Resto shaman healing in 5.2 needs improvments

90 Draenei Shaman
I have been healing with my resto shaman for a while now and with the new patch 5.2 that has come out i am utterly outraged with the healing numbers as far as output goes. i know that we are mainly raid healers but i remember in bwd when i was a main tank healer for quite a few fights. i am around 500 ilvl and im going oom and not able to keep up with the healing numbers in TOT. im adv around 35 and 40k hps in encounters where pallys and priests are at 60k adv. we have some of the best raid cd's but healing stream totem place and forget has gone away. and our single target heals are just plain weak or to mana coustly. i try not to even chain heal now because its not worth the mana. in 10 mans i cannot use healing rain for most of the fights because everyone is spread out. i can go on complaining but something needs to be done. make HST a place and forget or give us less cast time on some of our longer heals or something. i am getting by passesd and kicked out of tot raids because my healing # are to low. (an i know that its not a #'s game with healers its if everyone can stay alive but when people die because they stand in aoe for to long they blame it on the healers). i love healing and i love being a shammy please give us something to compete with priests and pallys throughput in 5.2 so i can go back to having fun healing and not having people pissed at me bacasue im not pulling good enough numbers. does anyone else feel this way?
(note i play my class very well. its not an experiance thing why i cant keep up. its a shaman nurf that is killing me)

sincerely concerned shaman
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I feel you because I am a Resto shammy as well...
My friends always complain my HPS looks so low..
in some fights.. I don't even have 30K.
It seems your gear is better than mine..
I am 490+ ilvl, but i don't even have one 496 tier.
too bad, so sad.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
i know right. im working on my 522 gear and i still need a few peices from HOF but i was doing the councel of elders yesterday and my healing output was only at 35k (untill i needed to drop HTT or acendance) and we had the resto druid that was up at 70k and same with the priest. it made it look like i was not even healing at all. we need a major buff to compete
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Hello Mcheals, reading over your post and looking at your character I'm trying to get a good idea of where you are getting hung up.

Saying shamans are just raid healers? Not sure what you mean by that.. Shaman have always been the " Jack of all trades " in regards to healing. Meaning we can raid heal just as good as we can tank heal. I'm not sure about you but when my GHW crit heals on a tank for 300k+ I wouldn't call it weak.

Are we behind some of the other healers this patch in regards to throughput? Maybe.. But we have more than enough tools to shine when needed. I love the change to HST it is one of the most efficient smart heals in the game.

If you are having mana issues, I would suggest gemming for pure spirit untill you feel comfortable. As far as your reforge and gemming is concerned I'd say it's a little off.

On one hand you seem to be reforging into Crit, but then on your weapon you are reforging out of Crit into Mastery? Also you are reforging all of your haste to Crit, but then have a Int/haste gem in your belt.

Also you seem to have a little to much Mastery.. since you are only doing LFR's and a few normal modes, you would probably be ok reforging your mastery down to 50% or so.

Remember Mastery is great when you need it, but in LFR's and Normal modes where the raid is topped off most of the time, it is wasted.

I would be able to get a better feel on where you are having trouble if you could combatlog a full LFR or normal of ToT.

I was a little scared reading about all the spread healing that has to be done in ToT, but I did my research, and found key points in every fight to maximize my CD's and HPS.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you play your class as well as you have stated, you will find ways to maximize your HPS.

Don't take my response as a knock, but as some constructive criticism.. I like to help in any way I can. Try and post a full log and I will have no problem looking at it and helping you.

*edit, get rid of Echo of Elements, it's garbage for resto.
Edited by Reorganized on 3/21/2013 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Get the recall glyph and use it to get the full mana back from HST and HTT.
We are going to be low on the meters we are the spike healers that is why mastery and crit is so important for us and haste is not as important due to TW procs. We can top the meters if we want but people are going to die in the process including the tanks. We have many tools that other healers do not have including the ability to return mana to the healers that are topping the meters. You need to stop looking at the hps as a gauge to your failure or success and if they complain just say your welcome for all the mana.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
i have swithched and re gemed and reforged into the 2nd cap for haste (3787 i think) and put everything else in crit. i did a HOF yesterday and might i say it was much much improved. i was able to keep RT on most everyone and every time it crited i would get about 5k mana back. and on 10 ppl thats alot. i was usually always the top healer and always at max mana for the first half of the fight. (i used glyph of RT) and i took spirit off for crit in our case right now CRIT>SPIRIT to a point. i droped from about 14k to 10k and stacked crit and man what a differance that made. ( i can give credit to STOCK from opponent) he talked to me on vent for a littlebit and told me some helpful tips. (he is one of the top healers on stormrage on WOL) but my advice haste to 2nd breakpoint ( the extra tick of HTT and HST really put up the #'s) and crit crit crit.

