Frost DK gear audits

90 Orc Death Knight
I've been around the block a few times with dks (esp frost) and I was interested to know if anyone wanted help with their gearing choices (gems chants or whatever.) I realize that this may sound cocky but I know what I'm doing. If anyone wants any sort of help with gear decisions or just wants to know if there's something they can be doing better, leave a comment.

EDIT: I promise that I will get to everyone eventually. Sometimes it can get backed up, but if I stop doing these I will post and let you know
Edited by Pwnjuice on 4/2/2013 10:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Hey mate -

My trinkets. Would Relic of Xuen work better then Lei Shen's final orders? Neither are upgraded.

I don't want to give up the sexyness of Spark, even though its only LFR :) Cheers!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
although im not pwnjuice, i think spark of the zandalari on LFR is a really bad trinket. due to how long it takes to proc. On average i was getting a stack every 15seconds meaning it takes 2minutes 30 seconds to get a 20 sec proc rather than relic of xuen/lei shens that procs every ~50 seconds.

also as DW str is worth a lot more than haste and mastery as well. (1 str is about 2.1 haste or mastery)

also you have 513 hit over cap, and runic corruption is worse than both runic empowerment and blood tap, if you just want passive playstyle then go RE but if you dont mind extra buttons to push go blood tap.
Edited by Aeirah on 3/21/2013 10:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
also you have 513 hit over cap, and runic corruption is worse than both runic empowerment and blood tap, if you just want passive playstyle then go RE but if you dont mind extra buttons to push go blood tap

I've basically optimized myself through Mr robot - can't do anything about that hit cap unfortunately.

And yep thanks , I totally forgot I had runic corruption up! :S I'll change that when I get home :)
Edited by Kadajj on 3/21/2013 10:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
I'm by no means in end game gear or even LFR gear, but I'm new to frost and I was wondering how reliable the guides are in forums, as well as the guides on icy-veins?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
03/21/2013 10:40 PMPosted by Kadajj
also you have 513 hit over cap, and runic corruption is worse than both runic empowerment and blood tap, if you just want passive playstyle then go RE but if you dont mind extra buttons to push go blood tap

I've basically optimized myself through Mr robot - can't do anything about that hit cap unfortunately.

Really? or are you just too lazy to swap out those hit gems? If Mr robot told you to jump off of a cliff, would you do that too?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I'm by no means in end game gear or even LFR gear, but I'm new to frost and I was wondering how reliable the guides are in forums, as well as the guides on icy-veins?

Very reliable.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I've been around the block a few times with dks (esp frost) and I was interested to know if anyone wanted help with their gearing choices (gems chants or whatever.) I realize that this may sound cocky but I know what I'm doing. If anyone wants any sort of help with gear decisions or just wants to know if there's something they can be doing better, leave a comment

Do me.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Always Looking for a little sumthin'

I switch 'tween UH and Frost, this is DW frost gear for PVP, i also have the 476 2h weap

I have the Relic of Xuen and Lei Shens in my bags FWIW and a 483 ring from golden lotus
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

I switch 'tween UH and Frost, this is DW frost gear for PVP, i also have the 476 2h weap

I have the Relic of Xuen and Lei Shens in my bags FWIW and a 483 ring from golden lotus

Your cloak enchant can use a replacement...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight

Your cloak enchant can use a replacement...

Great, I PVP 98% of the time so which would you recommend? I am Hit and Exp capped for PVP, i do little PVE and what i do is pretty faceroll even in PVP gear.

The only two that might be possible are Greater protection (+200 stam) or Superior Crit (+180 crit). But as secondary stats, i felt that straight PVP power would be better for the particular gamestyle i play.

And Boy, that necklace you have is badazz, i wonder if that would be better for PVP, it has almost 300str more than the one i have, and i would only be saccing 299 PVP power which i can get bback easily re-gemming.

ima have to go pick that up tonight and try it.
Edited by Auroraabeth on 3/22/2013 7:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
@ Kadajj:
The DMF trinket is the way to go. You've gemmed hit onto your weapons but you're also reforging out of hit which doesn't make sense. The best thing to do there would be to break the socket bonus and gem pure str for a net gain of 20 str per wep.

