ToT for 2-Night guilds

90 Human Paladin
We did 12/12 in 11-12 hours. We had almost zero ptr experience.

11-12 hours is not a 2-day raid schedule....unless you raid in 6 hour chunks?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
you can skip most of the trash in the place - just don't be stupid and keep pulling !@#$ you don't need.

Unless it has like 1-3M HP, then who cares? it'll die in seconds! :D
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior

Hey! In our four year history, we've never added a fourth night or extra hour for raiding!!!1

I'm skeptical =p

Most 3 night guilds add a day or maybe 2 throughout a tier. Last tier it seemed reasonable to add a day or two, I'm not sure I see any reason to add any this tier with the exception of *maybe* H-Lei Shen.

No need to be skeptical because we have never added a fourth day since I've been here (Heroic Firelands progress). We were on the verge of killing Garajal on a Thursday last tier, for instance, but we didn't want to raid on Sun/Monday so we decided to kill it on normal so we could finish the instance that night. All of our logs are public and we never hide them :)
Edited by Freese on 3/12/2013 10:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Kudos =)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
But doing it with no throttle and then throwing in the most time consuming and difficult trash that I've ever seen in a WoW raid

You obviously did not raid Ulduar.

I feel if we have these types of instances that some form of gating would be help prevent guilds with a limited schedule from becoming too discouraged

As someone who raids eight hours a week and who killed 4 bosses the first week and those same four in a night, I disagree.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
What would you suggest be a suitable amount of time to be spent on trash in between each boss? Would a TotC model be better?
Should the amount of time between each bosses be the same, or should the time spent be staggered?

I think a lot of responses to this thread are pretty typical (mix of ego/defensiveness + preaching + not understanding what the person they are responding to said), but this poster asks a legitimate question. Also someone else said trash can be fun, but too much is not good. That's an accurate if vague statement as well.

I didn't care for TotC and, more recently, I don't like instances like Terrace. So I get the point that some sense of scope / grandeur is important, and that filling that space with creatures makes sense. I can also see why a designer would say "hey if we're going to have it let's make it interesting at least?"

So, I get all that.

I also get that there are different people playing the game (which is the point that I think most of the responses in this thread miss completely). So I don't expect every tier to be a clone or modeled after what my team needs.

To me this trash is way overboard. I don't know how to articulate the exact point at which trash becomes "too much" or "too little". All I can say is that this stuff is so far out on one extreme that I can easily identify it and feel that it's kind of crazy. I just don't understand the designers' motivation for doing it other than to drive a bigger wedge between guilds that raid many hours and guilds that raid few. And, less relevant to me personally, but I can't see how the current tuning / quantity of trash is going to be helpful for casual guilds or public groups.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
you want it to be easier? or do you want less content OP?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Extensions
Edited by Dreaded on 3/13/2013 3:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
you want it to be easier? or do you want less content OP?

I think trash shouldn't have the potential to wipe a raid in any case unless they do something extremely stupid (pull too much, chain pull, controllable aspects) or for completely ignoring mechanics of the trash, as trash should be somewhat fun and not an AoE fest. Things like the snails being able to one shot people, random trash spawns that hurt... A LOT, and of course the bridge of death (as I like to call it) are examples of extreme trash in my eyes.

For example on the bridge, we should be able to pull the 2 spirits without too much trouble, but obviously an over-extension of trying to pull all four should be a wipe (as it clearly is), as well as say trying to tank them in the middle where the beams are passing through instead of on the stairs. Right now though, if you want to pull two at a time, you have to blow tons of CDs (both DPS and healing) to survive, only to have... another set of 2. Yes I am aware you can pull one at a time, but that is pretty slow for a silly reason.

The snails I can understand stunning, and punishing you by saying doing ticking damage (either by ground effect or DoT), but it shouldn't be a one shot. No trash should be a one shot, ever.

