Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
Warlocks, specifically Affliction Warlocks need some help. Here's the problems:
1. DoT damage is too low. DoTs by themselves need to be a threat for affliction to be viable. When a single rejuv/riptide can completely or almost negate a full row of warlock dots, the system isn't working properly.
2. The shard system cripples Affliction in arenas. Simply put, there's just not a good way to get shards back. Nightfall is too RNG and there isn't a good passive way to get shards back. I feel like shard return should work similarly to ember generation as destro. Soulburn/Haunt can cost a shard, but the rest of the damage you do needs to be constantly regenerating shards instead of RNG granting them every so often.
3. Affliction is too reliant on casts. This is a hard topic to really discuss, because we all know that everyone wants classes to have to cast in arena. However, the current environment kind of doesn't allow that. Every melee class has multiple ways to stop casts, and has multiple gap closers. If you're not constantly casting, you're doing nothing. There needs to be a way to guarantee casts, a better/more effective gap opening mechanic, or more instant stuff (i know..).
4. Passive defense is still poor. Historically, warlocks have been able to soak lots of melee damage. In return, they had some of the best (probably the best) passive mitigation of any caster class. Passive 20% soul link, siphon life, instant death coil + howl + shadowflame on top of fel/demon armor passive DR. Now, soul link is a garbage talent that actually makes you more vulnerable to damage because of cleave effects, siphon life is not good since it depends on corruption (20% of a corruption tick that averages about 2200 damage = 440 heal every 2 seconds), shadowflame gone, you have to choose between howl and coil, etc.
*Edited out the dumb comment about demo/destro
Edited by Whitehat on 3/25/2013 11:51 AM PDT
Some solutions, you ask?
1. Give a glyph or set bonus that increases corruption, agony, and unstable affliction damage against players when all three are applied. The actual amount that the spells need to be buffed would have to be decided by someone smarter and less biased than myself, but I could see as much as double the damage against players being acceptable without being over the top. Of course, this damage would need to not apply to the Malific Grasp version of these DoT ticks. Most people would probably even accept a small nerf to MG against players in return for a buff to DoTs against players. Or, a simpler way to fix it, not involving a glyph, could be to simply increase DoT damage against players by x% and nerf the MG version of the dot ticks against players by y%, so that passive dots hit harder while MG stays the same or gets a little bit lower.
2. I really have no idea how to fix this issue without throwing things off in PvE. Nightfall could probably be reworked so that it is less RNG and more of a passive thing. Like, for every 10 seconds that UA,Corruption, and Agony are active on a target, you gain a soul shard. (Or something to that effect, once again, someone smarter and less biased than me would have to set the specifics to make it work without being over the top).
3. Drain Soul, Drain Life, and MG could potentially work like hunter shots, being unable to be interrupted. Stuns and other CC would still prevent them, and there's still plenty of other stuff to be interrupted, like haunt and fear.
4. Give affliction a passive version of the old soul link, where X% of the damage you take is shared with your pet. The current talent, if taken, would override/replace this effect. Remove glyph of CoEx and make it baseline. Give a version of demonic leap to affliction. Rework the CC talent tree so that we don't have to choose between shadowfury, howl, and coil. One of the three of those should be baseline.
Edited by Whitehat on 3/26/2013 7:16 AM PDT
I think the easiest fix would be to just increase the passive damage reduction that fel armor provides. The only problem i see with that is that in pve warlocks currently require so little heals (soul leech is really good in pve) and the change would only make that worse. From the PvP side of things though warlocks do probably take to much damage from melee classes.
Maybe Change fel armor to reduces damage taken by 10% and melee damage taken by an additional X%, along with its current increases healing taken. This way it doesnt screw up pve to much as aside from a few silly demo locks, warlocks dont normally take melee damage in pve.
Edited by Sollos on 3/22/2013 9:40 AM PDT
1. Dots need to scale much better with PvP power.
2. Haunt should be on a cd not on shard.
3. MG should not be tied strictly to the shadow school, place MG as chaos/shadow, or fire/shadow so a MG lockout doesn't result in being locked out of 95% of our spell pool. The counter argument is shadow mind flay is a full shadow lock out, but shadow priests have multiple ways to inflict burst damage, MG is the only method locks have to "burst."
4. I think more defensive aren't necessary but rather more self sustaining ability is needed. Health funnel has been a staple of afflic since the dawn of warcraft. I think health funnel should recieve some small buffs as well as reset dot timers like it has in the past. If you combine that with a possible buff to glyph of siphon life (say % of all dots return health) you have a much more viable self sustain which has always been a staple of affliction without giving overly defensive buffs. Also gives a little more versatility in play style instead of dots+spamMG.
Simple fixes that don't require a massive patch overhaul.
Affliction could be better. Destro and Demo are fine, imo.
I actually agree 100%, demo and destro are in good places. Afflic needs work, and the only beef with demo is i'd like to see hard casts hit a little harder. Kinda annoying when i get off a shadowbolt/soul fire and the hit for like 5k more then a fel flame.
Warriors trash Warlocks?
warriors actually destroy warlocks, i don't even think the class is good but it's so easy for a warrior to tunnel a warlock it isn't even funny, ww monk as well, the problem is warlocks are forced to use nearly every defense cd in the opener 9/10 times and then die.
unholy is also retarded vs warlock.
LOL this guy thinks destro sucks
aff is by far a better arena spec than destro, and aff isn't even a good arena spec.
destro is decent at low mmr i guess when people let you cast chaos bolt, but in the real world not so much. chaos bolt crits for like 70k without cds up and 140k with cds, how is that good?
yeah, and they are all used in the opener to survive, it's just too easy to tunnel a warlock and with how life tap works it's almost always the best option.
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.