Help with pulling aggro from heals

65 Night Elf Druid
So, i am new all around. Just started playing the game a couple months ago, and this is my first healer and first toon i have tried anything beyond questing with.

i have noticed that i have been pulling aggro quite often with my heals (to the point where i had one tank say after a wipe "so healer, you gonna keep trying to tank?") i stay out of melee range (unless dragging a mob that is attacking me to the tank)

And when i say pulling aggro, i don't mean gaining the attention of a patrol that spots me because i am the only ranged. i mean they leave the tank and come right at me foaming at the mouth. =/ is there anything that i can do to try and fix this on my end?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
You suffer from a terrible condition known as: Your tanks suck.

No, seriously - you are dealing with really bad tanks.

You should never, EVER, pull threat simply by healing. If you ARE pulling threat because your HoTs are healing, the tank is bad. BAD. Baddie McBaderston. Should be exiled to the 7th level of hell where all bad tanks go.

It's not your fault. There's very little you can do other than try standing directly on the tank and praying that his AoE holds threat off of you. Your tanks need to get a clue.

If you were on my server, I'd tank for you on the monk I'm leveling and show you what I mean.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
If the tank is losing threat when all you are doing is healing then your tank is absolutely terrible. If no one has hit a mob when new ones are aggroed then yes you will get some coming after you since your heals ticked away. But this is nothing a tank should not easily be able to pick up.

From your story you just had an absolutely terrible tank. It happens a lot. Just know that you are in no way at fault.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
For some reason, druid HoTs always seem tempting to mobs. Add to that a tank who, as Tiriel says, is terrible and crappy, and there you go. Not your fault at all.

Nest time look at the tank's buffs. Sometimes DK tanks aren't Blood Presence, and sometimes pally tanks don't have righteous fury on. Other times, the tank is just terrible, doesn't know how to taunt, doesn't know how to AoE, etc.
Edited by Taymage on 3/22/2013 10:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
65 Night Elf Druid
Ok, thank you everyone (and yes strictly healing - no attacks at all since i am going crazy trying to keep the tank up). i guess this is what i get from LFD. lol Just wasn't sure if i was missing something, since at my level my spells are limited. :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Ok, thank you everyone (and yes strictly healing - no attacks at all since i am going crazy trying to keep the tank up). i guess this is what i get from LFD. lol Just wasn't sure if i was missing something, since at my level my spells are limited. :)

At your level all you should have to do to keep the tank alive is either a full stack of Lifebloom or just a Rejuv. Tanks have things, even at your level, to keep their health fairly stable. But a lot of them don't know how to use those things, and thus...yes.

But in truth, if all you are doing is healing, and you pull threat, that is a tanking fail. The only thing you MIGHT be able to do is Shadowmeld every 2 minutes and pray the tank hits the mob that was chewing on you before you have to come out and heal him again.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Tanks fault...however, be careful with throwing hots and heals in general...but hots specifially from a druid will cause healing agro as tank is movin in on mobs.

A tank that knows what he is doing should be able to pick them off of you.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Mmm. HoTs, like all healing, only generate threat when they actually heal. If they're just ticking on a tank and he hasn't taken any damage, you generate no threat. If the tank is taking damage and you pull threat with HoTs? It likely means he hasn't touched the mob that's trying to eat you, which is fairly inexcusable considering the AoE abilities every tank has at this point.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Paladin
You suffer from a terrible condition known as: Your tanks suck.

No, seriously - you are dealing with really bad tanks.

You should never, EVER, pull threat simply by healing. If you ARE pulling threat because your HoTs are healing, the tank is bad. BAD. Baddie McBaderston. Should be exiled to the 7th level of hell where all bad tanks go.

It's not your fault. There's very little you can do other than try standing directly on the tank and praying that his AoE holds threat off of you. Your tanks need to get a clue.

If you were on my server, I'd tank for you on the monk I'm leveling and show you what I mean.

Not necessarily. You could be dealing with dps starting to aoe during the pull and the druids hots then pull aggro. It isn't always just, "Your tanks suck". It is the frustrations of leveling tanks now. People just want to "Go! Go! Go!"

Mmm. HoTs, like all healing, only generate threat when they actually heal. If they're just ticking on a tank and he hasn't taken any damage, you generate no threat. If the tank is taking damage and you pull threat with HoTs? It likely means he hasn't touched the mob that's trying to eat you, which is fairly inexcusable considering the AoE abilities every tank has at this point.

Yea I'm going to say no on that. Shields and hots can pull aggro if done on pull.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Omen ftw... let the tank get initial threat and stabilize, he should be smart enough to use a cool down if he has to kite the add/boss before he'll be able to get healed. Or simply advise him to revise his strategy, we had this problem on horridon at first, our disc would put a shield on him and he'd mount and run up and hit him w/ his shield(pally), and start running back, the shield drew instant threat as soon as he started moving. We revised our strategy to just walk him back allowing us not only to put some dps on him, but also to not let threat go all over the place.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/22/2013 01:44 PMPosted by Xinyc

Yea I'm going to say no on that. Shields and hots can pull aggro if done on pull.

Unfortunately you are incorrect. What's more, if you cast Power Word: Shield on the tank and he takes damage, it generates no threat towards you. HoTs do not generate threat until they heal actual damage. They can tick forever on someone as long as they're not taking damage, and generate 0 threat. It has been this way since at least BC.

If a healer is "ripping threat off" a tank, the tank is not doing something correctly, or the DPS are pulling before the tank does (and thus the tank has no threat). You can rip threat off a DPS fairly easily as a healer.

