Pet Avoidance Broken Post 5.2

(Locked)

90 Dwarf Warlock
03/21/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Kurnch
Pet avoidance previously trivialized encounters against some of Pandaria's rare mobs. This was corrected in patch 5.2, so be prepared to rein in your pet!

There was nothing about this in the patch notes. This was NOT intended, so don't try to pretend that it was.

Furthermore, how do you explain this happening on dungeon and raid bosses? Is Blizzard trying to push Hunters out of raiding?

Doesn't happen to my pet in raids.

Does when I fight the pandaren monk rares.

Maybe it's just hunters? My observer stays alive in raid encounters just fine.
90 Dwarf Warlock
Real raiding requires so much more movement, dps, and split second reaction than you can even imagine from your LFR 'go afk and collect loot' runs. You are like a junior high kid in an after school boxing club trying to tell the heavyweight champion of the world that he just needs to be faster and punch harder.

Did you ever raid with a pet class before they added avoidance?

Shut up. It was the singular main reason we didn't take BM hunters anywhere.. because it was guaranteed that the pet would die.

The way I'm reading this whole response from Blizzard is:

"we didn't want you soloing the rares in Pandaria without thinking so their AoEs hit your pet through avoidance. If it's not working on raid bosses, let us know which ones."

Note that the acknowledgement came AFTER someone mentioned the Spinning Crane Kick on Skymirror. I just had my pet eaten by that on the Shifting Cloud. Figured "ok I'll deal with it, and put my observer on passive and parked out of the way so I could use his interrupt and just tanked him myself.

I doubt this is the case: if Blizzard thought this was so "trivializing," what took them 5 1/2 months and 2 patches to "fix" it? Hunters and warlocks have been doing this since MoP launch. Why did it take so long to "fix?"

They probably want to add new rares that they didn't want hunters and locks to be the only ones that could solo them.
90 Dwarf Warlock
So even though Avoidance DOES seem to be working correctly, why does the change to Pandaria rares only effect SOME of them instead of ALL of them. Doesn't having Avoidance trivialize the melee Mogu rares in much the same way it did against the Pandaren rares?

My pet didn't stand in the arc. He ran behind it when it was casting.

Normally I manually move my pet when I don't want him standing in something. I also make people happy when he tanks Progenitus by keeping him parked somewhere, recalling him out of the knockback, and preventing him from running off the edge unless some idiot hunter's pet taunts it off Xorros. Then I has a sad. :/
90 Dwarf Warlock
03/21/2013 05:54 PMPosted by Newsflash
snaring the mob,

Spinning crane kick makes them immune to roots and snares.

And speaking of suspicious, I still don't see how they could have allowed pet classes to utilize their pets on these mobs for so long (5 1/2 months and 1 major patch) if they felt that it "trivialized" the content. That and this change not being documented is what has led many of us (including me) to think that this change was unintended, and what has led so many to refer to the change as a "bug."

Or, they changed it so that they could make future encounters where a hunter/lock couldn't solo it by tank and spank. Like the warbringers.

As for the issues on the lack of a patch note, one of the CMs one time talked about how patch notes are written. If the developers don't communicate the changes to the CMs working on the patch notes, they can't be included. And with the massive number of changes made, things are bound to be missed. I agree that something this big should have been mentioned but I'm not going to fault them for being human and getting info lost somewhere in the communication stream.

Last minute changes are also notorious for this.

If it didn't happen on PTR and they pushed the change live without putting it on PTR first, it could be missed that way too. That's a culprit in a few changes over the years.

03/21/2013 10:40 PMPosted by Ariktu
My pet is dying over and over again when some AOE is used with some trash especially on the trash up to Ji-Kun. I had mine on passive and an AOE from the flies kept killing it even with me mending it.

This was killing my pet as well. Needs looked at.
03/21/2013 10:34 PMPosted by Durkik
That's been in the patch notes since the beginning.

Show me where.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/5-2-0

Because what you wrote is not in the patch notes.
I went out to the klaxxi area and attacked 2 of the rare mobs out there (warbringer?) that drops rep items + 1000 for both august celestial and klaxxi. My voidlord (grimoire of supremacy voidwalker) went down hard to them. I resummoned the voidlord twice in one fight and 3 times in the other.

I've gone awhile using grim of sac for pvp and just came back to using pets again for 5.2. Pretty much I don't see me solo'ing pandaren rares anymore quite so easily as I have been without a gateway up, good positioning for portal, Cure of Enfeeblement, and... maxing my burning resource embers before engaging. I kill rares for fun and for vanity items etc. But yeah I can't just rely on my pet anymore by mindlessly health funneling him if he gets too low.

I like the change to the panda rares. It's a little more challenging. I was unaware of the change but luckily I had a healer with me to keep me up during pet gaps. Which is great. If I was a pet class that relied exclusively on pet dmg like BM hunters I can see where my pet dying 3 times in a 3min -4min window is a major problem while raiding. I don't pve much so I'm used to my pet being targeted in pvp and eliminated regularly. Which wasn't much different in this case except my enemy is scripted.
2 Blood Elf Hunter
Just another stupid change.
There was nothing wrong with avoidance the way it was.
But as usual "fun was detected, must nerf it".
The new motto for Blizzard.
90 Dwarf Warlock

Yeah I'm not even seeing it in the hotfix notes.

Though I can see why they'd do it.

Sorta like how they nerfed the crap out of the voidwalker when warlocks were tanking Sartharion with it.
61 Blood Elf Rogue
Creatures

Spinning Crane Kick cast by Pandaren rare spawns now ignores Avoidance on pets.

