Big heals for a monk

90 Blood Elf Monk
When a raid leader calls for "big heals" on a monk what does it mean? For instance, on a shaman healer, it means spam healing rain, and chain heal while riptiding the tank and popping an earth shield on the tank until the danger is over. Then you go back to your lighter healing waves and things. What's the shaman version of that?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Time your renewing mists before hand and get them rolling on as much of the raid as you can with tft. Bank some chi and uplift once or twice.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It means TFT-empowered Uplift and stacking Chi to spam Uplift. Probably one of the most difficult problems when learning MW is the timing of TFT. If there's too much of a Chi struggle, consider weaving in Surging Mist with Soothing Mist. It's expensive but during those phases of fights, the extra heals are more than worth it, and for the higher chance to proc Chi from SoM and the guaranteed Chi through SuM.
Reply Quote
If "big heals" is being called now, it's too late for TFT or anything else. OP, it means you need to go back in time 10 seconds and use TFT/Renewing mists/etc..
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
no no no all wrong... you drop a life cacoon on the tank if you know its going to happen beforehand and is single target, otherwise... its renewing mist into revival into expel harm drop a soothing mist and depending on what is left and how people are positioned you can go into enveloping mist on the lowest health, then surging mist or you can chi burst or chi torpedo... there are a whole lot of ways to do it but it basically means blow your cooldowns, you could even just life cacoon and zen meditation if you know that you arent going to get hit by a melee attack... regardless its actually more about the exact situation that you are in and not just "big heals" and renewing mists isnt as great as everyone would like you to believe, its only good if you know its an aoe battle and the tank isnt taking the brunt of it. you should be channeling and using expel harm though if you need to be spamming uplift because jab costs 6 percent instead of 4 percent now so you cant spam it as easilly to get alot of uplifts down, and if you are in vent with the tank the cheap way is to drop a few healing sphears around him or spam them on him so that you can get the most bang for your buck...

p.s. also times like those are when you should be deciding between power strikes and chi brew, if you are gioing to be doing alot of jabbing its power strikes because u will generate more chi that way, otherwise its chi brew so u can hit uplift four times fast instead of just two...(reason i say just jab is because you might not neccessarily be channelling every twenty seconds, i know im not sometimes, and chi brew can drop it on you when you need it)
Edited by Alkluz on 3/10/2013 10:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
When a raid leader calls for "big heals" on a monk what does it mean? For instance, on a shaman healer, it means spam healing rain, and chain heal while riptiding the tank and popping an earth shield on the tank until the danger is over. Then you go back to your lighter healing waves and things. What's the shaman version of that?

It means your raid leader is an idiot trying to backseat heal. Make your own healing decisions.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Time your renewing mists before hand and get them rolling on as much of the raid as you can with tft. Bank some chi and uplift once or twice.

Sorry it's impossible to time whether or not a tank is going to fail on interrupting Feng's epicentre thingo etc...if that was happening on a shaman healer, I might be able to save them thorugh it by healing rain and spamming chain healing (without using the ascendance/healing tide totem cds) also you are right to the other monk that said Renewing Mists isn't that great. I also have trouble with Jabbing things, as that uses quite a bit of mana for some reason. It's like, when a raid leader calls for big heals, I can do a Revival but that's a 3 minute cooldown. The rest of my spells are very light in comparison to other healing classes, I am finding?

And what does "backseat heal" mean?
Edited by Sinthndria on 3/11/2013 3:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/11/2013 03:01 AMPosted by Sinthndria

Sorry it's impossible to time whether or not a tank is going to fail on interrupting Feng's epicentre thingo etc...if that was happening on a shaman healer, I might be able to save them thorugh it by healing rain and spamming chain healing (without using the ascendance/healing tide totem cds) also you are right to the other monk that said Renewing Mists isn't that great. I also have trouble with Jabbing things, as that uses quite a bit of mana for some reason. It's like, when a raid leader calls for big heals, I can do a Revival but that's a 3 minute cooldown. The rest of my spells are very light in comparison to other healing classes, I am finding?

And what does "backseat heal" mean?

The same as "backseat driving." Someone who is in the back seat telling the driver where to go and how to drive. YOU are healing. When you see something coming up or in the process of happening, you need to make the correct decisions on what spells to use, who to target, etc. Having someone telling you how and when to heal during a raid is just going to lead to issues of people getting blamed for calling the heals wrong, confusion about what to do (like in this instance), or someone not following orders, etc.

If your raid leader is insisting that you follow his orders about heals, maybe ask HIM what he thinks "big heals" means for a monk. When all you get is "I don't know their spells, but just heal a lot" or something similar, it means he doesn't actually know what he's talking about.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
For instance, on a shaman healer, it means spam healing rain, and chain heal while riptiding the tank and popping an earth shield on the tank until the danger is over.

Thats...thats not what big healing is for a shaman...
Reply Quote
It means place your jade serpent statue on TOP of the raid lead and ask if that's big :-) enough.
Reply Quote
This is really the class of "heal by a thousand tiny bandaids". While the other classes put up a hot and wait for it to do its thing or throw out some slow big zapper - the monk runs around putting bandaids and neosporin on everything at lightning speed.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
O.o
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For the most part, a Mistweaver's "big heal" would be Life Cocoon and Revival.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I think the OP is wasting his time as a monk. He was born to be a shaman.
Reply Quote
@shyftin: I see your O.o and raise you an. =^O.o^=

Imagine if your hots all had just one tick, but were aoes giving a different result to everyont they hit - based on how fast you could hit things in cat form. That's monk. Because druids running around spamming hots until their keyboards broke was -still- not hectic enough for blizzard.

(And I love my two resto druids too).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
LOL @ trying to explain big heals for a shaman..... for a shaman it means UL + HS's or UL + TW'd GHW's, or if its a dire situation a raid cool down to save the tanks life for missing his own cool down.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
@ Yuen, thats a no for him being a shaman if he thinks healing rain is a big heal.
Reply Quote
15 Human Mage
It means ask your raid to step into the shiny green orbs scattered all around them?!?!?!?!?!?!

If your CDs aren't up and you need to burst AoE heal and don't already have chi it means hope the other healers can handle it for several seconds OR if they're stacked and you have chi torpedo charges you can charge back and forth through them.

You could always also jab jab uplift and then cry at how much mana you just lost for not following every jab up with a tiger palm!

Single target? other then life cocoon if it's up you can soothing mist/keep enveloping up and surging when you need to. You could also spam healing spheres on someone if you wanted to and it was convenient to do so.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LOL @ trying to explain big heals for a shaman..... for a shaman it means UL + HS's or UL + TW'd GHW's, or if its a dire situation a raid cool down to save the tanks life for missing his own cool down.

Maybe he meant big raid wide heals, not single target tank heals. I can't imagine anyone doing AoE healing for only the tank taking massive damage!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
This is Yuen, my main is a shaman :3

I was mostly confused by "popping earth shield on the tank", as if it were a cooldown, "spamming healing rain", as if it had no cooldown, and...well, he said chain heal. That speaks for itself.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]