Pet Avoidance Broken Post 5.2

(Locked)

90 Blood Elf Hunter
Broken or not, We pet classes. Heck all classes in general dont need anymore buttons to press
61 Blood Elf Rogue
[quote]
How can pet classes be designed around their pet taking 90% less damage from AoE, then be expected to function correctly when the mechanic is taken away? Especially with how AoE-heavy current boss fights are.

This is absolutely correct and the point in case for the issue being discussed.
61 Blood Elf Rogue
03/21/2013 02:26 PMPosted by Tajit
Simple solution, make the passive spell an active spell with a 30 second cooldown. If you want your pet to fight for you, it's your job to maintain it's survivability, adding a skill to manage the pet makes sense imo and removes the trivialization of using pets on mobs with harsh aoe's.

Hunters already have and use a couple of abilities like that - all pets get Cower, a 40% for 6 seconds on a 45 sec cooldown, and then turtles/beetles have a 50% for 12 seconds on a minute cooldown.

Important to note that at the point of having to use "cower", a hunter will likely be needing to heal and force the pet to retreat. Having experienced this personally on my hunter, this still poses a major issue since much of the time the pet will still die, even if the pet is set for tenacity and I'm GLYPHED for max healing on my pet. "Cower" has a snare/ slow effect on the pet while active. That certainly is a contributing issue with this current design.
Edited by Newsflash on 3/21/2013 5:29 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
Great, I JUST got this guy to 90, and had planned to raid, what the hell am I supposed to do now?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Great, I JUST got this guy to 90, and had planned to raid, what the hell am I supposed to do now?

Can still raid, this does not affect any raid bosses other than in select instances people are talking about. This is all about rare mobs that have been there since 5.0 and have since had pets ninja nerfed on them because they waited 6 months to implement the change and not tell anyone about when they had more than enough evidence for just doing it in 5.1 or earlier if they felt the need to do so.

Again Sapper or even Crit if you are still looking at this thread. Why did you feel the need to implement this change so late into the expac and not say a word about it in the patch notes considering it affects all classes that use pets on rares? There was more than enough evidence for a nerf to pets on them in 5.1 or even well before and yet you felt the need to hold out another 4 months when everyone was so used to being able to handle the rares the way they used to.

You want people to adjust to the change on rares? Then let it be known ahead of time in the patch notes that such a change is going through, this however is not something you completely forget to add to the notes and suddenly expect people to adapt or just not be able to kill rares anymore.
Edited by Wilhelm on 3/21/2013 5:43 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
03/21/2013 05:36 PMPosted by Wilhelm

Can still raid, this does not affect any raid bosses other than in select instances people are talking about. This is all about rare mobs that have been there since 5.0 and have since had pets ninja nerfed on them because they waited 6 months to implement the change and not tell anyone about when they had more than enough evidence for just doing it in 5.1 or earlier if they felt the need to do so.

I was looking forward to actually being able to solo the Pandaria rares now that I'm 90, guess that's out of the question now.
61 Blood Elf Rogue
We're currently still testing this and are not seeing a broad issue with avoidance. If you are seeing this please screenshot the combat log, note the ability, and submit it.
It should be reducing the damage of all AOE abilities not involved with MOP rares.

I can attest that in the Tortos encounter that on my hunter my pet gets raped by the loads of AoE. Even glyphed for max healing and quickly calling my pet to me it often dies. I'm uncertain of which encounter AoE(s) is the primary culprit. In my main raid, I've noticed that our hunter is having the same issue.

I can also say that I've noticed that this isn't a global issue. Avoidance is still working against most AoE affects. It certainly isn't against the "monk" type Panderan rares' spinning crane kick. I have to contest this change none the less (if even only intended for this type of rare). Previously, if I wasn't glyphed or spec'd correctly for approaching this rare class, the spinning crane kick ability could already kill my pet if I didn't interupt it or retreat my pet.

Those rares as w/ all the rares became/ become less of a challange w/ gear, but now I almost always lose my pet when engaging the Pandaren monk rares and have to tank the mob by myself. Even anticipating the spinning crane kick, retreating my pet, snaring the mob, and healing my pet ... the instant the pre-cast channel begins, my pet generally dies.

So where as you state previously pets trivialized this encounter (I disagree [they were easily manageable w/ skill but still a challange]), now pets are trivial in an encounter w/ these mobs. They merely provide an initial damage increase before being gimped right out of the encounter. FURTHERMORE this change doesn't seem to be isolated. I've noticed that on normal mode Elegon and in the Tortos encounters (at least), that this change has carried over.

This is an issue.