Sadly I have not been able to get any further into ToT yet (will be killing more tomorrow night. Dat 2 day a week schedule!) so I am not sure of any other "extreme" trash so I can't pull any examples from there. :/
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I think there's just far too much trash, like the trash in Durumu's room.....what's the point exactly showing the same mechanic....3? or 4 times in a row, then 6 times in a row. Such a waste of time. It's even worse past his room, which is silly.
Edited by Naumu on 3/13/2013 10:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I think there's just far too much trash, like the trash in Durumu's room.....what's the point exactly showing the same mechanic....3? or 4 times in a row, then 6 times in a row. Such a waste of time. It's even worse past his room, which is silly.

No see, that is GOOD trash. Trash that teaches you the boss mechanics in a controlled environment before actually getting to the boss is AMAZING and a sign of good game design. That is the type of trash that needs to stay.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
03/13/2013 11:01 PMPosted by Arpandaday
No see, that is GOOD trash.

Never said it wasn't, but seeing the maze add multiple times (when you can just stop DPS on the thing in the middle,) won't help you beat it. Same with the stupid headlight fog add things.

That is the type of trash that needs to stay.

Just curious, did you do his trash? and after Durumu you might think otherwise. It's literally a waste of time that Blizzard added. Not by what the trash is, but by how much of it there is. And yes, I know trash is there so it's not another ToC....but cmon.
Edited by Naumu on 3/13/2013 11:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Never said it wasn't, but seeing the maze add multiple times (when you can just stop DPS on the thing in the middle,) won't help you beat it. Same with the stupid headlight fog add things.

But it will help lower end guilds get a better understanding on how the boss works before pulling it without having to look at external sources, and is great to use in combination with the dungeon journal. It is exactly what the more casual raiding community has wanted (in-game teaching tools), and is just generally good game design to begin with.

03/13/2013 11:06 PMPosted by Naumu
Just curious, did you do his trash?

Yes, twice now, and will have to do it again tomorrow.

and after Durumu you might think otherwise. It's literally a waste of time that Blizzard added. Not by what the trash is, but by how much of it there is. And yes, I know trash is there so it's not another ToC....but cmon.

You are going to have to refresh my memory. I've might of done it on PTR but honestly I forgot most of the trash when corresponding it to their respective bosses. I have not seen it on live however, and honestly I was referring to the trash before Durumu anyway, not after.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
But it will help lower end guilds get a better understanding on how the boss works before pulling it without having to look at external sources, and is great to use in combination with the dungeon journal. It is exactly what the more casual raiding community has wanted (in-game teaching tools), and is just generally good game design to begin with.

And they can, the mini-maze from the trash has HP, you can hold off while doing the maze to get a semi-handle on it, so why not cut the trash from 4 to 2? and the headlight dudes from 6 to 3? all it does is save time, while still teaching people the mechanics beforehand. It wouldn't matter if it was an Ulduar-type raid, but it's not.
Edited by Naumu on 3/13/2013 11:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
We raid only 6 hours in 3 nights on weekdays, and the maintenance/restart really ruined our raid progression last week.
Spending 20 minutes on cleaning annoying trash after the first boss, and the server restart message was just shown when you stepped into the arena and faced Horridon is really displeasing.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
If you are raiding 2 days a week, you are considered a casual guild. Casual guilds 95% of the time are not considered "competition", most casual guilds just raid to raid and hang out / have fun. If you want to clear the content quicker, add a day to your raiding schedule. This game has already been flipped to work around the casual player.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I raid casually (6h/wk) and personally I think the amount of bosses and trash is fine. Our progression so far seems normal and on pace for the time we are investing.

Anyone who raids 2 days a week or on very few hours should know and be prepared for being limited by your time restrictions. Yes, there is trash, but none of the trash is so impossibly difficult for any guild that is actually killing bosses.

As for realm restarts, they always suck but they are a part of new patches and sometimes people get unlucky. I remember a lot of Aussie and day time guilds complaining over them last tier.
Reply Quote
35 Gnome Mage
Sorry but this is a ridiculous thing to ask. If you are a 2 night a week very casual guild then extend your raid ID. It is very possible and easy to clear in 2 nights 3 hrs a week. Farm content is farm content and will take no time clearing the place.

Tired of people always asking for things even easier then they are now. So glad MoP actually has challenge again.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It is amazing that a person can dedicate 2 nights of their week every week to something and still be considered a "casual" player.

Wow raiders are an interesting breed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]