I just can't get into MOP lore.

90 Worgen Warlock
It's not really a complaint, more of an observation. I started in BC, and remember being into the lore. "Demons are invading the world, as a warlock, I enslave demons, I do not get slain by them. I will stop them!"
The same sort of thing in wrath. "The king of the undead threatens to kill everyone and turn them into his undead slaves! I will fight for my freedom!" as well as Yogg. "Another of the old gods, one of the purest forms of evil of this world surfaces and must be slain!"
It started to falter slightly in Cata up until the actual fight with Deathwing. I was excited to kill the dragon that had a burning hatred for the world, but not so much his followers.
In MOP, I really just can't get into it. The sha I can SLIGHTLY get behind, since they are the essence of another old god. The horde alliance conflict is also something I enjoy seeing as that's the basics of WOW in general. But the thunder king, I really cannot force myself to care about. It's just sort of a generic boss feel for me. I don't really feel he is connected to the WOW lore. Other patch bosses tend to be linked somewhat to lore but the thunder king is just sort of there.

What are your opinions? Agree? Disagree? Why?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
You missed a lot about Lei Shen. He's been pushed as a upcoming bad guy since MoP launched. Did you even do Kun Lai? The later majority of the quests kind of focused on his return plus he was actually revived there and he's pretty much mentioned in all zones. Not to mention being referenced to by the Pandaren constantly.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
If you haven't already, check out the Thunder King's wiki page and the Patch 5.2 trailer.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Lei_Shen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q51B6M70QBs
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Lei Shen is one of the, if not THE best written villain in Warcraft so far.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
I would agree with you up until the Thunder King patch.
Reply Quote
10 Night Elf Hunter
The Mogu story is very well written. It proves Blizz has capable writers who can write great things when they are passionate about the story. That said it's still hard to "get into" the story mostly because so much is locked up in dailies, and dailies are flooded with dungheap faction war lore that is as compelling as haruspicy of roadkill on a summer day.
Reply Quote
Personally, I'm in love with the pandas and their simplistic life styles.

This might just be my last expansion with WoW, as I'm not so sure I can continue on and leave all the great people behind.

I could retire to Halfhill and live out the rest of my days at my farm, hanging out with Yoon, Lei Lan, Ella, and the Mudclaws.

No more zombies, no more demons, no more cultists, and no more trolls.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I grudgingly do all the panda stuff, and try to ignore the fat morons in the Shado pan, etc.

I eagerly consume all the lore that's given to us for the races I actually care about in 5.1 and 5.3. :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I'm pretty sure the Thunder King and Zandalari conquering the world together is a major threat that needs to be stopped. The Thunder King has been built up the whole expansion, he's not just randomly showing up now.
Reply Quote
Lei-shen would seem more like a threat if the Pandas(Yes they are push overs, no army and they are shown being pushed around all over the continent.) weren't push overs and the Mogu mobs actually were as threating as they are written.

I mean basically it is like blizzard telling us how pit lords are really powerful demons, then throwing them every where in outland allowing us to kill them all the time, Then blizzard says their is this huge pit lord who never lost a fight.

I would be like... ohh a powerful pit lord... ohh joy, not like I fought the lich king, fought a LT of the Burning legion, or fought against 2 old gods. but yeah a pit lord leader sounds threatening.
Edited by Darmonic on 3/21/2013 3:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Lei-shen would seem more like a threat if the Pandas(Yes they are push overs, no army and they are shown being pushed around all over the continent.) weren't push overs and the Mogu mobs actually were as threating as they are written.

I mean basically it is like blizzard telling us how pit lords are really powerful demons, then throwing them every where in outland allowing us to kill them all the time, Then blizzard says their is this huge pit lord who never lost a fight.

I would be like... ohh a powerful pit lord... ohh joy, not like I fought the lich king, fought a LT of the Burning legion, or fought against 2 old gods. but yeah a pit lord leader sounds threatening.

I mean how many Eredar do we fight in outland?

Their is only one lich king.

Their was only one Deathwing.

Lei-Shen is a mogu with super thunder powers(Doesn't make sense, since thunder is the sound and lighting is the plasma...), and we have beat troll threats countless times.
Edited by Darmonic on 3/21/2013 3:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight

He's also the only one that can really be considered to have "won".

He conquered all of Pandaria and under his iron handed rule forged it into the land it still is today, then died peacefully of old age as the most revered Mogu king of all time.

Resurrection and anything following it is just icing on the cake.

Much like many of the actual Chinese emperors, he wasn't exactly a nice fellow but his accomplishments cannot be overlooked. Hell, the Pandaren still use the buildings and systems made under his reign.
Reply Quote
Then we have to look forward to our end game boss Garrosh, who hasn't really done anything bad and Hasn't really beat anyone, at all.

