Best heal class that can deal damage as well?

90 Orc Hunter
Looking to roll a healer for a change of pace. I am very interested in a healer that can also churn out some decent damage.

What would you say out of all the healing class/specs has the best damage output while in a healing spec?
Reply Quote
Disc or monk. Or go Druid/sham/priest to use your healing gear in dps spec.
I'm assuming your asking from a raid perspective where you're helping make enrage timers.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Well I would plain on raiding but I would do so as DPS. I should of mentioned I was curious what the best damage output from a healing class would be in a pvp environment. I wasn't sure if Disc priests or Holy pallys were the top damage while in healing spec classes.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
PvP power doesn't affect disc dps. So our smites hit for like 7-10k. It's pitiful to try to pvp dps as disc. Can't say anything else for other classes.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I would be more into the healing in pvp aspect, but, would like to play a healer that I could churn out some decent damage as well. I wouldn't spec heals then try to dps and not heal, it is more of a 1v1 or when things are in the groups favor and I wanted to screw around a bit, which healer would have the more potent damage capabilities.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Or go Druid/sham/priest to use your healing gear in dps spec.
I'm assuming your asking from a raid perspective where you're helping make enrage timers.

Absolutely do not listen to that. healing gear/dps gear is the same..meaning we would have to obliterate one of our specs entirely to do another; I can't do boomy without an entire reforge/gem/enchant change.
It's not doable unless you have 2 sets of essentially the same gear, or if you heal with a VERY low spirit build. Probably 1/4 the spirit any normal healer rolls with. Otherwise, you'd be rolling with like 45% hit....Derrr

Atonement/monk is the only answer.

Edit; Saw replies and you want mostly PvP healer that does DPS... Yeah...that's slim pickings. Priest sucks, monk probably does better dps, but (from someone who doesn't pvp anymore) fromm what I've heard, Monk heals are terrible in pvp.

If you want to do dps, just roll a dps character..
Edited by Tonydanza on 3/18/2013 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Holy pallies have pretty good burst dps. You have to glyph into it though giving up a lot of (imo) better glyphs, but you can do it if you're just messing around.
Reply Quote

Absolutely do not listen to that. healing gear/dps gear is the same..meaning we would have to obliterate one of our specs entirely to do another; I can't do boomy without an entire reforge/gem/enchant change.
It's not doable unless you have 2 sets of essentially the same gear, or if you heal with a VERY low spirit build. Probably 1/4 the spirit any normal healer rolls with. Otherwise, you'd be rolling with like 45% hit....Derrr

Edit; Saw replies and you want mostly PvP healer that does DPS... Yeah...that's slim pickings. Priest sucks, monk probably does better dps, but (from someone who doesn't pvp anymore) fromm what I've heard, Monk heals are terrible in pvp.

It depends on how you look at it. If you want to do dailies then what I mentioned is accurate. Obviously healers have different reqs for chants/gem/forges than their dps specs. But going resto and then trying to do guardian/feral/resto for dps is stupid, that is where balance comes in handy. You won't be pulling IDEAL damage but plenty to do what you need to.
The info he gave was very broad and didnt help narrow down what he's looking at doing.

Pvp wise Druid is good with heart of the wild to burst, although long cd makes it a 1-2 use thing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

I PvP with my Holy palli. at about 69% resil (just malevolent gear atm). without glyphed into harsh words(word of glory dmg's targets) and denounce(chance on holy shock cast to reduce denounce cast time by a good bit) i pull about 20k-25k dps. It's a wee bit higher in 5mans thou. just spam denounce and holy shocks with the occasional light beam thingy and at 3-5holypower cast word of glory on target and it does a good bit of dmg. I spam denounce and holy shock, and then word of glory on target if no heals are needed, otherwise i use it to heal. Does pretty decent. When your target is about half health, pop your wings and haste and blast away!

So Holy paladins have a decent about of dps burst. For being a healer it's not bad anyways.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Resto-kitty, with Heart of the Wild for burst. Normal resto-kitty is about 75% of a feral druid's DPS, Heart of the Wild resto-kitty is facemelty.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Since 5.2 dropped.. I have had 0 problem questing on my own. Which is amazing.

