I just can't get into MOP lore.

100 Tauren Druid
Lei-Shen is a mogu with super thunder powers(Doesn't make sense, since thunder is the sound and lighting is the plasma...), and we have beat troll threats countless times.

There's actually a Lorewalker story you can find that explains why he's not "the Lightning King". It's actually pretty well justified why he took the title "the Thunder King".

Lorewalker Cho says: The mogu tell a legend about Lei Shen, the Thunder King.
Lorewalker Cho says: It is said that he tore out the very heart of the mogu God. And from that hateful act he gained power over wind and storm.
Lorewalker Cho says: His followers fell to their knees before him. "We will call you 'The Lightning King,'" they said.
Lorewalker Cho says: But Lei Shen did not agree.
Lorewalker Cho says: "Lightning strikes in an instant and is over in a flash," he said.
Lorewalker Cho says: "But thunder. Thunder! Thunder proclaims the coming of the storm."
Lorewalker Cho says: "Thunder quakes the skies long before the lightning strikes, and thunder echoes in the hills long after lightning's power is spent."
Lorewalker Cho says: "It is thunder that sends animals cowering and fills the hearts of peasants with dread. Let thunder be my hearald, so that my power is felt throughout the land."
Lorewalker Cho says: "I will be... The Thunder King."
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Did he really?

Yes, that was retconned. Word of God says Lei Shen died of Old Age.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
That may not even be a retcon. That version of events comes from a story, told in-character, about a legendary event set in the ancient past. Remember that pandaren were forbidden to read or write while the mogu ruled, which means this tale would have been verbally passed down, from one generation to the next, for thousands of years. Historical details were bound to be muddled over time.
Reply Quote
Arthas, Deathwing and Kiljaden never almost died to quilboars.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
he sent assasins to kill Vol'jin,

See, considering Vol'jin comits high treason in 4.1, I don't see this as wrong. He was just sorta late on trying to execute him for his crimes.
And by "high treason" you mean what, getting his enemies to kill his other enemies?

I swear, some people on this board have the most insanely liberal definitions of treason I've ever seen.
Edited by Vegdrasil on 3/21/2013 6:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Pretty sure giving over funds and combat gear to the enemy is high treason.

Just look at cases of Olvier North, except Vol'jin doesn't have Fawn Hall to shred the evidence.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
03/21/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Seebach
Pretty sure giving over funds and combat gear to the enemy is high treason.
Are you seriously saying he should be killed for treason because he was a freaking questgiver? Clearly, my previous statement is even more true than I'd realized at the time.

Just look at cases of Olvier North, except Vol'jin doesn't have Fawn Hall to shred the evidence.
Oliver North was tried for many things, but treason was never one of them.
Edited by Vegdrasil on 3/21/2013 7:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Are you seriously saying he should be killed for treason because he was a freaking questgiver? Clearly, my previous statement is even more true than I'd realized at the time.

Is he not a member of the horde who swore the blood oath to the horde?

Is he not aiding his enemies, his warchief's enemies, the horde's enemies?

Questgiver or no, the fact remains that he raided Zul'gurub and Zul'aman and did so with the help of Horde and Alliance.

Again, Garrosh was just late to sentencing him.

Oliver North was tried for many things, but treason was never one of them.

Gee, I wonder why that actually was...
Edited by Seebach on 3/21/2013 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I agree with you OP, he just isn't threatening. I really liked the pit lord analogy. This "thunder king" doesn't seem to have any weight or power to him that we should be afraid of. Oh my god he took over a continent nobody cared about for thousands of years. All major bad guys before this expansion took over continentS or whole !@#$%^- worlds (see: the burning legion, Arthas, deathwing even owned deepholm and a piece of outland at one point).
Reply Quote
I agree with you OP, he just isn't threatening. I really liked the pit lord analogy. This "thunder king" doesn't seem to have any weight or power to him that we should be afraid of. Oh my god he took over a continent nobody cared about for thousands of years. All major bad guys before this expansion took over continentS or whole !@#$%^- worlds (see: the burning legion, Arthas, deathwing even owned deepholm and a piece of outland at one point).

Exaclty he became the owner of a land that was owned by weak races.

Jinyu, Hozen and Pandaren are all weak... I mean all the questing in Pandaria you are helping the pandas because they lost their ale or are being attacked by something...

Jinyu have been pushed into 1 tribe left, and Hozen are ook flooking ook dooks.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
Exaclty he became the owner of a land that was owned by weak races.

Jinyu, Hozen and Pandaren are all weak... I mean all the questing in Pandaria you are helping the pandas because they lost their ale or are being attacked by something...

