Playing Healing Specs with Multiple Priests

90 Human Priest
As a priest waiting for servers to come up so I can hit 90 and start the infamous gear grind, my question is fairly straight forward. A friend and I think it would be enjoyable to be dual priests for healing on a team, would being dual Disc even work well considering weakened soul? Or should I start working as Holy.

Both specs are fun to me so that isn't the issue, my question is more geared towards compatibility.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Like for pve or pvp?

I was running two disc for 10m last patch and didn't have many problems. Mind you it was hard to heal people up to full if you mistimed a SS (and it took hella long via PoH). Weakened Soul is annoying if you're trying to get your rapture procs off by just focusing on tanks.

All in all, I would say switch to holy. More versatility with a holy and disc than just two disc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Yeah, probably should of mentioned that I was speaking for PvE. Sorry about that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Problem wouldn't be weakened soul but you need more raw healing to fill the bars. Our disc priest is last on the heal meter. One is enough. They look good because all of their heals are absorbed but when you get to a fight where there is continuous damage they seem to fall last where as someone like me with renews shoots through the roof on healing. I actually don't enjoy healing with a disc priest. I would rather have any other healer to heal with.
Reply Quote
92 Human Priest
having 2 disc priests can work, but you would always gain more from having 2 different healer specs/classes. more utility, and less overlap.

in this specific case a holy + disc is the superior choice on paper. i say on paper, because at the end of the day you are going be more effective in the playstyle you enjoy.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
03/19/2013 09:10 AMPosted by Averyhh
Problem wouldn't be weakened soul but you need more raw healing to fill the bars. Our disc priest is last on the heal meter. One is enough.

You are correct in the fact that they do not have as much raw healing now since the crit change. It is difficult to fill the bars back up if you do now know what you are doing. I find it extremely hard to believe that your disc priest is last on the heal meter considering they are still very overpowered currently. Maybe they need to do some more research.

Stacking disc priests can be tricky. For three heal fights, top end guilds are using 2 disc and 1 holy pally. I know this is applicable to most raiders, but obviously this tends to prove that having 2 disc priests is highly viable.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
So it sounds like its not a terrible idea to try and go dual Disc, guess we will have to see how everything falls. I don't mind playing either spec, just wanted to get the opinion of people who have been through both scenarios and how it worked for them.

Thanks for the insight from all the replies.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
From a mechanical point of view it's viable to use two Disc, but not necessarily ideal. Disc and Holy would be better, but that's not ideal either for gear purposes. Two priests will be competing for the same gear. From a gearing standpoint it's best to have a healing team comprised of different armor types.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Our disc priest is last on the heal meter.

oh dear...

@op: the likely thing you will have to work out is how to get maximum uptime on rapture and such. in our 25 man we often have 3 disc priests and it works out fine. It should be doable in a 10 man but honestly you could see some benefit from one of you going holy, especially with having a varied cd (divine hymn versus barrier). It's still pretty doable though as long as you guys are communicating who's target is who's when it comes to the internal cooldown on rapture and using pw:s.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Double disc works well in theory but in practice it works out to be quite an annoyance. It's mainly because if you're both good discs, you're gonna be trying to shield the exact same people, making some severe annoyance issues with rapture and weakened soul. I personally lose about 1/4th of my throughput when healing with another disc and they often lose more than half of theirs. It's just not fun to have to call out everyone you shield.

Now holy and disc is a wonderful comp, if a bit strange on gear. Just have the holy priest sit in serenity chakra and roll renews on the raid with heal. It's dirt cheap and plays much like a resto druid. (for big aoe heals that don't need to happen constantly, just hit cascade after blanketing the raid a bit. It'll refresh ALL the renews on people it hits.) And the best part is if a heavy aoe phase comes up, the holy priest can swap to sanctuary chakra and put out some impressive aoe healing.
Reply Quote
Our disc priest is last on the heal meter.

I.. don't have a nice way to say this, so I will just say it: If this is true, your disc priest is absolutely godawful and you should do what you can to help him, or replace him.

OP: I would go holy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Yeah, seems to be the best way to go. I had a feeling the most obvious answer would be correct to just go Holy. Which, like I said I don't mind and neither does the other priest, so we will just have to lay the ground work between us.

Again, thanks for the feedback from everyone.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
I currently raid with another Priest in 10man.

If a fight requires someone to go Holy it is the other Priest's job to cover that. That being said, I haven't seen a fight this tier where being Holy was advantageous over being Disc. So we've just been doing 2 Disc throughout all of it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
2 disc priest would be severely annoying and I personally would refuse to do it. It would totally jack up my healing reflexes when I'm applying PW Shield even if my frames are set up to see who has Weakend Soul. It would be too frustrating to even bother with.

If this wasn't MoP I'd just offer to heal on another class, but since gearing more than one char for PVE is next to impossible for me thanks to the gating of junk, I don't have that choice. So I'd just say, replace me, IDC.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I have found 2 fights that I chose to heal as holy this expansion in our tens (Tsulong and Tortos); however, healing with another discipline (did it a few times in Cata) tends to drain everyone's throughput, waste lots of time with both of us trying to put "oh crap" shields up at the same time, and in general piss both of us off. If I'm in LFR, I generally run as holy because I refuse to play "who has the best latency" with people that I don't know and am not in voice chat with.

One of you should go holy (or find a healer with a different armour class and different dispels).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]