Paladins Versus Mages.

How the hell do you stop them? Those deep freezes with no real gap closer is constantly just pushing me to the verge of tears....not a qq thread, just looking for some tips!
Edited by Drúnk on 3/14/2013 6:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Bubble trinket and los
Reply Quote
It's impossible for any melee to kill a mage with out cds. Even on my warrior they truck me to nothing. I do infact last longer against a mage on my pally though.
Reply Quote
It's hard for any melee to kill a mage with out cds. Even on my warrior they truck me to nothing. I do infact last longer against a mage on my pally though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
^ Quote'cha self? :O
Reply Quote
^ Quote'cha self? :O

edit
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Mages are doing a lot of damage right now, with Frost Bomb and Ice Lance combos. I used to deal with that on my Shaman. :/ I've been told to know when the burst is coming, then Bubble or Divine Protection it.

This seems like a fight you have to end quickly, but it makes sense to stagger your cooldowns so they don't just sheep your whole wings/trinkets.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As long as you have bubble and burst cds up they are not too hard.

I normally bubble the deep then use hof to keep on them and pop cds once i get a rebuke off.

Hopefully they will blink away at this point. Then you stun'em and eat'em.

Good use of devo aura is important as while to protect from silences
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sanctified Wrath and pillars.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/14/2013 06:31 AMPosted by Drúnk
How the hell do you stop them?

Grab ankles.

Squeeze.

Brace for impact.

..you cannot fight the Chosen Ones and expect to stand against them. Were you somehow to manage to do so, Ghostcrawler would hit us with the nerfbat like the fist of an angry God, and then bestow more of his blessings upon them so as to prevent future failures.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There's nothing we can do for you.

No ret paladin can 1v1 a mage of equal gear and skill.

Wow, that is 100% not true at all.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

You realize between Mirror Images and Spellsteal, you're NEVER moving at an unsnared speed, right?

You may scratch him a few times, but Ice Barrier is plenty capable of negating what damage we can do to a Mage at range.

Try not to forget, equal skill and/or equal gear. Assuming the Mage is making stupid mistakes (not stealing HoF, not using CS + Freeze for a free non-DF shatter between DF uses, etc) does not qualify as equal skill.

Assuming he's in greens by virtue of understating the damage you take or the damage IB absorbs doesn't mean equal gear.
Edited by Iolwut on 3/17/2013 6:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm sure you feel that way in your crummy heroic blues and dreadful gear.

Assuming he's in greens by virtue of understating the damage you take or the damage IB absorbs doesn't mean equal gear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
TnC

Idk what your talking about. Most pally's I see dueling mages do tend to lose. However, the really skilled pallies do win almost 100% of the time against decently skilled mages.

From what I've seen tho, majority of the time they tend to use wings defensively to stay alive and slowly poke away at the mage till he dies or wings comes back up a second time, since mages don't have heals (albeit an evocation).

But to say no ret can beat a mage is silly. Mages are VERY squishy. Specially compared to a plate wearing support class with amazing off-heals
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
A ret paladin can't 1v1 a skilled mage out in the open, because they will just kite you and keep you slowed with so many frostbolt debuffs that you will OOM yourself trying to emancipate. If you freedom yourself they will just steal it. However, killing a mage 1v1 is not impossible. All you need to do is relocate the fight to some place that has LoS coverage. This will force them to either leave you alone, get within melee range, or take wide turns around corners to hit you.

If they ignore you in an attempt to draw you back out, then just rinse and repeat going back for cover if they get back on you. If they take the corners tight, you will be able to melee them and get the upper hand. If they take wide turns to keep their distance, you can just keep hitting them with range attacks, building up truth stacks, and using the other corners to LoS them while you pop WoGs and FoLs on yourself to outlast their damage.

Also, if the mage is being really stubborn but still sending his elemental at you, you can lure it around the corner and smash it leaving him a bit more vulnerable since it kills off some of his CC.

Mages can be tough but they are by no means impossible to kill if you just take your time with them and lure them into a trap. Just remember you can heal yourself, they can't aside from a few CDs... so its all about outlasting them, not going in with brute force.
Edited by Bearbottom on 3/17/2013 9:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote

You realize between Mirror Images and Spellsteal, you're NEVER moving at an unsnared speed, right?

You may scratch him a few times, but Ice Barrier is plenty capable of negating what damage we can do to a Mage at range.

Try not to forget, equal skill and/or equal gear. Assuming the Mage is making stupid mistakes (not stealing HoF, not using CS + Freeze for a free non-DF shatter between DF uses, etc) does not qualify as equal skill.

My judgment crits 1 shot ice barrier on mages that are fully geared.
My holy prism non-crits AoE damage 1 shot mirror images.
Edited by Tarvoz on 3/17/2013 2:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

My judgment crits 1 shot ice barrier on mages that are fully geared.
My holy prism non-crits AoE damage 1 shot mirror images.

Gonna ask for a Vid on that because I've seen Mages in Dreadful keep IB up through Judge/Exo/Wrath from guys with your gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]