Pet Avoidance Broken Post 5.2

(Locked)

90 Dwarf Hunter
03/21/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Kurnch
Pet avoidance previously trivialized encounters against some of Pandaria's rare mobs. This was corrected in patch 5.2, so be prepared to rein in your pet!

There was nothing about this in the patch notes. This was NOT intended, so don't try to pretend that it was.

Furthermore, how do you explain this happening on dungeon and raid bosses? Is Blizzard trying to push Hunters out of raiding?

Macro your pets command to follow and press it when bad AoE starts to come down. He'll run over to you who's obviously not standing in bad stuff. Send him back when the AoE is done.

Oh no, we might have to actually take care with our pets!

Also:
Thank you for your trolling! I have responded. The cycle is complete.
90 Tauren Druid
there were a lot of things that were changed that were apparently not put in the patch notes

Anything specific, or are you just saying that?
90 Tauren Druid
03/21/2013 12:56 PMPosted by Bronnfire

There was nothing about this in the patch notes. This was NOT intended, so don't try to pretend that it was.

Furthermore, how do you explain this happening on dungeon and raid bosses? Is Blizzard trying to push Hunters out of raiding?

Macro your pets command to follow and press it when bad AoE starts to come down. He'll run over to you who's obviously not standing in bad stuff. Send him back when the AoE is done.

Oh no, we might have to actually take care with our pets!

Also:
Thank you for your trolling! I have responded. The cycle is complete.

Micromanaging pets isn't the issue here. The issue is that Pet Avoidance is broken and there is nothing in the patch notes about it.
71 Blood Elf Mage
So it's intended, not in patch notes, and w/over two weeks before it being acknowledged. Nice.
90 Human Death Knight
Blizzard should have put that in the patch notes for sure...

But it IS an interesting way to make hunters once again required to actually manage their pet instead of heal and face tank every single mob in the world.
90 Tauren Druid
But it IS an interesting way to make hunters once again required to actually manage their pet instead of heal and face tank every single mob in the world.

Again, that is not the issue here. The issue here is that Avoidance is broken and Blizzard is not acknowledging it. The whole reason Avoidance was put into the game was so that pet classes wouldn't have to watch their pets so closely.

If Blizzard wanted Hunters to have to micromanage their pets, why did they even put Avoidance in the game? It's not fair to pet classes to have to worry both their positioning AND their pet's positioning when most other classes only have to worry about themselves.
Edited by Kurnch on 3/21/2013 1:49 PM PDT
100 Worgen Mage
just stated it was an intended change

i guess the way to make pandaria rares even harder is to nerf pets~

If it really was intended, where is anything about this in the patch notes? Besides this thread, where is any acknowledgment from Blizzard?

Just because it's not in the patchnotes doesn't mean it wasn't intended.

The acknowledgement from Blizzard is the second blue post in this thread. It's not necessary for Blizzard to make multiple acknowledgements. A single blue post on the Blizzard forums is sufficient official acknowledgement.
100 Human Paladin
03/21/2013 01:24 PMPosted by Kurnch

Again, that is not the issue here. The issue here is that Avoidance is broken and Blizzard is not acknowledging it. The whole reason Avoidance was put into the game was so that pet classes wouldn't have to watch their pets so closely.

If Blizzard wanted Hunters to have to micromanage their pets, why did they even put Avoidance in the game? It's not fair to pet classes to have to worry both their positioning AND their pet's positioning when most other classes only have to worry about themselves.

A blue just said they reverted pet avoidance. Why do you keep insisting it is broken even if they didn't put it in the patch notes? A blue said it, nuff said.
90 Troll Hunter
Well, I was wondering why everything with an aoe was breaking my pet's kneecaps no matter what I did to try to keep it alive. Thanks for the information and re-affirming that blizz hates hunters (Not really, but god damn they need to fix this or something)
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Pet avoidance previously trivialized encounters against some of Pandaria's rare mobs. This was corrected in patch 5.2, so be prepared to rein in your pet!

And you know....you couldn't have said that in the patch notes 2 1/2 weeks ago considering it affects all pets and not just certain kinds? I've read through the notes multiple times and see things that would hardly have been noticed had they not been in the notes but something like this?

This affects all pet classes and their ability to solo and you didn't feel the need to say a word about it for 2 1/2 weeks when there's been multiple threads on this exact same subject....and it took 2 1/2 weeks to say a simple yes or no whether it was intended or not. A simple yes or no took that long when it affects multiple classes.