Jinyu have been pushed into 1 tribe left, and Hozen are ook flooking ook dooks.

The people of the Warcraft universe are freaking stupid. That is a fact of life. In the Alliance people are so spoiled and stupid that they don't hunt when they are starving and they dread actually doing it. They can't be bothered to go out and deal with a threat when they obviously have the man power and resources to do so. The Horde is no better. Stupidity is apparently replaced commonsense. No doubt something the Titians intended with their out of control experiment lab.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
What has Garrosh done wrong?

Well, his henchmen go around taking out anyone in the horde who speaks out against Garrosh. Hes done nothing to stop this.

He has basicly held his own allies people hostage. He knows this and so does Baine and Vol'jin.

Hes experimented with extremely dangerous magic which has cause alot of harm. Hes openly ignored warnings from experts, including the shamans that make up his races spiritual body. He almost casually throws away the lives of his people in the hunt for that power.

And he is a rude !@#.

Thats just Horde reasons not to like him. The Alliance has a much bigger list. However its the experiment one that will probably be the most urgent reason both sides need to take him down. Hes screwing with some seriously bad mojo and Andiun's actions only set him back. His investment into Dark Shamanism was well along long before MoP started.

With Lei Shen we are fighting one of the Titan's armies, wealding titan technology and lead by a mogu with the power of a titanic watcher. There allies are the oldest civilisation we know of native to Azeroth weilding very powerful primal magic.

Id say Lei Shen is a serious enemy.
Edited by Trook on 3/21/2013 11:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Lei Shen feels like filler to me.
Edited by Kanetsugu on 3/22/2013 5:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I love MoP lore. Prior to MoP, all I knew of Pandaria was it was a continent whose location was kept secret and which was home to a bunch of pandas mucking around in bamboo houses. I really like how Blizzard fleshed it out with all the other races and the lore behind them; I also like how they provided lore rationale for the oriental themes in MoP, like martial arts, the philosophy of inner peace and living life to the fullest, and the great wall.

As for the perception that the Thunder King and Garrosh are not imposing-enough villains: I'm fine with them not being on the level of Arthas, Kil'jaeden or Deathwing. I don't feel that every bad guy in WoW has to be this great world-threatening entity. And if this were the case, it would get pretty stale quickly; we would also end up just comparing "power levels" of the big bads, which is something already being done in this thread.
MoP focuses on the evils of Pandaria and on the conflict between the Alliance and the Horde. Having Lei Shen (Pandaria) and Garrosh (Alliance-Horde conflict) as end bosses is appropriate.
Edited by Treegrower on 3/22/2013 6:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
I find myself feelings the same way. At least with deathwing I still felt something. With leo shen? Nothing. And I been so sick of dailies that other theb unlocking lions landing I haven't done much else. Except raid that is...

On a whole I feel like rocky who just went toe to toe with with the russian (arthas deathwing) and now I have to fight tommy gunn out in the streets. I went fro headliner to street brawling. Lei shen is a paper champion.
Edited by Crappytank on 3/22/2013 9:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/22/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Chong

How?

Leading up to 5.2, bits of his lore could be found all across Pandaria. It's not like they weren't building up to him.

Yeah I actually want to hear this too.

Lei Shen was the ORIGINAL monster on Pandaria, long after the Titans destroyed Yha'saarj, and even before the Sha were an actual thing, the Emperor of Thunder and his dynasty boomed across all of Pandaria, and it was only until after he had died did things start to look up for the Pandaren, and were they able to fight back the mogu and break free of their bondage.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock

I agree, and I will explain why:

Yes, he ruled over Pandaria but in the World of Warcraft that we know of for that last what..7 years or whatever(longer if you count all the way back to WC) no one cared.

Pandaria didn't exist to us.

The Thunder King never branched out to try and take over other continents.

Why would Horde and Alliance players even feel like this is something to connect to? The only connection TTK has to the old world is that he apparently stole some Titan tech and has an enslaved watcher as a heroic bonus boss.

If TTK was so powerful before and never decided to leave Pandaria or attempt to, why would we care if he came back now? If anything let him come back and HE can fight the Sha for awhile, maybe do some of the work for us.

Pandaria as a whole has had little to do, save for Chen, with the Warcraft world as we knew it before MoP. A lot of players just don't care about it, it has nothing to do with the old storylines that we know and that are still not finished.

Personally I find myself wanting to finish the Sha storylines and figure out more about the Old Gods and finish the business with Garrosh than I want to do anything that has to do with Pandarian storylines. The shieldwall stuff just like dropped off the face of the planet basically with only the legendary quests from Wrathion seeming to have any connection to them.
Edited by Greenbomber on 3/22/2013 12:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]