Lead PvP Designer Confirms Global WW at 2%

90 Orc Warrior
personally i can see why it's representation is so low. i can see how not many people are compelled literally spin around the arena like a ballerina dancer, roll around the arena looking retarded to jab and roundhouse people just to get outpreformed by every single other melee and/or die when karma is on cd. it's a dumb class.

Even when rogues are OP they don't top ladder, and they have really compelling mechanics like stealth and strong openers. Monks don't even have a niche.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Wouldn't perfect spec representation be for all 34 specs to be seen an equal amount?

100/34 = 2.941ect

so the brand new class is 1% players short of balanced representation?

or if you want to remove tanking specs, even though players still do play them for some reason... then its 3.44 so a percent and half ish, from what 2..ish?

I don't think the new class having as many players as all of the previous classes actually indicates balance at all this early into the classes life.

There could be other reasons why WW could use buffs but this one is weak.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Except that makes no sense because they deliberately do not balance PvP around all 34 specs. They have expressly stated multiple times that tank specs are not given any attention in PvP, as well as some 3rd tier DPS specs like Fury, Survival, Combat, Demonology, and Arcane. Holy too. So really, they are actually actively balancing around about 24 specs.

Giving each specialization a 4.2% participation average. Not class, but spec.

uhh regardless of whether they balance it around the 34 specs or not people still play those specs..... so yeah it still makes sense...
Reply Quote
03/22/2013 10:58 AMPosted by Draganrag
personally i can see why it's representation is so low. i can see how not many people are compelled literally spin around the arena like a ballerina dancer, roll around the arena looking retarded to jab and roundhouse people just to get outpreformed by every single other melee and/or die when karma is on cd. it's a dumb class.

Even when rogues are OP they don't top ladder, and they have really compelling mechanics like stealth and strong openers. Monks don't even have a niche.
ya exactly, other melee have compelling mechanics and i just dont see why being a ballerina and spinning around being worthless is compelling when you could be a rogue/dk/feral etc
Reply Quote
03/22/2013 10:50 AMPosted by Outplayedlol
just to get outpreformed by every single other melee

This is the problem, and one of the reasons why monk representation is very low.

It's not a very played class, so that's part of it.

It also doesn't perform as well as <quite a few classes, both DPS and healing> when played to an equal, sometimes higher level.

Monks can certainly get to ratings, by virtue of playing better than people (and are viable in that sense), but replacing a monk with a readily available <some other class> generally gives you a comp that's easier to play, and more effective.

Representation isn't everything when it comes to balance, but the abysmal numbers of a new class should at least hint that something is wonky.

It probably won't climb much until they have a strong point over other classes, which in the end will probably be really difficult to balance. :/
Edited by Punched on 3/22/2013 2:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Wouldn't perfect spec representation be for all 34 specs to be seen an equal amount?

100/34 = 2.941ect

so the brand new class is 1% players short of balanced representation?

or if you want to remove tanking specs, even though players still do play them for some reason... then its 3.44 so a percent and half ish, from what 2..ish?

I don't think the new class having as many players as all of the previous classes actually indicates balance at all this early into the classes life.

There could be other reasons why WW could use buffs but this one is weak.

Except that's not really the way interpreting representation works since it's not Blizzard's intention to have each spec balanced. This is evidenced by most Classes having an unofficial viable "PVE" spec and "PVP" spec.
Edited by Killadrix on 3/22/2013 3:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Except that makes no sense because they deliberately do not balance PvP around all 34 specs. They have expressly stated multiple times that tank specs are not given any attention in PvP, as well as some 3rd tier DPS specs like Fury, Survival, Combat, Demonology, and Arcane. Holy too. So really, they are actually actively balancing around about 24 specs.

Giving each specialization a 4.2% participation average. Not class, but spec.

Except Survival, Demo, and Arcane are used quite often in PvP. Having holy in the list made me lol. Holy is still one of the most desired healers to have in arenas.

Bottom line: WW monks need to l2play. I've seen monks cc every class to death. Between RoP, FoF, Spear Hand Strike, and Grapple Weapon, if you don't have people cc'd to death you should just reroll. Just because you haven't learned how to play the spec to its full potential doesn't mean it needs a buff or that it's weak. Hell demo is still one of the least represented specs and I've seen demo locks destroy bgs, rbgs, and arenas. It's all about knowing how to play the spec well.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Monks are fine, L2P.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Ugh monks, why did they add them.. they are just another barrel of unfun mechanics thrown into an already disgustingly clunky pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I can honestly say, as someone who PVPS with a regular partner for the last three seasons he now plays a monk.

They are so broken. It's frustrating. What's even more frustrating is playing another WW monk team, because we know between the broken hit box, non-compelling damage, and other little lackluster items we're just going to time out.

We STRUGGLE to hit 1500. Most seasons we sit in the 1750-1850 range without trying.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
They've got a few problems but they're not bad. I think people just don't want to take the time to learn the class.

Also.. I really don't understand why all these monks keep saying it takes too much time to do damage as a ww. I do ridiculous damage without anything up.
Edited by Smoove on 3/30/2013 7:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
monks are kind of weak, but geez theyre annoying lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Idk if yall do crack but ww monks !@#$ my world up in arena with all the aoe cc...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]