Oondasta Health Nerf

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Shaman
Your naivete is touching. But same faction would be almost as likely to chain the beams as opposite faction. Either on purpose (plenty of sociopathic players enjoy this sort of thing). Or accidentally out of eagerness to tap the boss, or just trying to help out. And if they are not in your raid group its hard to communicate to tell them to stay out of the way.

I said intentionally. I realize that there are plenty of less skilled players, and players who simply don't care. Yes, there are griefers, there will always be. But who is more likely to grief: the guy on the opposing faction who has to wait till the next spawn if your group succeeds? Or the guy on the same faction who simply has to hit Oondasta once and basically get free loot, whether he dies or lives?

People are always much less likely to try to screw themselves over. It's not naivete, it's simple logic.
90 Undead Priest
Doubt a blue will read my post but can i just say that oondasta is by far the most amount of fun i have had in a long time the amount of deaths the absolute mayham and carnage me and mates had so many laughs on skype about this thanks blizzard for this awesome world boss.
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/22/2013 07:03 PMPosted by Garofalo
Your naivete is touching. But same faction would be almost as likely to chain the beams as opposite faction. Either on purpose (plenty of sociopathic players enjoy this sort of thing). Or accidentally out of eagerness to tap the boss, or just trying to help out. And if they are not in your raid group its hard to communicate to tell them to stay out of the way.

I said intentionally. I realize that there are plenty of less skilled players, and players who simply don't care. Yes, there are griefers, there will always be. But who is more likely to grief: the guy on the opposing faction who has to wait till the next spawn if your group succeeds? Or the guy on the same faction who simply has to hit Oondasta once and basically get free loot, whether he dies or lives?

People are always much less likely to try to screw themselves over. It's not naivete, it's simple logic.

The guy who did oondasta earlier in the week on the same faction. See LFR.
90 Blood Elf Priest
It was pretty cool seeing how many people showed up for our server's first Horde-side attempt at Oondasta. Got some decent screenshots of the pre-pull chaos and screenshots of skeletons... so many skeletons...
90 Worgen Mage
5.3 Oondasta change:

Spitfire Beam no longer increases in damage with each jump, deals a flat 200,000 damage(up from 150,000 damage), and jumps to 99 targets (up from 20 targets).
90 Blood Elf Paladin
got my achieve the encounter meh repair bills sure not worth whats on the loot table. not blizz's intention for multiple raid groups to zerg why would you bother with the faction tags...real reason they nerfed him because majority of servers are dead
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It was fun to have 3+ raids to kill him, that was fun while it lasted... Well it was nice that we had a hard boss to fight for once. Knew it wasn't going to last long. I mean i understand the problems he has caused but at least keep his health larger and weak some of his attacks by 20% or something. After all oondasta was meant to bring tears.
90 Draenei Priest
Kinda sad. It really WAS epic to get all the alliance on our server together to kill him. Ah well, at least I got 2 in before the change.

And yea, I am glad they changed it, ultimately. We so would have lost half the servers interest in another week.
90 Pandaren Shaman
03/22/2013 07:27 PMPosted by Arianity

What's your point? I agreed that there will always be griefers. But opposing faction is more likely to try to grief, so those are the ones we should focus on stopping and the ones that are easiest to stop if the boss mechanics are tuned this way.
90 Blood Elf Priest

What's your point? I agreed that there will always be griefers. But opposing faction is more likely to try to grief, so those are the ones we should focus on stopping and the ones that are easiest to stop if the boss mechanics are tuned this way.

My point was that same faction are more willing to grief, because people looking just to piss people off will migrate towards areas of the game where they can do it safely.

Yes, people gank etc, but lfr griefing is pretty popular, because it's extremely hard for anyone to actually do anything. And you get to wipe what, 100 people at a time, vs 1? It's the same reason LFR griefing got more popular.
90 Dwarf Death Knight
When Oondasta is slain, an epic item is mailed to every person on the server
90 Human Death Knight
Why not go Borderlands vault mode, and have an instanced door that opens up now and then, creating a rare spawn of an instance?

When the doors open and the instance "spawns," groups have 30 minutes to enter and clear the place before the doors close again.

Rare + instanced.
90 Undead Monk
Doubt a blue will read my post but can i just say that oondasta is by far the most amount of fun i have had in a long time the amount of deaths the absolute mayham and carnage me and mates had so many laughs on skype about this thanks blizzard for this awesome world boss.

Agreed. Though there was massive lag to the point where Oondasta's damage buff actually dropped off and the entirety of Pandaria went down for a minute, that amazingly thick carpet of skeletons and seeing so many people in one spot fighting a dinosaur was a heck of an experience. These are the stories we'll tell newcomers in the expansions to come.
90 Night Elf Druid
Lead Encounter Designer Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas noticed this thread last night and has these thoughts to share:

Yes, Oondasta's maximum health has been reduced by 50%. The design intent behind this boss was for the primary audience to be guilds rather than pickup groups. That is why we placed Oondasta on a relatively remote island, surrounded by powerful elite dinosaurs that make solo travel in the area a dicey proposition. It's why he has mechanics that will outright kill you without the coordinated use of cooldowns, and careful positioning. It's a very different philosophy than our approach to designing bosses like Sha of Anger or Nalak. Of course, things didn't exactly play out as we envisioned -- as we all know, it was possible to overwhelm Oondasta with sheer numbers. While not intended, that was not entirely negative. There have been some pretty epic experiences on the Isle of Giants in the last couple of weeks. There's something to be said for the sight of a hundred spells and missiles flying through the air at a huge dinosaur.

