Is resto druid broken?

Or did I manage to break something in 5.2?
I'm seeing some VERY poor numbers in a number of fights- even got myself kicked from an LFR (though no one died, the numbers did admittedly look bad).
Is there something that I'm missing? Need to do differently?
Cheers to the helpful responses
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I've actually been seeing higher numbers in LFR depending on who I am healing with :3 Not that HPS matters much, especially in LFR but people are morons anyways.

What spells are you using to heal with? I did notice your glyphs, I'd drop rejuv and healing touch for regrowth and wild growth.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Or did I manage to break something in 5.2?
I'm seeing some VERY poor numbers in a number of fights- even got myself kicked from an LFR (though no one died, the numbers did admittedly look bad).
Is there something that I'm missing? Need to do differently?
Cheers to the helpful responses

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/Pancakes4breakfast/Wow-642013-03-1910-43-01-69_zps948b2638.jpg

this should give you an idea on how a resto druid should do in lfr if they know what they're doing. This also includes how to reforge, gem and play their toon correctly. Gear is not as important as knowing how to play as my alt resto druid is much lower but still performs similarly.

I can tell you when it comes to our class it's always a play-style issue.

Do you keep Harmony up and prior to casting spells?
Do you keep LB rolling close to 100%?
Do you use your CDs at the proper time and enough times for the encounter?
Do you innervate correctly and whenever possible for any given fight length?

I can always tell if a druid is having issues simply by looking at what % healing some spells are or aren't on top the above.
Reply Quote
I just hit 470 on my Druid and healed LFR HoF and Terrace, and was easily in the top 3 heals, though my mana was running dry faster than I liked. In your gear, you shouldn't be having any problems, so my guess is you're doing something wrong.

I'm no expert on Resto, but here's what I know:

Keep Lifebloom rolling on a tank, always. You should have as close to 100% uptime as possible. Most of it will overheal, but keeping it up means a steady stream of OoC procs, which should be used.

Have 100% uptime on Harmony (your mastery). Any direct heal will keep it up, and it's a significant buff to your heals.

Use Rejuv often, it should be your #1 heal. Don't wait for your target to be low health before using it, it's a preemptive heal and should be used as such.

Make sure you use your cooldowns, they're pretty helpful. A well-timed Tree of Life or Tranquility can help save a raid. If the tank is taking damage, you might consider popping Ironbark on him.

Use Swiftmend on cooldown, unless everyone's at full health. It's the easiest way to keep up Harmony, and it does a very nice bit of healing, between the direct heal and the efflorescence effect.

Use Wild Growth often, it's a fantastic heal and by far Resto's best AoE.

Set up mushrooms in a place where people might stack, and try to use them to the best of your ability.

I noticed that you left your tier 5 talents completely empty. That's just silly. They're situational, but they can come in handy. I would personally take Ursol's Vortex, it helps on fights like Will of the Emperor or Tsulong if you have to help control adds.

That's all the advice I can give, it's hard to say without knowing exactly what you're doing in a raid. I would also recommend checking out Lissana's sticky on the Druid forums, it's very helpful. Good luck with your tree healing, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Resto druids have kept up with me as disc in ToT lfr and 10man. I think it's more that you need to learn a bit more about your class.

Also... If your raid group has more than 1-2 absorb classes in an lfr, expect to look terrible. Especially with all the pally FotMs coming out of the woodworks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/20/2013 10:14 AMPosted by Atlanno
LFR

This is why.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Just a tip or two:

WG:
Wild growth is best used directly after hitting Swift mend. This gives the spell the bonus of the Hast effect and can increase the heal a full tick (or two in some cases) on each member healed. It also sets Harmony up which gives the spell a nice boost as well.
You can time this for when you know mass raid damage is about to happen, keep the Swift mend until the damage hits, then smack the tank with it, directly after that case WG and watch the numbers pour in.

LB:
keeping LB up on a tank should be done with Nourish this keeps Harmony up and LB refreshed.

Cenarion Ward:
Keeping ready for Tank switches allows you time to rebuild your LB on the off tank when they take agro
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
WG:
Wild growth is best used directly after hitting Swift mend

Great if you're specc'ed to SotF. Worthless if you're specc'd to Incarnation, as the OP is.

LB:
keeping LB up on a tank should be done with Nourish this keeps Harmony up and LB refreshed.

I'd like to deal with such a lack of tank damage that I can rely on Nourish. Nourish is such a slow, limited heal, that you can safely forget that you have it.

Cenarion Ward:
Keeping ready for Tank switches allows you time to rebuild your LB on the off tank when they take agro

Or you can Glyph Lifebloom so that you can use ONE GCD to move LB, rather than three GCDs. I'll let others debate CW for resto druids.

I've never been able to rely on LFR for checking out healing. Two different groups will take vastly different amounts of damage, length of fight, mechanics fails, not to mention the healers you get paired up with will skew numbers one way or another. You can see yourself pulling 100k HPS with 0% overhealing during one LFR, and do the exact same thing in the next LFR and end up with 30k HPS with 60% overhealing.

Druids didn't get broken in 5.2 -- we got a very significant boost (cheaper RJs, baseline healing buff). I'm not a fan of your Glyph choices, but stat-wise, you're healthy. How do you feel about Spirit? You have a lot of Spirit. If you're noticing that you're finishing fights with 10% or more of mana, that's a sign that you can stop gemming for spirit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If there are disc priests and holy paladins in your raid group then your numbers will drop significantly. Absorbs seem to be throwing off the numbers. Also HPS isn't a good way of judging your performance. If no one died and you downed the boss who cares right? Especially in LFR
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Every time I am low on the meters I follow one simple rule: Cast rejuv more!

There is almost never a time when casting rejuv is the wrong answer to any situation.