They buffed MW DPS in 5.2, I've actually hit 150k+ Blackout kicks on mobs. LOL it's a beautiful thing to not need people to go do dailies and still be able to gank dps who have an ego. ^_~

the comment about monks is correct, any other spec I would suggest Disc Preists. Both of us heal, while doing damage. It's such an interesting and fun way to play, as a healer.
Reply Quote
92 Human Priest
if you are talking about healing and damage as separate entities; then holy is superior to disc.

disc has the advantage of their damage translating into healing, but holy has a far larger potential for damage output using the damage chakra.

even if dual specced as disc/holy, you would be far better served choosing holy for any solo content.

i think the point is that those classes/specs can use their healing gear in a dps spec with at least a modicum of success. while the bulk of spirit would go to waste both specs use int as their base stat and their is no healer specific secondary stat (sans spirit); which allows a dps spec to get quite a lot out of a set of healing gear.
Edited by Tynx on 3/19/2013 9:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I'm curious if you line up disc and a holy priest, who will do the most damage. Our holy priest said she would be able to blow me out of the water as dps, so I went heals and she went dps and we did some 5 mans. When we both had a chance to smite like crazy, we were either even or I broke out ahead. Maybe it was a gear disparity but I wasn't not all that impressed.

I also tried holy for questing when I'm normally disc and it really didn't seem that stellar compared to disc. /shrug Maybe I have to run around like I'm gearing for a mage?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Holy absolutely does more damage assuming equal gear. 50% more damage, to be precise.

(Ok, a bit less than 50% because Holy doesn't have Penance.)
Edited by Kaels on 3/19/2013 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
03/19/2013 09:36 AMPosted by Ocyla
I'm curious if you line up disc and a holy priest, who will do the most damage. Our holy priest said she would be able to blow me out of the water as dps, so I went heals and she went dps and we did some 5 mans. When we both had a chance to smite like crazy, we were either even or I broke out ahead. Maybe it was a gear disparity but I wasn't not all that impressed.

Pretty sure it had to be a gear disparity. With the same gear, Holy hits 50% harder with Smite, Solace/Holy Fire, Mind Sear, SW:P and SW:D. Penance is nice and all, but it can't hope to cover the huge gap in basic dps.

It really gets ridiculous when you talk AE. Raid-buffed, my Mind Sear hits for 20k or so per tick (hitting every 0.8 sec or so). And it's not like I'm in uber gear.
Edited by Medeyn on 3/19/2013 1:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I did a heroic where I was the top DPS for pretty much every fight on my monk during the weekend.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I have been a discipline priest since vanilla. It's a great healing and moderate damage output in battle grounds. When geared properly for dungeons I will hit 4th in dps and sometimes 3rd. In battlegrounds I tend to do well as long as my team supports me. By myself I cant do much output.

In a recent BG I was able to go 1 on 1 with a warlock pet spec. It went on and on for a while and I was OOM with 50k health left. The warlock was down to 30k I SW:P, Holy fire and Shadow word death and I dropped. Not a spell big enough to drop him in 1 shot.

The biggest downside is when the disc priest is under stun, fear and silence effects. That is the time you get up and eat some popcorn. There is not much resist to these effects and it is unfortunate. Given the term discipline and given the term priest we should have more spells to resist fear, silence and spell lock. If you are "disciplined" wouldn't these be things you can jedi mind trick out of you? Then after the 5 minute stun session, you get laughed at, spit on or TB.

There is no CC really either than shackle undead and by the time that gets cast on the risen dead ally your teammates are totally ignoring attacking you and mount up and ride away. Leaving you to die in a stun lock death grab and the DK is resist to all your spells.

So that being said if you want a DPS healer for PvE stuff like dungeons, questing and raid then Discipline is my suggestion. If you want to put the boom on in PvP, Druid or Pally is what you want to be looking at. All though IF your groups are good and can support the clothy from sharp blades, cold blasts and stay with you then you can have a good time.
Reply Quote
Holy priest can do more dps than disc, but the dps doesn't heal. You'll have to switch chakras to be effective at dpsing and healing, but if you're _only_ goal is to put up dps numbers while healing, go with shadow priest. They have a cd that turns part of their damage into healing, and they maintain some healing spells from the other two specs. If you want to do both simultaneously, go disc or monk. Probably monk so you never have to have spirit gear ever again ever.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Considering how old this thread is I think they've figured it out by now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]