That's been in the patch notes since the beginning. So enough with the "wasn't in the patch notes." As for any other aoe that might be ignoring avoidance, you should be bringing actual details like was asked for by the blue. They can't fix something if they don't know it's broken.

We pay to play (for enjoyment), not do thurough testing of Blizzards potential screw-ups. If I notice something doesn't seem right, I mention it. The end. It's their job payed for via our subscriptions to test and correct as needed.

Its an interesting change - perhaps make Avoidance a defensive CD would be sufficient if it is happening with Raid bosses - otherwise - suck it up or go SV.

Easy for you to say. What warlocks can sacrifice their pets for a self buff. Can hunters do this? No.

With regards to pet classes, warlocks are a damn joke. Actually the whole game is for warlocks atm. I've whitnessed a warlock with an ilvl of 471, NO enchants, NO gems/ meta solo'ing Warbringers like it were nothing. Their pet was barely being scratched. It was as if they were merely fighting a normal mob w/ just a lot more HP. No combination of talents, glyphs, or pet choice can permit a hunter to do this.
Edited by Newsflash on 3/22/2013 3:16 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Rogue
Durumu the Forgotten -

Demonology Warlock 2-3 Pet deaths per encounter (Wrathguard, no threatening presence or Sac Pact).

Most notably during eyebeam to eyesores and colorblind 3/21/13
That's been in the patch notes since the beginning.

Show me where.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/5-2-0

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8896363/52_The_Thunder_King_Patch_Notes-3_5_2013

apparently they have two different "official patch notes" This was the list that was actually featured on the front page.
Edited by Durkik on 3/22/2013 3:43 AM PDT
90 Worgen Hunter
hmm so i can micro my pet with master's call on a rare that drops 10g or skip it?
We're currently still testing this and are not seeing a broad issue with avoidance. If you are seeing this please screenshot the combat log, note the ability, and submit it.
It should be reducing the damage of all AOE abilities not involved with MOP rares.

If you check all of the examples given, they are all in regards to rare spawns except one guy who said it was happening on the elites on the Isle, which are still world spawns and not raid bosses. The OP own example was Galleon, a world rare.

Our raid hunter has had no issues with this in raid. The OP is exaggerating because he doesn't want to have to actually try against rare mobs.
77 Draenei Death Knight
We're currently still testing this and are not seeing a broad issue with avoidance. If you are seeing this please screenshot the combat log, note the ability, and submit it.
It should be reducing the damage of all AOE abilities not involved with MOP rares.

If you check all of the examples given, they are all in regards to rare spawns except one guy who said it was happening on the elites on the Isle, which are still world spawns and not raid bosses. The OP own example was Galleon, a world rare.

Our raid hunter has had no issues with this in raid. The OP is exaggerating because he doesn't want to have to actually try against rare mobs.

First off, Galleon is a BOSS not a rare. If he was a rare he wouldn't require a raid to kill.

Secondly, check posts before yours. Pets are dying on trash before Ji-kun, Tortos, Magaera and Durumu in Throne of Thunder.
90 Draenei Paladin

This in spades. I was just beginning to level my hunter because I enjoy solo play (87 now) and I read this.

First - PRINCIPLE - honestly and clear open communication with their customers.

Blizzard doesn't believe in it, whether it was their right to do this or not. Actions speak louder than words my friends.

Two - Practicality - if these mobs were dropping ilvl 570+ gear or something or it was breaking the game, then communicate and perhaps find another way to solve it.

Meh, Blizzard it's coming up on summer and I am out of here. My spouse still believed you really hadn't changed from Cata xp and this proves she was correct.

When will you ever learn.

Bye
85 Draenei Shaman

This in spades. I was just beginning to level my hunter because I enjoy solo play (87 now) and I read this.

First - PRINCIPLE - honestly and clear open communication with their customers.

Blizzard doesn't believe in it, whether it was their right to do this or not. Actions speak louder than words my friends.

Two - Practicality - if these mobs were dropping ilvl 570+ gear or something or it was breaking the game, then communicate and perhaps find another way to solve it.

Meh, Blizzard it's coming up on summer and I am out of here. My spouse still believed you really hadn't changed from Cata xp and this proves she was correct.

When will you ever learn.

Bye

can I have your stuff plz?
90 Worgen Hunter
This hunter is an alt, but I play him fairly regularly. I have noticed a definite marked change in pet survivability since patch 5.2 dropped. I'm seeing it in both tenacity and ferocity pets. My (tenacity) pet went from full health to dead doing 25M Blade Lord last night from Unseen Strike. It was a head-scratcher to me until I saw this thread. Thanks for the post, Kurnch.
90 Draenei Hunter
i don't get why they want to "make the game harder"(it's not even making the game hard, it's making it more frustrating; I like challenging boss fights, not just nerfing the lifeblood of BM hunters to "make it hard");

first, they remove auto- flight paths without telling anyone

quick and the dead nerf that was disguised as a bug fix

and now hunter avoidance is screwed up for pandaria rares. maybe i'm just a bad player but this character was the only one who could solo the pandaria rares, my prot warrior even couldn't do it(too low dmg output versus the damage output from the rare) but meh.
100 Gnome Priest
Thanks for this thread. I wondered why I kept having to resurrect my hunter pet in raids this week. I was pretty perplexed by trying to send my pet and realizing he wasn't there, or attempting to summon a different pet and getting the, "Your pet is dead" message, or studying combat logs and seeing my pet had a nearly trivial amount of damage and activity.

Survival hunter using ferocity pets, growl off, misdirecting to tank. Any raid boss I've done with significant AoE has killed my pets this week.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]