I can hardly say i'd do better when it comes to responding to threads right after a patch but this is pretty facepalm worthy when it's a multiple class problem that has been known about and posted about since day one of the patch going live.
Edited by Wilhelm on 3/21/2013 2:00 PM PDT
15 Human Priest
What is more annoying is having to rez your pet during/after a raid boss fight because it died to... AoE (note this is a dps pet with growl turned off). Last night I lost my pet to Elegon not once, not twice but three times, it's extremely annoying I'm just glad I was SV instead of BM.
90 Tauren Druid
Blizzard hasn't acknowledged anything except for the fact that they don't understand the issue.

From the only Blue response that we've gotten "acknowledging" the issue, they only addressed an undocumented change to Pandaria rares. But they really didn't address anything at all, because those NPCs have AoE abilities that aren't being affected by Avoidance. They also still have not addressed why raid, dungeon, and scenario bosses are stomping pets with AoE.

Avoidance is broken and if it weren't, it wouldn't pick and choose which NPC's abilities to affect. Taken directly from the tooltip:

"Reduces the damage your pet takes from creature area of effect attacks by an additional 90%."

Nowhere in the tooltip does it discriminate against any NPC's specific abilities.

Avoidance is still broken; some blue post didn't magically fix it. And Blizzard won't admit that it's broken.
Edited by Kurnch on 3/21/2013 2:08 PM PDT
71 Blood Elf Mage
The acknowledgement from Blizzard is the second blue post in this thread. It's not necessary for Blizzard to make multiple acknowledgements. A single blue post on the Blizzard forums is sufficient official acknowledgement.

Although true, this is the first acknowledgement from Blizzard. After countless post since 5.2, these are the first responses, and only one is acknowledging the change as intended.
90 Night Elf Priest

Is there a reason why changes and corrections like these are left out of patch notes? That is the reason people think they must be unintended or bugs when they come across them in the game world.
90 Worgen Death Knight
Simple solution, make the passive spell an active spell with a 30 second cooldown. If you want your pet to fight for you, it's your job to maintain it's survivability, adding a skill to manage the pet makes sense imo and removes the trivialization of using pets on mobs with harsh aoe's.
Edited by Akylio on 3/21/2013 2:20 PM PDT
90 Tauren Druid
Simple solution, make the passive spell an active spell with a 30 second cooldown. If you want your pet to fight for you, it's your job to maintain it's survivability, adding a skill to manage the pet makes sense imo and removes the trivialization of using pets on mobs with harsh aoe's.

Again, this thread is not about the need for pet classes to have to micromanage their pets.

This thread is about the fact that Avoidance is broken, and Blizzard isn't doing anything about it.
90 Troll Hunter
Macro your pets command to follow and press it when bad AoE starts to come down. He'll run over to you who's obviously not standing in bad stuff. Send him back when the AoE is done.Oh no, we might have to actually take care with our pets!Also:Thank you for your trolling! I have responded. The cycle is complete.

Im sure for a carebear LFR casual like yourself, having to control both your movement and your pets for every single fight wont get your removed from the raid for sub par performance, but anyone doing any REAL RAIDING is screwed.

Real raiding requires so much more movement, dps, and split second reaction than you can even imagine from your LFR 'go afk and collect loot' runs. You are like a junior high kid in an after school boxing club trying to tell the heavyweight champion of the world that he just needs to be faster and punch harder.
100 Night Elf Hunter
Guilty as charaged. I have to admit I'm one of those hunters who tends to just blindly play tank-and-spank with everything that moves and I end up never using any actual strategy against rare mobs. I hadn't actually taken down any of the level 90+ pandaran champions and was basically just waiting to outgear them.
85 Night Elf Monk

I doubt this is the case: if Blizzard thought this was so "trivializing," what took them 5 1/2 months and 2 patches to "fix" it? Hunters and warlocks have been doing this since MoP launch. Why did it take so long to "fix?"

I don't understand how Blizzard doesn't seem to get that this isn't only affecting the "rare 5.0 Pandaria" mobs. All pet classes (not just hunters) are having problems keeping their pets alive in raid encounters, on world bosses, and some scenarios as well.

And others trying to minimize how much this affects pet classes doesn't mean that Avoidance isn't bugged, nor does it make this bug OK.

How can pet classes be designed around their pet taking 90% less damage from AoE, then be expected to function correctly when the mechanic is taken away? Especially with how AoE-heavy current boss fights are.

Hunters already have and use a couple of abilities like that - all pets get Cower, a 40% for 6 seconds on a 45 sec cooldown, and then turtles/beetles have a 50% for 12 seconds on a minute cooldown.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]