Is resto druid broken?

8 Dwarf Priest
03/22/2013 07:50 AMPosted by Pipikaula
Um, if there is low tank damage, you do need the heal Nourish provides.

Or

you could just wait a sec? Why don't you tell me how you define "low tank damage" more exactly. That would help, because then I could definitely point out where you are going wrong. You won't want to hear it, of course, but such is life. Because in all cases where damage is low, you can move on to somewhere else where the damage is serious enough to actually require healing, or stand around, taking it all in, regenerating mana. Or Wrath/Moonfire/Cat dps.

There is literally no point in this game where Nourish is more useful than some other action, and its not better than taking no action in order to save up mana for a more useful action. I'm not sure if you can play this game well, but you'd play it better as soon as you realize there are no "low gear" healing situations in current content that aren't completely faceroll, and in the cases there are, it is 100% better for each precious second of your valuable life for you to add more DPS to the fight, or a strong heal elsewhere, in order that you can achieve your goal more effectively, move forward, and have wasted as little of your life as possible casting some slow, weak, unnecessary heal.

More to the point, a heal cannot be both slow and weak. That is the very definition of uselessness. See: Holy Word: Sanctuary. A slow and weak heal can be completely free to cast, it will still be utterly useless when it matters. Look at the healer toolboxes. Every one of them has better tools to deal with various forms of damage. Every single one, except Paladins, where the middle heal only works because of Beacon (doubling the heal, and making it close to the same power as Divine Light, with 1/2 the cost or so). Even there, the best Paladins drop Holy Light completely and just use Divine Light.

If you just wanna zombie your way through LFR or 5-mans though, hey, be my guest. Go crazy with that Nourish.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
"Low tank damage" is pretty much anything that won't take him or her below 90%, and there isn't anything spikey upcoming in the next two seconds that would require something more expensive, such as a Rejuve/SM or Regrowth.

And to your larger point, the reason I do not do those other actions at that moment is because "waiting a sec" doesn't refresh Harmony. Waiting for the tank to require more healing doesn't refresh Harmony. Casting Lifebloom doesn't refresh Harmony. Doing kitty DPS doesn't refresh Harmony. Saving mana doesn't refresh Harmony.

Yes, if I have an OoC, I will use it on Regrowth on the tank. Yes, if someone else needs the healing, I will use Rejuve/Swiftmend. And believe it or not, sometimes casting Nourish really is the smartest thing to do at that moment, because it isn't just about the small, weak heal. Just like your paladin Beacon example, Nourish is about the synergy with other parts of our toolkit, not just about the heal itself.

Edit: Again, it is something I only do rarely, but I do find it has a place in my spellbook, albeit a small one.
Edited by Pipikaula on 3/22/2013 8:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
Wrong thread.
Edited by Eleäzaras on 3/22/2013 8:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
hmm. my resto druid is always right up there with me rejuv puts up big numbers for him. wild growth too. between the two of us and the disc priest in ten mans we're fine. Numbers really arent the big thing though as long as nobody dies.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I guess a lvl 8 priest would know more about Druid healing than Fluers (respected Druid poster who has cleared ToT twice) so maybe he is possibly correct??? I will not say that I NEVER use Nourish but it is rare.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Um, if there is low tank damage, you do need the heal Nourish provides. Refreshing LB with LB won't heal that damage, or refresh Harmony, and casting Rejuve/Swiftmend would be (expensive) overkill, especially if I want to keep SM off cooldown for a reason. Granted, I may use Nourish only 3 or 4 times in a fight, and there are a number of fights where I never use it, but I do agree with Fleurs, Nourish does fit the bill in certain narrow cases.

Either way, the original comment

[LB:
keeping LB up on a tank should be done with Nourish this keeps Harmony up and LB refreshed.

Is horrible for anyone actually seeking advice here. Between OOC procs, Swiftmend, mushrooms, and hard casting you shouldn't have to use nourish to refresh LB, or to even keep up harmony unless SOMEHOW, no one in the entire raid/dungeon has taken any damage that needs healing. That mana, regardless of how little, is better spent elsewhere. Throw a rejuv out instead, what's the worst that could happen? Overheal the tank? It'll be transfered to the mushrooms if you have them out.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
All of y'all need to relax.

Nourish does a fine job of keeping LB and Harmony up when there is low raid and tank damage. Simple as that, not sure why any of you are arguing.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Is horrible for anyone actually seeking advice here. Between OOC procs, Swiftmend, mushrooms, and hard casting you shouldn't have to use nourish to refresh LB, or to even keep up harmony unless SOMEHOW, no one in the entire raid/dungeon has taken any damage that needs healing. That mana, regardless of how little, is better spent elsewhere. Throw a rejuv out instead, what's the worst that could happen? Overheal the tank? It'll be transfered to the mushrooms if you have them out.

I think you've missed the point. True one could simply SM to keep up Harmony without ever casting a direct heal such as RG/HT or Nourish. But so what?

Your argument basically is -

It's mana better spent on OH say with rj.
One doesn't 'need' to cast it.

Well if no one is taking damage or little you have options to refresh LB/Harmony right? What does it matter if one refreshes LB with LB or instead simply casts Nourish and keeps Harmony and LB going? In this situation mana isn't even a concern whatsoever. No one is claiming they're chain casting Nourish during real damage.

Using Nourish is a play-style choice plain and simple. It's part of our tool-kit regardless on what we personally think of it's usefulness and to suggest people using it don't know what thy're talking about is ridiculous.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]