Pet Avoidance Broken Post 5.2

(Locked)

90 Tauren Druid
Since I can't seem to find anything relevant in any google searches, on these forums, or ANY kind of acknowledgment from Blizzard, I have decided to post this thread here.

Pets are no longer gaining effects or benefits from "Avoidance", which reduces pet damage from AoE effects by an additional 90%. This is a game-breaking bug for classes that use pets and yet there has been absolutely no acknowledgment from Blizzard regarding it. This makes a person wonder if they even have an idea on how to fix it, or if it's an intended nerf. The fact is that we just don't know because there has been no word from Blizzard about it.

Your player base NEEDS to hear word on this. I have heard about and seen Hunters getting benched in raids because they just can't keep their pets alive anymore. I was expecting to see something about it in the most recent hotfix notes (March 19), but there was nothing. Not even anything about it being a known issue. NOTHING. This is unacceptable.

If Blizzard doesn't currently know how to fix it, that would be find as long as we heard something from them and could know that they are currently working on a fix for it. But as far as we know, they don't know, they don't care, and they're not doing anything about it.
90 Tauren Druid
/bump
This needs to be addressed.
9 Troll Warrior
Avoidance still works, are you sure this isn't just rare mobs with avoidable AOE spells that your pets take full damage from? Those creatures were buffed to prevent hunters/pet classes from just letting their pets face tank through everything, which was diminishing the spirit of the challenge and the intent of the champions/bosses.
90 Tauren Druid
There's nothing in the patch notes about anything you just said; it is completely unintended and we have heard nothing from Blizzard about it.

These creatures have not been buffed; Avoidance is bugged. How do you explain pets dying to boss AoE in one hit? Are you trying to tell me that Blizzard doesn't want Hunters to raid anymore?

Still waiting for a response from Blizzard.

Go troll somewhere else.
Edited by Kurnch on 3/20/2013 6:42 PM PDT
9 Troll Warrior
How do you explain pets dying to boss AoE in one hit? Are you trying to tell me that Blizzard doesn't want Hunters to raid anymore?

You are implying that there are raid bosses that are now killing hunter pets much more quickly than before. Can you please specify which raid boss this is, and what ability is now more lethal?

Raid bosses would be bad if they were suddenly this much more harsh, but I could understand it for the rare champions. If you clarify/provide more detail, it could help find bug specifics.
90 Tauren Druid
It is ALL AoE mechanics in game that are affected.

I could list all dungeon and raid bosses and all the rare spawns, but I'm pretty sure I encompassed them all already by saying that it's ALL AoE mechanics in game.

The day before patch, pets took an additional 90% less damage from such mechanics, the day patch hit and since then, pets have been taking full damage from AoE mechanics.

Taken directly from the tooltip: "Reduces the damage your pet takes from creature area of effect attacks by an additional 90%."

In no way does the tooltip leave out or exclude any kind of AoE from any creature.

@Mightbtrolln:
Please don't post in these threads anymore. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and are just muddying up the threads.

90 Tauren Druid
/bump

90 Pandaren Hunter
Im right there with you bud. Every boss that has an AOE i am now losing my pet left and right. I had a ticket in last week and they had told me they were aware of it and working on a fix. While i can admit its nice to be able to solo some content thanks to my pet its more benificial for me to be able to raid/do anything without losing a focal part of my dps. May not be a blue post on it anytime soon but there are many unhappy about this so keep your fingers crossed.
9 Troll Warrior
So to recap, this thread has three people posting in it. One person is claiming this is affecting EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE THE ENTIRE WORLD HYPERBOLE

The other person is asking for specifics, which boss, which ability.

The final person ignores the person asking for specifics and agrees that pets are more fragile.

Just to cut to the chase here, this is not in any way helping your case. Provide specifics or you are no better than hysterics.
Quality Assurance
Please provide an individual instance, mob, ability, pet, etc where you saw this occurring.
90 Goblin Hunter
So to recap, this thread has three people posting in it. One person is claiming this is affecting EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE THE ENTIRE WORLD HYPERBOLE

The other person is asking for specifics, which boss, which ability.

The final person ignores the person asking for specifics and agrees that pets are more fragile.

Just to cut to the chase here, this is not in any way helping your case. Provide specifics or you are no better than hysterics.

Are you trolling?

