for H Dark Animus and can't be in for H Lei Shen, guess what? We are useless and on the bench for probably over 50% of actual progression this tier. How is there not an issue, and how is this anything but a complete failure of the people who design and balance the classes and encounters?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
The fact of the matter is that a paladin or disc priest brings just as much if not more utility than a shaman but doesn't suffer nearly as much when they're not in their "niche", maybe you like being outhealed by about 20-30% when ever there is an encounter where you have to move? Or maybe you decide that rather than helping the other healers out in your raid with a super charged Mana Tide you'd rather go for personal throughput and still end up being out healed?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Blood Legion actually employs a Resto Shaman.

I don't think they've raided with a Resto Druid the entire expansion.

Have you seen what they have their resto shaman wearing? He's nothing but a glorified mana bot for the rest of the raid.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
That's still a slot in a world first caliber guild during progression. You're offering something to a raid. Resto Druids offer nothing whatsoever in 25.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
That's still a slot in a world first caliber guild during progression. You're offering something to a raid. Resto Druids offer nothing whatsoever in 25.

Other than Ironbark, moving Tranq (with any shaman Symbiosis'd), Tranq, and excellent raid healing.

That's why we're totally sitting our two Resto Druids all the time and not taking them to every. Single. Encounter. :)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I <3 moving tranq
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Nvm Cenarion Ward, druid healers are probably the best sustainted tank damage healers in the game right now.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
When we go from 3 heals to 2 heals, I am always the one switching. The priest does 60-80k HPS and 50k DPS at the same time, and the paladin easily does 60-100k HPS. I often struggle to outheal the DK tank.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
FoE
I'm rerolling to a Resto Druid - I've been about 30k output a second behind our Disc Priest and Holy Paladin.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]