@Dreadling:
The guides you might find on icy-veins or the wow forums are a good start. They certainly won't get you ranked on WoL or similar sites but for anyone who doesn't care too much about min/maxing their character, it's nice. The finer points come with experience and extensive testing. I'm not sure if there's anywhere out there that will tell you that the effective haste cap for a 2h Frost is 80% but it's the truth. In short the guides will make you good, but not great

@Aeirah:
You've also gemmed into hit while reforging out of it at the same time. This doesn't seem practical. You can ignore the socket bonuses on your MH wep and belt to gain better stats.

@Jagatron:
This is a fairly impressive armory, The only thing I'd swap out is the cloak enchant. You've enchanted hit onto your gear but you also reforge out of it quite a bit.

@Auroraabeth: I don't PvP all that often and when I do it's not hardcore. I'm not sure how much I could help you with your gear beyond what an internet guide might say.
Edited by Pwnjuice on 3/25/2013 12:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

@Jagatron:
This is a fairly impressive armory, The only thing I'd swap out is the cloak enchant. You've enchanted hit onto your gear but you also reforge out of it quite a bit.

Thank you :) I was actually thinking about doing that but was wondering about what I would reforge into what afterwards.

Question, for my shoulders and hands, would it be better to ignore the bonus and just go for the 160 str gem on each? Or would the 160 mastery be better than 20 extra strength on each?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
The 160 mastery will far outweigh the 20 str bonus. Your specific weights vary depending on your character's gear and such but as a general rule str is exactly twice as effective as mastery. Once again I can't say this with certainty for your character but gemming mastery/str is almost equal to gemming straight str. There isn't any amount of dps lost by gemming mast/str as opposed to just str and so you get the full benefit of the socket bonus.

In short, keep it the way it is because it will almost always be worth matching a yellow socket
Edited by Pwnjuice on 3/22/2013 11:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Cool, thanks for the input! Made that back enchant change too. All I had to do was take off a reforge from my axe and I'm good to go.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Cool, thanks for the input! Made that back enchant change too. All I had to do was take off a reforge from my axe and I'm good to go.

I think that mastery scales at 2/1 to strength correct?? Do they not make a purple gem that is 80str/160mastery?? I would think that losing 20 net strength would be worth picking up 160 mastery on Shellsplitter with the socket bonus??

you could use an Etched Imperial Amethyst which is 80str/160hit and reforge hit to mastery on the axe. Kinda a back door way to getting the mastery if there is no specific gem for that. Will look redundant, but gets the same thing done.

just a thought, since you are DW like me, Mastery is our friend.
Edited by Auroraabeth on 3/22/2013 12:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
03/22/2013 12:02 PMPosted by Auroraabeth

I think that mastery scales at 2/1 to strength correct?? Do they not make a purple gem that is 80str/160mastery?? I would think that losing 20 net strength would be worth picking up 160 mastery on Shellsplitter with the socket bonus??

you could use an Etched Imperial Amethyst which is 80str/160hit and reforge hit to mastery on the axe. Kinda a back door way to getting the mastery if there is no specific gem for that. Will look redundant, but gets the same thing done.

just a thought, since you are DW like me, Mastery is our friend.

I think I remember seeing somewhere that it was a little less than 2/1. The str/mastery gem is orange. The gem slot on the axe is blue.

My hit is perfect right now dont need anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

1 strength is worth roughly 2 mastery and vice versa.
Mastery/str is an orange gem.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I'm getting back into my DK this season and slowly learning him by doing 2's. Was wondering if anyone would take a look at my gems, enchants and reforges. If anyone could leave some helpful macro's for 2's that would be awesome also. Thanks in advance for any help given.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]