Feral advanced tips

100 Worgen Druid
Hi all

I'm currently learning to play Feral - starting off with HotW , as it seems to me that if I can't master that then I'll be even worse off with a DoC rotation. Here are some problem situations that come up:

(1) I'll get to 5CP and see Rip and SR both have more than 10 seconds, so I pool and FB. But then when I get back to 5CP again, Rip and SR are both low so I have to refresh SR and then that means I have a long window with no Rip up. How do you deal with this?

(2) My damage breakdown is typically about Rake 25%, Melee 25%, Rip 20%. Other ferals I look at have Rip on top. What are some tips for optimizing Rip damage? Do you ever try to line it up with trinket agi procs for example?

(3) If there are 3 targets should I TF-Rake(1)-Rake(2)-Rake(3) and then continue on 3, or is that a bad idea? do I lose white attacks by target swapping like that? Also, is Thrash (without OoC) a DPS gain on 3 targets?

(4) In a busy 25man raid with lots of spell effects and mobs (e.g. Council) I often have trouble telling which way the boss is facing (especially the empowered ones that just look like a purple ghost). Any addons to help with this?

(5) Opening rotation - currently I tend to start with SR - prepot - Charge - Rake - Shred x3 - TF+Berseerk - Rake - Rip - SR. Is there a better option or is that OK?

Indeally Shredx4 - TF+Bers - Rip - Rake - SR would be better but sometimes SR runs out before the second Rake.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Corollary question, is there an addon that will show me how much my existing Rake and Rip are ticking for, and how much it would tick for if I refreshed it? (Sort of like CombustionHelper!)

Also, I've seen a suggestion that if I somehow end up with Rip down then it's a gain to Mangle instead of Shred to get CP faster to re-establish rip . Thoughts on that?
Edited by Autumni on 3/14/2013 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
1. You would want to desync Rip/Savage Roar so they aren't on the same timer. Think of SR/Rip both expiring in 11 seconds, you can choose to bite and potentially have to lose the rip and having to refresh roar or you can refresh Savage Roar and maintain high uptimes on bleeds instead of the small gain from the bite.

2. Since you're running HoTW, you don't have to worry about buffing your Rip with a DoC proc but you can buff it with Tiger's Fury. You'd want to buff as many rakes/rips as you can. You get the most out of Rip damage at the start of the pull and by trying to maintain a strong Rip starting at the 25% mark, meaning trinkets are up, potion, Tiger's fury, and in DoC's case, a charge of the buff.

3. If you got only 3 targets, thrash only on OoC. You can rake cleave just keep a Rip up on your primary target, if it lasts a long time, then swap and put a Rip on your second target. If things die fast, just maintain your bleeds on a primary, high health target and swipe. Target swapping makes you lose combo points on the previous target if you use an ability like rake on the new target.

4. Just part of being melee, I sometimes watch how they swing and adjust accordingly.

5. Your start is good, but with the initial SR and berserk up, you can make it more efficient by getting a 5 point roar with your second cycle of 5 points and you can usually build up on that and do a 5 point bite before you need to worry about refreshing rip.

Also, I've seen a suggestion that if I somehow end up with Rip down then it's a gain to Mangle instead of Shred to get CP faster to re-establish rip . Thoughts on that?

Better to have one of your strongest bleeds up longer.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Corollary question, is there an addon that will show me how much my existing Rake and Rip are ticking for, and how much it would tick for if I refreshed it? (Sort of like CombustionHelper!)

I'm a big fan of DroodFocus for feral DPS. Among other things it tells you how much of an increase/decrease it would be to refresh rip/rake.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Thanks. I tried DroodFocus and it's absolutely wonderful. My current numbers from a long test (10mins+) on target dummy (w flask,food,MotW, SotF):

HotW 78K (Attack 25%, Rip 24%, Rake 23%)
DoC 77K (Rake 25%, Rip 24%, Attack 23%).

The dummy has no Blood in the Water phase of course, so I imagine that on a real fight the numbers will bump up somewhat, DoC even more so as I'll be able to roll a fully-buffed Superluminal Rip for the last quarter of the fight.

My item level is a bit deceptive, I think, getting 522 neck and 528 cloak ramps the level up, but the other gear slots have a lot more stats (especially weapon).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]