Question on Warlocks!

90 Night Elf Mage
I'm sorry if there was already a thread on this but I'm in a bit of a hurry so didn't take the time to look, early apologies.

Now the question I have is this - I was on my rogue listening to a warlock in the Cathedral asking for acceptance from members of the Clergy and stuff and encouraging other warlocks to do the same and a person in OOC was saying that, after the Cataclysm, society now accepts warlocks more than they did before.

So my question is - is this true? Are warlocks now allowed to practice openly (barring demonic summonings) in Stormwind and Alliance cities/capitals?

Thanks for answers in advance!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I would imagine Warlocks in the Alliance are now seen as proven but still very untrusted allies. You can now say your a Warlock openly in the alliance and most people will just give you dirty look and not be too trusting...but you won't make an angry mob coming for you like before
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
So would they be, in society, tolerated but still rather loathed where on the battlefield they might have reached the step of respected?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
I don't think there was a specific event that caused wider acceptance of Warlocks, but we do know that by the time of Tides of War they at least occasionally served in the Alliance military. I believe this was the first time Warlocks explicitly and openly fought under the Alliance banner in a way that couldn't possibly be chalked up to game mechanics (since it was in a book).

I wouldn't be surprised if fighting in the Alliance military might of been a condition on allowing the Warlocks to exist legitimately in Stormwind, but that is pure conjecture.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
I don't think there was a specific event that caused wider acceptance of Warlocks, but we do know that by the time of Tides of War they at least occasionally served in the Alliance military. I believe this was the first time Warlocks explicitly and openly fought under the Alliance banner in a way that couldn't possibly be chalked up to game mechanics (since it was in a book).

I wouldn't be surprised if fighting in the Alliance military might of been a condition on allowing the Warlocks to exist legitimately in Stormwind, but that is pure conjecture.

Rather wishing I had read Tides of War now!

Still, though, that seems to be a militant setting which is more understandable for a warlock's practices to be accepted in, less so than in Stormwind or a happy human town.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
There was at least one Warlock in the united Alliance fleet that attacked Durotar in Tides of War. Its Felguard went one-on-one with Garrosh if I remember right.

It may be that, like DKs, locks are seen as a necessary evil.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin

Still, though, that seems to be a militant setting which is more understandable for a warlock's practices to be accepted in, less so than in Stormwind or a happy human town.

True, but if they are allowed in the military then it stands to reason they have some sort of legal protection in Stormwind proper. Provided they don't go around ripping out parts of people's souls of course.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage

True, but if they are allowed in the military then it stands to reason they have some sort of legal protection in Stormwind proper. Provided they don't go around ripping out parts of people's souls of course.

Hm - so basically no undeserved lynch mobs?
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
The short version is Yes. They are accepted. Now I'd imagine they'd have restrictions on what is allowable within city limits or not. Like not letting your demon walk around the city with you or Soul Draining someone.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I doubt warlocks would be allowed in Darnassus or Exodar.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk

Exodar most likely not, I agree, but there are warlock trainers in Darnassus (Worgen ones). And I'd hope you agree that those NPCs exist in universe.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
03/21/2013 09:29 PMPosted by Dreignei

Exodar most likely not, I agree, but there are warlock trainers in Darnassus (Worgen ones). And I'd hope you agree that those NPCs exist in universe.

They're likely there as a convenience for players rather than a lore thing. Mages were barely accepted in Darnassus.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
03/21/2013 09:35 PMPosted by Lena

They're likely there as a convenience for players rather than a lore thing. Mages were barely accepted in Darnassus.

So you're seriously saying trainers aren't canon?

There is no reason to think that man does not really exist in Azeroth.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
From Warlock class dungeon quests. Warlocks grew to be somewhat more accepted.
Darnassus and Exodar, your likely going to get harassed, and likely discriminated against more so than the EK kingdom cities.

Stormwind and Ironforge probably has this policy. As long as you fight with us, don't screw up, and keep your demons, and fel magic out of public eye. We will tolerate you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk

He might exist, but he wouldn't be in Darnassus.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Yes, she is saying some trainers aren't canon. Just like the druid trainer in the worgen starting area isn't exactly canon (druids get cat form before they leave the training area, yet that ability isn't something any Gilnean harvest switches (druids) would have known or learned. They had to learn that from the Night elves, but for game play reasons, it's hand waved in and tactfully ignored IC.

Warlocks would be -hated- by the Night elves almost as much as they are by the Draenei. The warlock trainer in Darnassus is likely there only for game play reasons. Just like game play reasons is why warlocks that are open about what they are and have their demons out in towns and cities aren't attacked and arrested, their demons killed. This was covered in a Blizzcon Q&A a few years ago. Realistically, warlocks would still be hiding and keeping to the shadows. Varian knows they have some use, but most of the military and especially the rest of the Alliance population has no tolerance for warlocks at all. Hence them being unofficially sanctioned somewhat, but officially staying in the shadows so they do not get lynched for being warlocks. A warlock that is open about what he/she is is a stupid one. The smart ones stay in the shadows were it's safer.
Edited by Kynrind on 3/22/2013 7:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
From Warlock class dungeon quests. Warlocks grew to be somewhat more accepted.
Darnassus and Exodar, your likely going to get harassed, and likely discriminated against more so than the EK kingdom cities.

Stormwind and Ironforge probably has this policy. As long as you fight with us, don't screw up, and keep your demons, and fel magic out of public eye. We will tolerate you.

Accepted unofficially. Stay in the shadows you will live. Be open about it and the authorities will look the other way as you're beaten into a pulp.
Reply Quote
The low level class quest warlocks get says Varian is starting to recognize their uses.

Other than that, yeah, Tides of War had warlocks fighting alongside the army.

At this point Azeroth has been through so much crap people probably just don't care about warlocks anymore.
Edited by Draile on 3/22/2013 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Night Elf Hunter
Warlocks and Demon Hunters will always remain on the fringes of society. They can be called on by leaders in times of war but just as easily burned when their missions are over. They made their beds however, so they can and shouldn't have a problem with sleeping in them. Death Knights seem to have a bit more acceptance.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

Yes, she is saying some trainers aren't canon. Just like the druid trainer in the worgen starting area isn't exactly canon (druids get cat form before they leave the training area, yet that ability isn't something any Gilnean harvest switches (druids) would have known or learned. They had to learn that from the Night elves, but for game play reasons, it's hand waved in and tactfully ignored IC.

Warlocks would be -hated- by the Night elves almost as much as they are by the Draenei. The warlock trainer in Darnassus is likely there only for game play reasons. Just like game play reasons is why warlocks that are open about what they are and have their demons out in towns and cities aren't attacked and arrested, their demons killed. This was covered in a Blizzcon Q&A a few years ago. Realistically, warlocks would still be hiding and keeping to the shadows. Varian knows they have some use, but most of the military and especially the rest of the Alliance population has no tolerance for warlocks at all. Hence them being unofficially sanctioned somewhat, but officially staying in the shadows so they do not get lynched for being warlocks. A warlock that is open about what he/she is is a stupid one. The smart ones stay in the shadows were it's safer.

I'm sorry, but that is absurd.

Yes, night elves hate warlocks. But you cannot be serious about this. He is in Darnassus in the game, therefore he is in Darnassus in Azeroth.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]