Omen ftw... let the tank get initial threat and stabilize, he should be smart enough to use a cool down if he has to kite the add/boss before he'll be able to get healed. Or simply advise him to revise his strategy, we had this problem on horridon at first, our disc would put a shield on him and he'd mount and run up and hit him w/ his shield(pally), and start running back, the shield drew instant threat as soon as he started moving. We revised our strategy to just walk him back allowing us not only to put some dps on him, but also to not let threat go all over the place.

I've never had a tank lose threat to me due to a Shield on him. In fact, the bar doesn't even turn yellow. Your Disc Priest either had something else on the tank, or cast another spell (probably a shield) AFTER the encounter started.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Unfortunately you are incorrect. What's more, if you cast Power Word: Shield on the tank and he takes damage, it generates no threat towards you. HoTs do not generate threat until they heal actual damage. They can tick forever on someone as long as they're not taking damage, and generate 0 threat. It has been this way since at least BC.

If a healer is "ripping threat off" a tank, the tank is not doing something correctly, or the DPS are pulling before the tank does (and thus the tank has no threat). You can rip threat off a DPS fairly easily as a healer.

Are you sure about the shields? I occasionally had some trouble where if I preshielded our tank on Wind Lord and it broke on the pull, all the adds would run after me if he hadn't already started his AoE rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Are you sure about the shields? I occasionally had some trouble where if I preshielded our tank on Wind Lord and it broke on the pull, all the adds would run after me if he hadn't already started his AoE rotation.

Yep. I always pre-shielded our tanks on Wind Lord, and never got threat until I cast other spells once combat had begun. Do you normally Shield + ProM? Because that will get you threat. Also, if they are pulled, and you happen to be closer to them than the tank is and there is no MD, you can get proximity threat because the tank hasn't touched them.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
He may have put a PoM on him, not sure though but i'll take your work on the shield as I have no evidence to accurately refute it.
Edited by Jaike on 3/22/2013 6:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
He may have put a PoM on him, not sure though but i'll take your work on the shield as I have no evidence to accurately refute it.

Don't forget that if you cast any other spells once combat has begun, it can get their attention.
Reply Quote
65 Night Elf Druid

At your level all you should have to do to keep the tank alive is either a full stack of Lifebloom or just a Rejuv. Tanks have things, even at your level, to keep their health fairly stable. But a lot of them don't know how to use those things, and thus...yes.

But in truth, if all you are doing is healing, and you pull threat, that is a tanking fail. The only thing you MIGHT be able to do is Shadowmeld every 2 minutes and pray the tank hits the mob that was chewing on you before you have to come out and heal him again.

You would think... but i seem to be getting a fair amount (of tanks) in int gear. >.< So i am having to have full LB/Rejuv/Swift mend all running constantly and still needing to top with nourish at times. Happened earlier with all that... and the tank still ate it. *sigh*

As for the people saying DPS causing the early pull... its possible... but these are fights that have some time into them. Not right off the bat that i am pulling the aggro. if it happens at the start, i shrug it off. But its in the middle of a fight that they come wanting to nom my face off.

And thank you for the shadowmeld tip... i'll have to try that. :)
Edited by Lailina on 3/22/2013 7:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Paladin

I've never had a tank lose threat to me due to a Shield on him. In fact, the bar doesn't even turn yellow. Your Disc Priest either had something else on the tank, or cast another spell (probably a shield) AFTER the encounter started.

Yea can believe what you want, personal experience says otherwise. I am talking about putting it on during the pull, not pre-pull. During the pull. As in not waiting for the tank to finish the pull and stabilize threat. That can and does pull aggro.
Edited by Xinyc on 3/23/2013 6:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
For the discipline priest, he has a lovely button called "fade". If a tank can't get threat up on a raid boss in that time, fire the tank. I remember the last time I pulled healing threat from a tank on a raid boss. It was Ulduar (when threat was a bigger deal) on Hodir. The warrior missed his first three abilities but got hit. I cast some sort of heal on him and had a big frost giant coming at me. I hit fade. The warrior tank ever after said that he wished he could have seen my face. He was sitting there looking at Omen thinking "miss, crap, miss, crap, the dps is coming soon from the frost tombs, oh crap Nzete pulled threat, look she faded".

For the resto druid, you can also start playing a classic healer game called "how low can you let the tank's health go". As a druid with a battle rez, you can probably push the envelop a bit more than someone without a brez.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
You would think... but i seem to be getting a fair amount (of tanks) in int gear. >.<

This is a variant of the "Your tank sucks" syndrome. It is most likely one of the following:
- Your tank may or may not actually be a tank
- Your tank may or may not actually be a tank, but queued up for all the roles they can just to get into a dungeon faster
- Your tank may or may not actually be a tank, but queued up for all the roles they can just to get into a dungeon faster and is now attempting to tank while wearing cloth heirlooms for the bonus EXP
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Yea can believe what you want, personal experience says otherwise. I am talking about putting it on during the pull, not pre-pull. During the pull. As in not waiting for the tank to finish the pull and stabilize threat. That can and does pull aggro.

Casting any spell once combat has started generates aggro. It's not the fact that you cast a shield on the tank and it popped. It's simply because you cast a spell during combat and the tank had not generated enough/any threat on the mobs that are suddenly focusing on you. Against a single target like a boss, it should never be an issue, but on groups of trash that are spread far apart it can easily become a problem unless the tank and healer work together.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]