LFR choices and offspec rolling

90 Goblin Shaman
So I read that Ghostcrawler has mentioned something in his tweet regarding tank off spec.

@Ghostcrawler Is going into LFR as "tank" but choosing "DPS" gear still a consideration?
@jkoviack We hope to provide a better option next patch or two.

I started thinking about this and had an idea which I would like to present for your consideration and opinion. Not so much to do with tank but more so choices and off spec within LFR.

~~~
How the current system works (how I think it does anyways), boss goes down, a tank item would drop from the loot table and the system does it’s hidden roll for the two tanks, the winner gets the loot. This is a fine system as it but it wouldn't it be nice if the tank/s or any other classes are given some choice and a slightly better opportunity at loot.
~~~

~~~
What I would like to suggest is instead of rolling against the item itself, how about rolling on the loot table?
Boss goes down, all 25 members get their hidden rolls and the highest 5-10 (or however many Blizzard would allow) rolls are given a new window where they can only select 1 item from the available items to their class and from that loot table.
```Example: A Warrior wins, a new window of loot is displayed and the warrior chooses from the available items appropriate for their class from that loot table; a tank item, a 2 handed DPS sword or a DPS trinket. Once item is allocated, it becomes soulbound and cannot be traded.
~~~

~~~
Players who did not win anything during that boss drop have hidden bonus points added to their next roll total. Maybe something like 10 added bonus points (or however many Blizzard would allow or deem reasonable) which will help a player in their next roll. These bonus points accumulate capping at something like 80-100 bonus points, and having capped your bonus points, you're almost guaranteed a win on the next boss. The moment a player wins loot, their accumulated bonus points are reset to 0, regardless if they had reached the cap or not.
```Example: The rogue who lost gets his loot of gold + 10 bonus roll points to go towards their next boss roll.
Next boss dies, the rogue gets a 45 + their current bonus roll of 10 = 55 but they still lose this round of rolls, loot gold + 10 bonus points. The rogue now has 20 bonus points and will continue receiving bonus points until they've reached the cap or they win a loot roll.
~~~

~~~
10 bonus points is probably a bit too much I know, but with the right amount, players experiencing an unlucky streak will be determined to keep running LFR as there's that fall back of bonus points to help with that win.
Keeping the points hidden and unknown to players will deter players from manipulating the system for their "wanted" loot.
~~~

~~~
This is all my mind could come up with at the moment and with your help, I'm hoping we could either flesh this out a bit or discuss why it wouldn't work.
~~~

TLDR; LFR luck + time = loot.
Reply Quote
I don't even understand why a DPS would go in as a Tank in LFR. I mean he's going to be an off-tank, for sure. With his kind of gear, he won't be able to handle the pressure. Why would we let him handle the pressure of tanking if he can't even make it?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I don't even understand why a DPS would go in as a Tank in LFR. I mean he's going to be an off-tank, for sure. With his kind of gear, he won't be able to handle the pressure. Why would we let him handle the pressure of tanking if he can't even make it?

why is the DPS going in as a tank? I don't understand?
this is where i'm suggesting that the DPS can go in and obtain dps or tank gear.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
How the current system works (how I think it does anyways), boss goes down, a tank item would drop from the loot table and the system does it’s hidden roll for the two tanks, the winner gets the loot. This is a fine system as it but it wouldn't it be nice if the tank/s or any other classes are given some choice and a slightly better opportunity at loot.

I thought it worked more like this:

Boss goes down, the system does a hidden roll for each of the LFR players, those that win the roll then get a hidden roll to see which loot they get. In theory.... it is possible for everyone in the raid to win loot from the same boss.... ?!?!

Not sure if just lucky but yesterday when I ran the second half of the first two 5.1 raids I got 4 pieces of loot. I could only use 1 and the other were sold to a vendor but that 1 piece plus a rep piece put me over 480 on the hunter alt to start doing ToT LFR.

PS. Before going into raid 5.1 raids.... make sure you run the treasure room. When I checked my coins I had 15.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
~~~
~~~

Here's how it works. Boss goes down, the system does an internal roll for both tanks. If they roll below or above a certain threshold lets say 10. So if they roll 10 or below then they get 1 piece from the loot table for their spec. Both tanks could roll below 10 so both tanks have a chance to get loot. Choice should not be involved. Loot has never been distributed by choice. That would take the fun out of it believe it or not. Because with choice you'd never get that moment of OMG MY WEAPON DROPPED YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I thought it worked more like this:

Here's how it works.

Hmm, slightly conflicting theories regarding loot rolls but they seem to point to the fact that it's A VERY RANDOM PROCESS. The RNG gods can be quite cruel at times...
Having put in the same amount of effort (or more) as the next player for little to no reward is a very frustrating journey. But hey how do you know if the player you're comparing yourself to didn't win anything either? You don't... You only know that you haven't won anything and haven't won for the last 6 weeks or so (6 weeks without a win isn't that farfetched is it?).

Choice should not be involved. Loot has never been distributed by choice. That would take the fun out of it believe it or not. Because with choice you'd never get that moment of OMG MY WEAPON DROPPED YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!

Maybe so, but wouldn't it be great to have that choice? With choice that moment has changed from "omg my weapon dropped" to "omg I won, and it was on the boss that had my weapon YESSS!!, wait, there's also a tank shield AND a DPS tinket too?!. Hmmm... my current weapon is only 8 ilvls below this new weapon but the trinket is a BIG upgrade to my current rare (blue) trinket and will increase my dps by A LOT! new shiny weapon or dps boost?" "i'll go with the shield! /troll"

Just kidding about the shield thing :P but who wouldn't want to shield slam a boss in the face? Maybe blizzard should focus all their resources on creating a shield dps spec /endtroll...
But going back to your moment regarding the weapon drop. Does that moment still have the same impact as the first if you got the same weapon a second time? a third?

Presented with choices, you can continue to strengthen your current gearing path (last week you got the sword (so shiny), this time choose the trinket) or deviate from that path and assemble an off spec set (go with the shield).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]