Looking at your glyphs I notice you are using glyph of rejuv, while rejuv is an amazing spell the glyph is not. The glyph should read glyph of nourish to help people from making this mistake. Go ahead and use a different glyph and also take nourish off your bars there is no need to cast this. If you have time to nourish then you have time to rejuv instead. If your concerned about activating mastery, then just use swiftmend, if swiftmend is on cd then mastery is on.
Reply Quote
Firstly, thanks for the helpful info- I now have a whole lot of things to look at.
As for the missing talent- that's from my 25 regular HOF raids, it helped with Zor'lok and since I'd never used it anyway I left the talent empty.
I had my current setup after some trial and error, it gave me similar number to my peers- I like to consider healing numbers as a good baseline and anything else tends to be fight specific.
As for my healing, I tend to throw out 3+ rejuvs, depending on how my mana is going and wild bloom etc, which is of course triple stacked on the tank. Wild growth tends to get popped whenever it's up, unless I'm too busy rejuving/swiftmending a string of the raid. I hit innervate at 80% (sometimes a little lower if things get crazy). I do use nourish when the tank seems to be taking insignificant damage and I'm just renewing wild growth, but I do of course switch to healing touch as required. I think I'm probably forgetting to use cenarion ward a lot- I'll need to keep an eye on that. I think I pop tree and tranquility at the right times-maybe I've just fallen out of practice.
At any rate, I've got some things to try, thanks again. I hope I can get back to my former glory =)
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
If there are disc priests and holy paladins in your raid group then your numbers will drop significantly. Absorbs seem to be throwing off the numbers. Also HPS isn't a good way of judging your performance. If no one died and you downed the boss who cares right? Especially in LFR

Raid Leaders and Guild Recruiters certainly care. Not about LFR of course.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Right now I am on par with a disc priest(though less geared mind you) but the Hpally is still way in the lead.
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
I am below our disc and pally so I sit on 2 heal fights.
Reply Quote
5 Tauren Druid
In 25 man with 2 disc priests, 2 pallys, a monk, and 2 resto druids, the druids are always signifcantly lower than the others. Gear is part of the reason, but even taking that into consideration the numbers just aren't there. GM isn't going to run the resto druids any more, which is also what most competitive progression guilds are doing.

Resto got a little buff in 5.2 but not significant enough to make them competitive with the numbers that classes like disc priests or pallys are putting out.

Sadly without some substantial changes Blizzard has effectively made resto a dying class.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Just a tip or two:

LB:

Please no, don't tell people this. Would have been the case in the past but it's such a useless spell anymore. It's the most mana inefficient heal we have considering it's throughput. Simply refreshing it with another lifebloom is wiser, or, even better, with an omen regrowth. Don't waste mana on nourish, it's better spent elsewhere.
Edited by Luminarå on 3/21/2013 3:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
In 25 man with 2 disc priests, 2 pallys, a monk, and 2 resto druids, the druids are always signifcantly lower than the others. Gear is part of the reason, but even taking that into consideration the numbers just aren't there. GM isn't going to run the resto druids any more, which is also what most competitive progression guilds are doing.

Resto got a little buff in 5.2 but not significant enough to make them competitive with the numbers that classes like disc priests or pallys are putting out.

Sadly without some substantial changes Blizzard has effectively made resto a dying class.

I think that if your GM is sitting you for H Horridon, it probably has to do with the fact that you are undergeared for the encounters in H ToT. You've never seen outside of normal mode encounters on your Druid (or any other character I can find). It isn't your class. We've had one to two Resto Druids in every single one of our kills, both normal and heroic.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
Just a tip or two:

LB:

Please no, don't tell people this. Would have been the case in the past but it's such a useless spell anymore. It's the most mana inefficient heal we have considering it's throughput. Simply refreshing it with another lifebloom is wiser, or, even better, with an omen regrowth. Don't waste mana on nourish, it's better spent elsewhere.

Not really that true... Nourish does a fine job of keeping harmony/lb refreshed during both low tank and raid damage.
Reply Quote
8 Dwarf Priest
Not really that true... Nourish does a fine job of keeping harmony/lb refreshed during both low tank and raid damage.

Huh...

Nourish:
10.2% base mana, ~7k heal, scales @ 61.4% spell power, 2.5 sec cast.

Lifebloom:
5.9% base mana, ~9k HoT over 15 sec, scales @ 5.7% spell power (75.2% spell power for bloom), instant cast.

So for nearly half mana, you can instantly (read: more easily, conveniently, with less button clutter) refresh the Lifebloom stack during a time of low tank and raid damage? So like, dang, you wouldn't really need the heal Nourish provides?

Well let's just say, I'm not sure what neuronal impulses propelled you to state that what is true, "really isn't," because it looks true after all. But by all means, you go ahead and cast all the Nourishes you like. I somehow doubt that behavior would allow you to outperform an equivalently geared/skilled Druid who just moves on to the next Rejuv or Swiftmend, or refreshes with OOC Regrowth. There does not appear to be a way in which it would. Not in this universe, anyway.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
03/22/2013 07:38 AMPosted by Kolas
So for nearly half mana, you can instantly (read: more easily, conveniently, with less button clutter) refresh the Lifebloom stack during a time of low tank and raid damage? So like, dang, you wouldn't really need the heal Nourish provides?

Um, if there is low tank damage, you do need the heal Nourish provides. Refreshing LB with LB won't heal that damage, or refresh Harmony, and casting Rejuve/Swiftmend would be (expensive) overkill, especially if I want to keep SM off cooldown for a reason. Granted, I may use Nourish only 3 or 4 times in a fight, and there are a number of fights where I never use it, but I do agree with Fleurs, Nourish does fit the bill in certain narrow cases.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]