I suppose I wouldn't mind this if we still had the old pet tallent system available. I would simply spec a pet to have intervene.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/21/2013 12:59 PMPosted by Kurnch
there were a lot of things that were changed that were apparently not put in the patch notes

Anything specific, or are you just saying that?

Flight path auto-discovery was removed, and wasn't listed in the patch notes. Last patch, the respawn rate of ore and herb nodes was drastically reduced, also undocumented.

Then you have crap like the Quick and the Dead nerf listed as a bug fix.

Whether or not you agree with any of these changes being necessary, they should be documented. We read the patch notes to see what in the game has changed, not what the PR wants us to know has changed.
90 Tauren Druid
03/21/2013 06:00 PMPosted by Lorence

Anything specific, or are you just saying that?

Flight path auto-discovery was removed, and wasn't listed in the patch notes. Last patch, the respawn rate of ore and herb nodes was drastically reduced, also undocumented.

Then you have crap like the Quick and the Dead nerf listed as a bug fix.

Whether or not you agree with any of these changes being necessary, they should be documented. We read the patch notes to see what in the game has changed, not what the PR wants us to know has changed.

Exactly. A player base expects full transparency regarding game changes. If players aren't told about changes happening, things like this happen.

I still find it suspicious that Blizzard won't post more often regarding this issue, even if it's as not widespread as I originally said.
85 Night Elf Monk
Exactly. A player base expects full transparency regarding game changes. If players aren't told about changes happening, things like this happen.

I still find it suspicious that Blizzard won't post more often regarding this issue, even if it's as not widespread as I originally said.

Yeah, it sounds like this change is only affecting specific mobs, but is also affecting more mobs than the Blue said earlier in the thread.

Regardless of how many mobs or which mobs this is affecting, there should have been a note in the patch notes regarding the change, especially considering how much this change affects pet classes.

It's amazing how much confusion there WOULDN'T be right now if they had just included this change in their patch notes, but it wasn't (and THAT is what has led so many to think that something is terribly wrong with their pets). Because it wasn't included, we have the current situation.

And speaking of suspicious, I still don't see how they could have allowed pet classes to utilize their pets on these mobs for so long (5 1/2 months and 1 major patch) if they felt that it "trivialized" the content. That and this change not being documented is what has led many of us (including me) to think that this change was unintended, and what has led so many to refer to the change as a "bug."
95 Troll Druid
Honestly if your pet is gonna do half your dmg now, then maybe it's time it took dmg like a real raider.
90 Troll Druid
glad my main isn't a hunter
90 Human Death Knight
Honestly if your pet is gonna do half your dmg now, then maybe it's time it took dmg like a real raider.

If that is the case, how about they get HP like a real raider, and have actual Defensive cool downs like a real raider.
90 Gnome Priest

In that case pets need to get their health buffed to be the same as a raider, get the same buffs as raiders, etc.

And only BM comes close to getting 50% of overall damage from pets. MM and SV only run 10-15% in most cases. Forcing hunters to use up a massive number of GCDs just to keep their pets alive kills hunter DPS.

If I have to use up enough GCDs to keep my pet alive that my DPS drops 15%, what's the point of having a pet?

As for the issues on the lack of a patch note, one of the CMs one time talked about how patch notes are written. If the developers don't communicate the changes to the CMs working on the patch notes, they can't be included. And with the massive number of changes made, things are bound to be missed. I agree that something this big should have been mentioned but I'm not going to fault them for being human and getting info lost somewhere in the communication stream.
93 Human Warlock
Its an interesting change - perhaps make Avoidance a defensive CD would be sufficient if it is happening with Raid bosses - otherwise - suck it up or go SV.
90 Troll Hunter
I think it's time for that long-awaited pet sac for hunters.
Creatures

Spinning Crane Kick cast by Pandaren rare spawns now ignores Avoidance on pets.

That's been in the patch notes since the beginning. So enough with the "wasn't in the patch notes." As for any other aoe that might be ignoring avoidance, you should be bringing actual details like was asked for by the blue. They can't fix something if they don't know it's broken.
100 Night Elf Hunter
We're currently still testing this and are not seeing a broad issue with avoidance. If you are seeing this please screenshot the combat log, note the ability, and submit it.
It should be reducing the damage of all AOE abilities not involved with MOP rares.

My pet is dying over and over again when some AOE is used with some trash especially on the trash up to Ji-Kun. I had mine on passive and an AOE from the flies kept killing it even with me mending it.

So doing zero DPS and sitting by my side it was dying so I left it dead after the 4th death.

Obviously this is a mess.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]