Oondasta Health Nerf

(Locked)

100 Human Paladin
I loved it. Even with 100 ppl death zerging it, it still felt amazing. We prayed, and threw our bodies at him, over and over. And I felt GOOD when he died!

No offense, but you got this experience on Sha for 6 months as well out in Kun Lai.... Oondasta wasn't designed for that.

I question all these people who are claiming they found the Graveyard Zerg epic. I'm glad you had fun and felt you accomplished something, but do you really think this is good design? Really? :( Just because you find zerging Sha and Galleon and Oondasta to be a super epic moment doesn't make it great world boss design.

Anyways, not surprised about this nerf. It was coming. As Omega said over me, I don't know if 50% is going to break the fight sufficiently to let huge, disorganized groups overpower Spiritfire Beam. I wouldn't be surprised to see a damage nerf to that if the health nerf doesn't make the fight easy enough.

A shame, but not a surprise.
100 Troll Hunter
Yes I know a 25 man raiding guild could kill it no problem, but the average quality player has to 100 man it, and some of them seem to enjoy it.

I doubt 25 could do it, they wouldn't have enough DPS before the buff on him got out of control and you'd end up dying to his roar, which is physical damage. This is pre-nerf of course, pretty sure it wouldn't be too bad now with 50% less HP.
90 Blood Elf Mage
This is a pretty decent change because now it's actually targeted at 25M raid groups. The death zerg is funny to watch but not really rewarding gameplay.
i like the new change, this morning only had to do it with maybe 3 40 man groups compared to 6, lot more smoother which i like.
100 Human Paladin
Now, if only we could got world bosses that would just out right come into our cities just to kill us that would be more fun. Oh I miss kazzak being kited into SW (and his replacement for the BC pre-launch)
100 Human Warrior
Ha! our first experience and probably like others included horde groups trying to wipe us. which they easily did. once the beam hit one of them, they could easily take out a large number of us. we even had a separate group of 40 pvp/ers fitted to take out the horde but it only made matters worse once the beam spell was cast on them or any of the horde. we all left feeling it could never be done on our server even if we tried to work according to the mechanics. it was funny when one of the fellows in the group asked what is our strategy for the beams and the response was, what beams? we had two 40 man groups for attacking the boss and the mentioned 3rd group of 40 pvp/ers. and as said we failed after five attempts. oh, also while 2 cross realm server groups were also trying to beat us to the tag. we all left feeling a little less powerful.

then on the following week end and after some research and no hordies to mess with we downed him with 4 forty man teams.. we used the trick of tanking him to the grave yard but thats not what downed him eventually, especially the last 20%.. one tank and several healers working together did it all while the rest of us were being one shotted on each rez. it was very frustrating especially when we had all reached the 2 minute rez penalty as we could only watch as the healers and tank carried us all to an eventual success. man, were we Jubilant. accolades were spread to all which echoed in Stormwind for many hours after.

maybe it was too soon for our server to really do this especially without working with the mechanics but it sure was sweet. oh, and not everyone got loot and or gold. so you can imagine there was some crying also.

so Mr Blizz, sorry your disappointed, but Ha! and thank you Mr tank and his healers. ......
6 Orc Warlock
I wonder what it would have taken for them to realize in advance the very obvious fact that this boss would be zerged, and zerged by groups large enough to crash servers? They should know better than us what the servers can handle, because they run them. They should know better than us what the players may do, because they have all the data on what players actually have done, since the beginning. They were warned on the PTR forums that this would happen, and it apparently wasn't taken seriously.

I just find it odd. And I question the idea that they had no way to know this and will now learn from their mistakes.
Pretty sure there are other bosses which fill that same niche.

There are multiple bosses that fill the casual, normal, and hard core raiders....not sure why one more of any type should get a response like this. Pretty much leaves the game with no design room.
100 Gnome Mage
Downed on Sargeras finally lol
that change to make it spawn more frequently did help.
100 Dwarf Death Knight
that change to make it spawn more frequently did help.

Makes the server crash 4-5 times a week instead of once.
100 Gnome Warlock
Also you famously asserted that "We are prepared for tears", yet at the first sign of tears...

Only it wasn't the tears of players that forced them to nerf the encounter. Server integrity is going to take precedence over any singular experience in game, whether it's items like Ruthers and billy beer or fights like Oondastas, if the servers are crashing then they have to be addressed for the good of everyone else.
I don't get it, out of the millions if not billions that Blizz has made from WoW, you cannot provide your customers with the very BEST hardware out there?

And don't think I'm complaining, because I'm not, I'm just curious (100% honest).

Does blizz already use the very best hardware for servers? and it's still just not enough? that's what I'm asking
100 Troll Shaman
I feel that world bosses aren't the way to go. Blizzard can knock on Wintergrasp-style pinata loot bosses all they want since their tastes have changed, but it won't hide how better WG (minus Tol Barad, which can go DIAF) worked out.

Bring back VoA, in my opinion.
100 Troll Shaman
I don't get it, out of the millions if not billions that Blizz has made from WoW, you cannot provide your customers with the very BEST hardware out there?

And don't think I'm complaining, because I'm not, I'm just curious (100% honest).

Does blizz already use the very best hardware for servers? and it's still just not enough? that's what I'm asking

As mentioned by Crithto, server hardware has come a long way since the says of AQ. But having the absolute best of the best? I doubt it. It probably wouldn't make a whole lot of financial sense to upgrade every year.

Probably more like how a public school district generally has a policy of replacing textbooks every 7 years or so, although in reality it's typically closer to 12. (Not saying that's how long Blizzard waits - just trying to make a basic comparison.)
Edited by Alayea on 3/22/2013 2:32 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Now, if only we could got world bosses that would just out right come into our cities just to kill us that would be more fun. Oh I miss kazzak being kited into SW (and his replacement for the BC pre-launch)

Yeah Kraul event was good, so was zombie.. more zombies
MORE

BRING BACK ZOMBIES
100 Dwarf Death Knight
The design intent behind this boss was for the primary audience to be guilds rather than pickup groups.

Then it should have been designed to tap to the first raid group to engage him, and only to that raid group, instead of tap to faction. That would fix these problems quite effectively.

Also if it was aimed at elite guilds it probably should have dropped something a bit better than 522 ilevel loot.
Edited by Murdina on 3/22/2013 2:36 PM PDT
100 Troll Shaman
03/22/2013 02:31 PMPosted by Murdina
The design intent behind this boss was for the primary audience to be guilds rather than pickup groups.

Then it should have been designed to tap to the first raid group to engage him, and only to that raid group, instead of tap to faction. That would fix these problems quite effectively.

But then realms like mine would get stuck with one guild hogging the loot.
100 Dwarf Death Knight
But then realms like mine would get stuck with one guild hogging the loot.

But it was supposed to be for fairly skilled guilds to take down with skill and tactics, not a free-for-all for multiple guilds to zerg down.

Perhaps a boss like this simply doesn't work as a world boss. It needs to be inside an instance.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]