Ret Pvp tips

90 Human Paladin
Those are some great tips, thanks:)
Reply Quote
Bump in hopes of someone posting something constructive and nifty.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
try out eternal flame. a few rets convinced me to try it recently and i'm enjoying it in both random bg's and 3's. lowers your support a bit, but who cares about that in the former and in the latter ret usually gets trained

just don't try to go all holy paladin and HoT your whole team. you gotta be smart with your holy power. i did some napkin math and i think EF maths out to .7% health per sec (after Battle Fatigue, prior to Mortal Strike) -- this is the same as Recup

"but it's dispellable!" haven't been dispelled much, but i play with a druid in 3's. provides a buffer i suppose. i don't use glyph of WoG in random BG's because i love glyph of tv-glyph of DP-glyph of turn evil too much, but i sometimes have room for it in 3's
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/22/2013 11:35 AMPosted by Caedwyn
*Devotion Aura is amazingly versatile. If your healer is stuck in Solar Beam with a root, pop this thing and give him HoF.

i need to test this a couple more times, but i think if you cast Dev Aura after you're already in a solar beam, it makes you immune to the silence. i assume it would work this way on one's healer too

what i'm saying is i'm not sure you even need to freedom your healer, but don't take my word on this. test it for yourself and tell us the result
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,exists] [help] [mod:shift,@Vereth] [mod:ctrl,@Zéph] [@player] Flash of Light

^-- neat teammate macros that turn entire hotkeys into 1-spell wonders. they work great with razer naga or logitech g600 (those mmo mice). for example, press R with a mouseover, casts FoL on mouseover. press R without a mouseover, casts it on myself. shift + R, casts on Vereth. ctrl + R, casts on myself

----

hammer of the righteous applies -10% physical damage to everything it hits for a whopping 30 sec. if you're not worried about damage, just trying to survive or whatever, try using this ability. would you like to deal 10% physical less damage? well a warrior who does pure physical dmg would like it even less! if you hit a warrior, hunter, hunter pet, and stampede all at the same time.. well, that's a lot of reduced damage

----

not really a tip, but FoJ is extremely versatile and you should keep your eyes peeled for the best way to use it in a given situation

----

to expand on what Caed said about how important it is to know when to play defensive as Ret, if you escape to LoS sometimes you should just sit there for a bit. weak teams often flop around for a bit not knowing what to do. good teams might switch to your DPS teammate, but being a ret, there's a good chance they haven't gotten on your teammate all game and that they don't truly intend to kill him

while your teammate blows minor/unimportant defensive CD's, it gives time for your freedom to come back up, for forbearance to tick down. maybe HA/Wings are on 20 sec CD's and you want those down to 10 sec when you dash out

not saying this is always the right thing to do, but keep an eye out for these situations

----

holy avenger is the accepted best tier 75 ret pvp talent. i like it when arena feels organized and i have a pretty good idea how a match will play out, or when i solo queue bg's and want the additional 1v1 power

however, i actually find divine purpose superior in chaotic situations: healbotted in regular bg's, rbg's, long matches in 3v3 (spell cleaves in particular). i appreciate the constant flood of holy power that provides power over a period of time rather than only in burst windows

maybe i just haven't given it a fair shake, but even w/ Wings on a 2 min CD i haven't found a good situation in which to use Sanctified Wrath. i like that HA can be used either separate from or together with Wings. with SW you're locked into one powerful ability, not much versatility
Edited by Hafleur on 3/25/2013 11:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/25/2013 10:55 PMPosted by Hafleur
*Devotion Aura is amazingly versatile. If your healer is stuck in Solar Beam with a root, pop this thing and give him HoF.

i need to test this a couple more times, but i think if you cast Dev Aura after you're already in a solar beam, it makes you immune to the silence. i assume it would work this way on one's healer too

what i'm saying is i'm not sure you even need to freedom your healer, but don't take my word on this. test it for yourself and tell us the result

Yea, it can make you immune. Solar Beam's debuff is constantly applied by pulses, I believe. So the debuff itself doesn't last too long. Think of it sort of like a silence dot ticking per second. Since Devo Aura makes one immune to silence, it takes effect on the next tic. Furthermore, I think it can be activated while in solar beam. Need to test it just to be sure. I usually give HoF anyway to give a healer comfort or choice in that situation. The two don't need to be used in conjunction all the time if the healer's rooted, though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/26/2013 12:23 AMPosted by Caedwyn
Furthermore, I think it can be activated while in solar beam. Need to test it just to be sure.

yes, dev aura can be used while in solar beam. just wasn't sure if my healer is already in the beam and then i pop Dev Aura if the silence goes away. i think it does
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]