Garrosh almost died to quilboar, gets almost killed by Varian countless times, Thrall was letting Garrosh win, and the only person he did beat was Carine but he cheated. Sounds pretty threating. ya ya I know he will be powered up but deep down he is just an orc, Yes Arthas was just a human but I doubt Garrosh is going to get buffed up to the lich kings level...
Reply Quote
03/21/2013 03:20 PMPosted by Draxonicar

He's also the only one that can really be considered to have "won".

He conquered all of Pandaria and under his iron handed rule forged it into the land it still is today, then died peacefully of old age as the most revered Mogu king of all time.

Resurrection and anything following it is just icing on the cake.

Much like many of the actual Chinese emperors, he wasn't exactly a nice fellow but his accomplishments cannot be overlooked. Hell, the Pandaren still use the buildings and systems made under his reign.

According to a Pandaren legend, told by Loh-Ki, Lei Shen died after a great battle in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, in which the mogu armies were overcome by brave monks. In his final moments, Lei Shen summoned an otherwordly storm that blanketed the vale for several days. The storm washed the blood of the fallen into Whitepetal Lake, which burned crimson and gave rise to Alani the Stormborn

Did he really?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Then we have to look forward to our end game boss Garrosh, who hasn't really done anything bad and Hasn't really beat anyone, at all.

Garrosh almost died to quilboar, gets almost killed by Varian countless times, Thrall was letting Garrosh win, and the only person he did beat was Carine but he cheated. Sounds pretty threating. ya ya I know he will be powered up but deep down he is just an orc, Yes Arthas was just a human but I doubt Garrosh is going to get buffed up to the lich kings level...
Garrosh Blew up Theramore, something that killed both Alliance and Horde, he turned Jaina into a hardcore Horde hater, he sent assasins to kill Vol'jin, he took a mystical Pandaren artifact which controled the Sha and was going to use it to empower his armies with the Sha, but Anduin managed to stop him, but at the cost of almost dying.
Reply Quote
10 Night Elf Hunter
Had he not *enslaved* the Pandaren, the would loyally pledge their lives to the Mogu in service. It's just a lesson; a foundation based on tyranny, oppression and fear ends the moment said foundation declares they are not afraid any more. That's more or less how the Pandaren rebellion started, and the Alliance does not fear the Horde, no matter how depraved they have been, all its done is pissed them off further. Something Garrosh doesn't seem to get.
Reply Quote

Garrosh Blew up Theramore, something that killed both Alliance and Horde, he turned Jaina into a hardcore Horde hater, he sent assasins to kill Vol'jin, he took a mystical Pandaren artifact which controled the Sha and was going to use it to empower his armies with the Sha, but Anduin managed to stop him, but at the cost of almost dying.

So him alone killed(Wait he couldn't even do that??!) a young boy?

All the other things you listed isn't what he did alone.

Deathwing alone reshaped the world.

The Lich king, destroyed the kingdom of lordaeron, killed countless of lives making them his slaves.

Kil'jaden the deciever created the scourge, he also corrupted the orcs and has caused so many problems from behind the scenes.

The people above did those things alone? Garrosh didn't blow up theramore the blood elves did, he didn't turn Jaina into a horde hater the horde did that, Ohh garrosh sent assassins to kill Vol'jin didn't know that makes him powerful, and he used the sha... So do the mogu who are actually pretty weak seeing how they are all over the continent and we constantly are putting them down.
Edited by Darmonic on 3/21/2013 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/21/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Zulzèn
he sent assasins to kill Vol'jin,

See, considering Vol'jin comits high treason in 4.1, I don't see this as wrong. He was just sorta late on trying to execute him for his crimes.

Everything else is pretty spot on.
Reply Quote
10 Night Elf Hunter
The Lich king, destroyed the kingdom of lordaeron, killed countless of lives making them his slaves.
No, the scourge did that*
Kil'jaden the deciever created the scourge, he also corrupted the orcs and has caused so many problems from behind the scenes.
No, the Legion did that*

*following your logic with respect to Garrosh...
Reply Quote
03/21/2013 03:50 PMPosted by Suraia
No, the scourge did that*
No, the Legion did that*

*following your logic with respect to Garrosh...

KJ created the Scourge he took Nerzhul ripped his soul apart put it into the armor of the lich king and used Fel/Necrotic magic to create the undead, he disguised himself as an orc Ancestors telling them to kill the draenei?

Arthas killed his father, killed countless people with frostmourne that is why you hear so many souls screaming from inside of it, killed countless elves in quel'thalas, took down the knights of the silver hand, Slaughtered countless mages in Dalaran and Beat illidian in a 1v1.

So no you didn't follow my logic because who has garrosh actually beaten, ohh a twilight drake, yeah I killed one of those to in Dragon soul...
Edited by Darmonic on 3/21/2013 3:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]