We could have made a number of changes that would have made this approach entirely impossible: Consider a version of Oondasta with a Spiritfire Beam that could hop to 99 targets instead of 20, and a Doomwalker-style debuff that prevented players who had died during the encounter from re-engaging. Definitely not zergable. But that doesn't mean that people would stop trying, and the result would likely be a boss that no one could kill, and a frustrating experience for most participants. So we didn't do that.

Ultimately, while our server hardware is much, much more powerful than what we had in place during the days of events like the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj years ago, it still has limits. And what we have increasingly been observing was players massing around Oondasta in such great numbers that it brought servers to their knees. As word spreads that Oondasta has spawned, more and more people flock to the Isle of Giants for a piece of the action. Many people have been in Oondasta fights where spells took multiple seconds to cast, and the dinosaur perhaps stopped using its abilities entirely. Players with anything but the very best computers saw nothing but a slideshow. And in extreme cases, the entire continent of Pandaria crashed. That simply isn't an acceptable experience for our players, and so we reduced Oondasta's health, so that smaller groups are more likely to be successful, and he'll likely die before so many players arrive that it degrades the experience for everyone present. If server capacity were limitless, we wouldn't have made any of these changes, but alas that is not the case.

Oondasta clearly did not deliver on our original expectations. We'll apply the lessons learned from this experience to any future world bosses we add.

Then put Oondasta back on a 6 day respawn.

Every 2 hours, with half the HP, and most of his mechanics nerfed into the ground makes him another loot machine.

Oondasta was one of the most exciting things ive seen thus far in MoP. It was absolutely the best watching him destroy raid groups. He felt absolutley impossible to defeat. But he was certainly killable with some coordination. And now he just feels like any ol boss.
Edited by Flinden on 3/23/2013 5:20 AM PDT
90 Draenei Paladin
Oondasta is still nearly impossible on medium population servers (I can't imagine how it is on low population). The problem is that once he reaches 3 or 4 stacks of Growing Fury, his Piercing Roar can literally one-hit 90% of the entire group. I never had a problem with how much health he had, I have a problem with his OP attacks.
90 Pandaren Shaman

My point was that same faction are more willing to grief, because people looking just to piss people off will migrate towards areas of the game where they can do it safely.

Yes, people gank etc, but lfr griefing is pretty popular, because it's extremely hard for anyone to actually do anything. And you get to wipe what, 100 people at a time, vs 1? It's the same reason LFR griefing got more popular.

And yet, I only see an LFR grief maybe one out of every 20+ runs. It's really not as prevalent as some people like to make it seem.

Regardless, I was trying to suggest a way to prevent opposite faction grifeing. Arguing "But that doesn't prevent same-faction griefing!" is irrelevant because that wasn't even my point :P

03/22/2013 11:52 PMPosted by Elbeghast
Oondasta clearly did not deliver on our original expectations. We'll apply the lessons learned from this experience to any future world bosses we add.

Isn't that the same thing Blizzard said about Sha....and then Galleon? Is Blizzard actually learning anything? I really can't tell when they keep making the same mistake over and over again.

You're right. Sha and Galleon were both tuned to be heroic-raid equivalent difficulty and this situation is exactly the same as Oondasta.

:|
Edited by Garofalo on 3/23/2013 12:09 PM PDT
90 Dwarf Death Knight
03/23/2013 12:08 PMPosted by Garofalo
You're right. Sha and Galleon were both tuned to be heroic-raid equivalent difficulty and this situation is exactly the same as Oondasta.

Heroic DS level
90 Draenei Mage
I am amazed at all the complaints.

Blizz, Oondasta was supposed to be like Kazzak or the world dragons, but it didn't work out that way because the mentality of the player base has changed a lot.

You guys would have been better off putting him into an instance Ony style, especially since your island isn't really that remote and the elite dinos aren't that intimidating.

It is pretty obvious any world bosses are going to be zerged especially with shared tagging.

Blizz did what they had to do for server stability. As for those bragging they did it before the nerf, I did also, and I say BIG Effing Deal. I would be more impressed if you had done it as intended by Blizz.

Thanks for the world boss zergfests, Blizz, it is actually fun to group with a ton of people and pew pew.

It really isn't such a terrible thing :)
Edited by Tepiny on 3/23/2013 12:26 PM PDT
90 Troll Hunter
03/23/2013 05:27 AMPosted by Xtrm
The problem is that once he reaches 3 or 4 stacks of Growing Fury, his Piercing Roar can literally one-hit 90% of the entire group.

No it can't. Unless they have extremely low HP.
Edited by Naumu on 3/23/2013 12:44 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]