What tips you got for pvp for a retadin
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Read all these have to offer.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2190891421

http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pvp/paladin/retribution
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If someone bursts on you, don't waste your bubble, use your burst on them and stun them, they will be forced to pop any def cds, and also dont waste you trinket until they burst, because once they burst and you use ure burst, then you use ure trinket and there longest stun. Also, don't use your burst for damage, use it for survival, it works much better in the long run.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If someone bursts on you, don't waste your bubble, use your burst on them and stun them, they will be forced to pop any def cds, and also dont waste you trinket until they burst, because once they burst and you use ure burst, then you use ure trinket and there longest stun. Also, don't use your burst for damage, use it for survival, it works much better in the long run.

Wow, you have some real issues with staying on one train of thought.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't try to be a warrior.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Any macros i should use?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not sure about macros yet (I'm still learning, too), but it's good to realize that Ret has a special niche in PvP unique from other plate damage classes. Always keep an eye on your buddies and remember that you have a lot of tools that can save their lives. Your heals as a Ret are still some of the strongest hybrid heals right now, and your Hand spells are incredibly useful (which does make Clemency like the one talent you ever wanna have in its tier unless you know you'll be needed to shut down locks/other heavy dot classes, where Hand of Purity would be asked for, but that's really only when your buds are heavily organized).
Reply Quote
Reroll.

If you don't want to do that, here are some tips assuming 3v3:

Have plenty of /cast [target=namegoeshere] Spell macros. Replace the namegoeshere bit with a player's name (or focus, targettarget, party1-2, whatever gets your juices flowing) and replace the spell with something like Hand of Sacrifice, Hand of Protection, Hand of Freedom, WoG, Flash of Light, Cleanse (still useful for diseases on your rogue partner or to remove paralytic poison), and other stuff. Here's an example:

/cast [target=Caedwyn] Hand of Freedom

Most of your macros will look like that. Others will be something like /cast [target=focus] Fist of Justice.

Learn to position yourself well. Why's that? It's because you have very few personal defensive abilities (Divine Shield is a 5 min CD, divine protection is quite miniscule for what it gives you). You'll need to communicate with your healer constantly about whether it's safe to attack an enemy or whether you should stay back a bit and support the other DPS with Selfless Healer, HoF, and other things. The pillar is your best friend, use it religiously.

Do NOT play stupidly offensively and expect your healer to support you. Your healer probably will, but if that happens, your healer's stepping away from a pillar, and that means he's open to CCs. You'll only want to do that if you can guarantee a kill.

The only time you want to deviate from this is when you can burst an enemy, or when you have enemies CCd or positioned well enough you can attack them without much punishment.

Play with classes that can peel for you.

Let me repeat this.

Play with classes that can peel for you.

You are quite defenseless by yourself. If you don't have bubble, you typically die in swaps. You must have team-mates that will peel for you immediately. You don't tank damage well, but you can kite well and recover decently with heals.

That's the big-picture stuff.

Random tips:

*Devotion Aura is amazingly versatile. If your healer is stuck in Solar Beam with a root, pop this thing and give him HoF. The healer will be able to cast in ~1-2 seconds and can walk out for the time being. It's good to use it out of stuns, too. Also, it has 20% magic resistance for everyone in your party. If you add this + divine protection (for yourself), or Devotion Aura + Hand of Sacrifice on a team-mate, you just gave someone a lot of magic mitigation.

*HoF doesn't break stuns anymore, but you can still cast it while stunned. You can cast it on yourself or others. It's sometimes a good idea to cast it on yourself at the end of a stun, that way you don't need to spend a global (or 2-3) casting Emancipate on those pesky snares/roots. It's often good just to give it to an ally.

*It's okay to visit a pillar, recover, and support a team-mate with Selfless Healer heals and other stuff. Keep in mind you're not attacking/interrupting something when that happens, and that you can't stay there forever. Practice and learn when it's best not to stay there, and when you should be there.

*Hand of Protection is a piece of !@#$. Do not expect it to save anyone's life by itself. Everyone and their mothers do magic damage, and most classes can remove this piece of %^-* buff. HoP does one important thing, and that's removing physical debuffs. Use it to:

remove physical CCs.
remove necrotics.
remove bleeds if they're that significant (usually not the case. Sometimes a rogue partner REALLY needs the restealth, however).
peel a feral or warrior.
peel a rogue if he's not using shadow blades.

I'm sure I missed something, but you get the idea.

*Hand of Sacrifice is now a defensive dispel. Just a friendly reminder 'cause it's new with 5.2.

I'm sure more paladins will add helpful advice. Good luck playing ret. We're in for a rough season.
Edited by Caedwyn on 3/22/2013 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Get Clique addon = save you some keybinds. I don't pvp much anymore but for example:

Partner need a freedom? I right mouse click their unit frame = done.
Partner need a selfless heal? I middle button mouse click them = done.
etc etc.
Partner need a Wog? I mouse button 4 their unit frame. (I use a razar naga)

In clique you can rebind target and show menu. Example:

In order for me to show unit menu on a player frame I hit alt+left click, because my left click casts a spell on them now.
Reply Quote
15 Worgen Druid
Get Clique addon = save you some keybinds. I don't pvp much anymore but for example:

Partner need a freedom? I right mouse click their unit frame = done.
Partner need a selfless heal? I middle button mouse click them = done.
etc etc.
Partner need a Wog? I mouse button 4 their unit frame. (I use a razar naga)

In clique you can rebind target and show menu. Example:

In order for me to show unit menu on a player frame I hit alt+left click, because my left click casts a spell on them now.

Very nice, I'm gonna check it out now. Any other must-haves?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You'll need to communicate with your healer constantly about whether it's safe to attack an enemy or whether you should stay back a bit and support the other DPS with Selfless Healer, HoF, and other things. The pillar is your best friend, use it religiously.