There does appear to be an issue with AoE and pets. I noticed it on my hunter as well.

To say that this is intended, even if you only mean for rares, is pretty baseless;

1. Bliz never said they intended it.
2. There is nothing in the patch notes about this change.
3. It does not make any sense with respect to the basic reasoning behind giving pets avoidance in the first place.

Before late LK pets could be controlled fast enough to keep them up when bosses AoEd. Bliz did not implement many fights with extremely punishing AoE damage and there was less AoE overall in PVE.

However, Bliz began making AoE a big part of boss mechanics, they also made the expectation of player reaction time to AoE higher. We simply needed to get out of the fire more often, in more varied ways, and with less time.

They had the choice of buffing pets so they had healthpools, damage mitigation, armor, and avoidance mechanics similar to players so hunters could be expected to REACT and save their pet in the similar time it would take for any player to react and save themselves.

Making hunter pets that powerful (and that controllable) would be game breaking outside of raids.

It was also at a time where they were trying to reduce the number of things hunters had to manage and the number of buttons they needed to deal with (hunters currently have 11 buttons in their priority rotation not including on use trinkets/enchants, not including pet management/healing, and not including traps/utility/misdirection or not including defensive cooldowns - in the past it hovered between 14 and 17 buttons).

Ultimately giving pets AoE avoidance was the most elegant solution. It also did little to "buff" hunters.

To expect hunters to have more than 33% faster reaction times than players while controlling their pets is not reasonable - even for rare mobs. Not to mention all the control functions for they would have to add to the game to deal with current more precise AoE mechanics.
Edited by Irk on 3/21/2013 11:19 AM PDT
90 Goblin Hunter
Please provide an individual instance, mob, ability, pet, etc where you saw this occurring.

Ali SKymirror's spinning crane kick is a specific one but it is happening more than just there.
71 Blood Elf Mage
There have been numerous posts on this issue. Will link a couple.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8197590163?page=1

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8198731062#6
Community Manager
Pet avoidance previously trivialized encounters against some of Pandaria's rare mobs. This was corrected in patch 5.2, so be prepared to rein in your pet!
90 Tauren Druid

I got really excited when I saw that there was a "Blue" post on this thread, turns out my excitement was for nothing.

I shouldn't have to list any of the individual NPCs on which this is happening because, as I have already said, it is happening in on any mob that has an AoE ability. This means everything has been affected. But just to make you happy, it's happened on Galleon, for example, when he Stomps. But this doesn't just mean that it's only happening on Galleon. It's happening on everything. I just listed one to fulfill your requirements.

Here are a few threads I dug up in a quick search of just the Bug Report forums:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8155895599
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8178738065
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8156255620
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8197591425
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8197590163?page=1

All of these threads contain other bug reports of this same thing happening.

@Mightbtrolln
We all know that you are a troll. As I have said before, please refrain from posting in this thread, as you are just muddying things up. Don't talk about things about which you know nothing. And I would say that an issue that it causing Hunters to not be able to function on encounters against such mobs (because they were kind of built around their pet) is anything but hysterical.

There are multiple accounts of this happening and all have been met with absolutely NO response from Blizzard. They won't even acknowledge the fact that it's happening, so we don't know if they're working on a fix for it.

This is unacceptable.

EDIT: In the middle of writing this post, Crithto responded. See my response below.
Edited by Kurnch on 3/21/2013 12:46 PM PDT
90 Draenei Hunter
just stated it was an intended change

i guess the way to make pandaria rares even harder is to nerf pets~
90 Tauren Druid
Pet avoidance previously trivialized encounters against some of Pandaria's rare mobs. This was corrected in patch 5.2, so be prepared to rein in your pet!

There was nothing about this in the patch notes. This was NOT intended, so don't try to pretend that it was.

Furthermore, how do you explain this happening on dungeon and raid bosses? Is Blizzard trying to push Hunters out of raiding?
90 Tauren Druid
just stated it was an intended change

i guess the way to make pandaria rares even harder is to nerf pets~

If it really was intended, where is anything about this in the patch notes? Besides this thread, where is any acknowledgment from Blizzard?
90 Draenei Hunter
there were a lot of things that were changed that were apparently not put in the patch notes

Was it meant to affect non-rares with the same abilities - e.g., Nove in the Little Patience scenario?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]