and about your advice on the recall glyph. i did try that and it does help alot but i find it very difficult to use it before that last tick or the tick before the last to recall it. is there an addon that wil let you know when you should recall it or one for and alert for when HST is off CD?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
im on the same boat as you Its Just not looking good for us and were getting worst every week
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
So i also play resto and i am in a 25 man guild i ran with almost 70% mastery in 5.1 and was second to third now in 5.2 i have lowerd my mastery to 50% and focused on haste and crit now my friend keeps saying that all i need is to get my heals out faster but the fastest spell we have is healing surge and that ooms to fast idk what to say i feel like im bringing down the raid and i keep hearing the other class's say that they are carrying i fell left in the dust idk i just needed a place to vent sorry.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I understand that I won't be the top heals but I do wish to earn my keep, my gear is not bad but I would like to see if I'm missing anything that I could do to push more heals out. Any helpful tips would be great Ty in advance!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It is nice to see other resto shammies feeling the same hurt I have been. I think we just have too many spells that have cast times (and pretty long ones too). By the time I get heals off, someone else has beaten me to it. Or their absorb effects negate my heal before I have the chance to cast it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
By the time I get heals off, someone else has beaten me to it. Or their absorb effects negate my heal before I have the chance to cast it.

Then your raid isn't taking enough damage to need as many healers as it has.

But if they're not taking enough damage to benefit from 2 heals, they're clearly not dying either, so unless you're hitting enrage timers, what's the problem? (If you *are* hitting enrage timers, one of your healers probably needs to go dps, but it isn't necessarily you, even if you are low on meters *in the situation of having too many healers*. Because that situation trashes shaman numbers worse than any other spec's.)

Keeping your raid alive isn't enough for you unless you also get to top the meters? Then yeah, shaman might not be for you. I hear disc is good for meter whoring.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
New changes with the hotfix that will help, Healing Rains, Chain Heal and Earthliving buffed 20% live in NA today!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
New changes with the hotfix that will help, Healing Rains, Chain Heal and Earthliving buffed 20% live in NA today!

Yep. Now the things you're actually 'good' at you can be even better at! ...yay?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
It's not an ideal buff (honestly they didnt need to touch healing rain) but i'll take it.

I would have rather seen the 20% healing rain buff be rolled into chain heal with the range of jumps increased to glyph range and the jump diminishing returns removed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you want the jump range increased to glyph range... use the glyph? Is it that essential to spam CH back to back? Druids don't even have ANY spammable multi-person heal and we still manage.

Or is it that glyph slots are too limited because you have 3 other mandatory major glyphs?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Shamans are perfectly fine. I keep up with healers who out gear me with some ease from time to time. Your healing output may be different depending on fights, but learning and managing these changes is what makes you a better healer. If you just want to stand there and heal targets who stand there, please stop playing progressively and please stop complaining that the class/spec isn't strong enough.

Or on your internet standard terms:

L2P BADDIES GOD

/endrant
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
If you want the jump range increased to glyph range... use the glyph? Is it that essential to spam CH back to back? Druids don't even have ANY spammable multi-person heal and we still manage.

Or is it that glyph slots are too limited because you have 3 other mandatory major glyphs?

We have other glyphs that are more needed for one. Biggest issue is having a 4second CD... chain heal is only used in specific scenarios, and generally they are scenarios where you need to spam it 3-4 times back to back.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Shaman aren't even the best at stacked fights anymore.... so this almost makes them the best, but wait we have 1HP Eternal Flame blankets from pallies, DA bubbles from priests, and the massive throughput from monks that still outshine them.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Shaman aren't even the best at stacked fights anymore.... so this almost makes them the best, but wait we have 1HP Eternal Flame blankets from pallies, DA bubbles from priests, and the massive throughput from monks that still outshine them.

Not sure who you've been healing with, but I easily burst over 500k hps in some scenarios when I was healing with a Holy Pali and Disc Priest. Bubbles out, everyone bursting what we could, though sustained through the fight was much lower (merely 84k) I still managed to out heal the other 2. It's not about mastery in every aspect of every fight.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I wasn't talking about mastery I was talking about the 20% buff - aka blizzard doesn't care about shamans' lack of mobility/spread healing aka tier 12 redux but worse. They basically buffed shaman for like 2 or 3 fights this tier which still doesn't address the issue that they're having. Glyph redesign would have been the best option, rather than buffing HR,CH, and ELW that barely get any use this tier outside of those 2 or 3 fights. I would rather be average at stacked and semi useful during heavy movement/spread than exceptional at stacked and useless during movement/spread or both.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]