Do NOT play stupidly offensively and expect your healer to support you. Your healer probably will, but if that happens, your healer's stepping away from a pillar, and that means he's open to CCs. You'll only want to do that if you can guarantee a kill.

wow i wish all my teammates were like you
Edited by Kitteykat on 3/23/2013 10:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Stack resil (or Resil+ Power) Crit > Mastery. Select talents Burden of guilt (Yeah, a 30sec stun is nice, but Burden of Guilt + Long Arm of the Law is awesome) and Sanctified Wrath > Holy Avenger. Longer Wing time + Crit means you damage/heal more and you can do more damage longer. I also recommend Holy Prism, but Execution Sentence with crit means you are doing awesome heals or damage every second, both are acceptable.

As far as play style, use your trinket first, and your bubble as a last resort. Heal often, even if you don't think you need to- it's a perk for being a Paladin and it will keep you alive. Macro your trinket and Wings for extra damage (But not your Guardian)

Just making these changes (to my Talents) in the last few days have REALLY improved my survivability and DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Stack resil (or Resil+ Power) Crit > Mastery. Select talents Burden of guilt (Yeah, a 30sec stun is nice, but Burden of Guilt + Long Arm of the Law is awesome) and Sanctified Wrath > Holy Avenger. Longer Wing time + Crit means you damage/heal more and you can do more damage longer. I also recommend Holy Prism, but Execution Sentence with crit means you are doing awesome heals or damage every second, both are acceptable.

As far as play style, use your trinket first, and your bubble as a last resort. Heal often, even if you don't think you need to- it's a perk for being a Paladin and it will keep you alive. Macro your trinket and Wings for extra damage (But not your Guardian)

Just making these changes (to my Talents) in the last few days have REALLY improved my survivability and DPS.

No one should be taking Sanctified Wrath over Holy Avenger. Execution Sentence is a PvE talent.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Holy avenger only boost Holy damage (and healing) for 18 seconds - wings is a boost to overall attack power and can outlast more CCs - plus you can Spam Hammers. OP, I recommend you try both and see for yourself what works better.

Execution isn't Ideal for PVP only because it can be dispelled, otherwise it's actually a solid move with excellent damage/healing, especially with the possibility to crit. on hits.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Caedwyn's post has a lot of good advice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I didn't realize HoP is that powerful.
I will probably use HoP on myself more often to clear necrotic stacks and bleeds when im jumped by a feral and such.
I didn't know freedom could be used while stunned as well. Is that the only hand spell that can be used while stunned?
Also what classes can remove HoP? I thought it was like Bubble and only removable by priest/war. Is it just simply magically dispelled?

I started playing ret again a month or two ago because I did twos with a really good ret pally on my under geared warrior. That guy didn't lose a match and my war wasn't much help in levelling greens. I was surprised how much he pillar humped and LoS casters etc, just healing himself and laying down the judgements/exo/prisms. It looked like a lot of fun playing like a melee caster so I levelled one of my pallys to 90 and I'm having a blast.

They may not be wanted in RBGs but they are great in randoms, duels/WPVP and for soloing twos for points.

Vanguards should have some tips like Caedwyn had in his post. I've done a lot of ret pvp guide research and I didn't know a lot of what Caedwyn suggested.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I didn't know freedom could be used while stunned as well. Is that the only hand spell that can be used while stunned?

hand of purity (lol) can be cast while stunned. HoP can break physical stuns on oneself or be cast on another player (or oneself) while intimidating shouted. so a warrior fears you and is beating on a squishy ally of yours -- you can break the fear on yourself or HoP said ally and just sit the fear. hell, you can HoP both of you with clemency =P

unfortunately i can't recall if HoP can be cast on teammates while cc'd by any physical effect... for some reason i think not, but one would think if it works with warrior fear it should work with everything. it's hard to keep track of sh!t in this game because often it's not logical and it randomly changes. for example, freedom used be castable while cycloned, but not anymore. divine sac (before it was removed from the game) was inexplicably castable while hexed. etc
Edited by Hafleur on 3/24/2013 3:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well that is good news about HoP breaking stuns and being cast able while feared:)
Reply Quote
More tips:

*DK interrupts are magical. They go through HoP. HoP + Aura Mastery isn't overkill against a DK team.

These classes can dispel HoP:

Priest. (mass dispel and regular dispel magic work.
Shaman.
DK (glyph).
Mage.
Hunter.
Warlock (through a pet I believe, although I haven't seen it this expansion).

Might've missed one.

Anything magical can go through it, including magical physical effects (cyclone, judgment, etc).

Warriors can remove HoP/DS with Shattering Throw. Ferals, if sharing Symbiosis with a warrior, can use Shattering Blow (same thing as the warrior counterpart).

It's worth mentioning again: rogues can counter HoP with shadow blades. It has a 3 minute CD, so your Divine Shield won't always be up for it.

*If playing with a class that gives you a shield (disc priest, MW monk, whatever), it might be a good time to use divine protection for damage mitigation. If you mitigate the damage slapping your shield, you protect your healthpool longer. You may need to save it for when a healer's CCd, or you may really need it when shielded to remain offensive.

*Kite. Ret's arguably the best class for kiting in this game. It's our best and only real defense outside of bubble. If you take FoJ, you can be aggressive by stunning your opponent and doing damage then kiting until FoJ is up again. Your general mobility also means you can abuse pillars well. Note: You probably don't want to kite rogues. They're squishier than you are under normal circumstances (no evasion, no CR, etc). If you need that pillar to recover, it's a different story.

*HoP is a piece of !@#$. I can't highlight this enough. Don't bank on it.
Edited by Caedwyn on 3/24/2013 6:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]