Here's the thing......

20 Human Warlock
Ok so yes I am new to WoW (just started like 2 weeks ago).....I suck at almost every aspect but it is fun to play so I am going to continue. I have tried a couple of different classes and they were both fun but here is my problem...

I am totally lost at what I can do to get better....I try to use whatever gear that I can find that would improve my stats but nothing ever seems to work. I really like the dungeons but every time I start one all I hear is someone complaining about my DPS. I know it's low but I don't understand how to get it better. So as a solution if anyone here would be kind enough to explain to me how I can play this game and actually get better so I am not just running around lost I would really appreciate it. I would even consider changing race and class if I could just get to a point where I don't feel like I am being steam rolled by everyone else.

Thanks,
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
DPS really shouldn't be anyones concern in low level dungeons. If they are making a big deal about it then you should ignore them.

What character do you want help with? Whichever it is tell us what you're doing and why you think it might be wrong.

As a warlock you'll want to focus on cloth gear with intellect on it. Anything without intellect is pretty useless for you.
Edited by Monmonn on 3/23/2013 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
We all sucked when we first started playing :) don't take it to heart.

To get better well first practice practice practice. Next take the time to learn what stats are best for your class. Example that little warlock REALLY likes intellect but gains no benifit from strength agility dodge parry or spirit.

You can learn more about what each class likes best at some of the fan sites like noxxic.com or icy-veins.com

Next to those that tell you your DPS is too low... at low levels the boss usually dies before warlocks get a chance to ramp up their damage with their dots. There is ZERO reason to complain about DPS at low levels. If the boss dies and you guys live they suck an egg.

In PvP nothing is really balanced until end game. Different classes get their abilities and skills at different times.

TL:DR keep practicing it gets better
Reply Quote
20 Human Warlock
Well I am really liking the Warlock. I went with Demonology because it's the only one I understood. The others were over my head with the description. I would prefer to stick with the Warlock because I am having more fun with it. Don't know if I should rethink the Demonology or not because I don't really know if the others would be better or not.

I've been keeping up on the cloth gear I find and I am doing the Tailoring, First Aid and Enchantment/Disenchantment. As far as the gear I've been trying to keep only the Items that help with intellect, stamina, and critical strike. Does this all seem correct?

As far as what I'm doing wrong it's more of a fear that I am just not doing it right. It seems when I get around someone of the same level they are far superior. It's difficult to catch up when it's been out this long and I am just starting but I am willing to put in the work.

Thanks for your help. :)
Reply Quote
20 Human Warlock
The other big issue with me is that I don't really understand how to put my order of spells and such.... How do you go about finding out what order things should go in....Right now I just find myself leaving them in the order they come up and using only 1,2,3 in that order. lol
Reply Quote
77 Orc Hunter
Warlock Damage Over Time (DOT) spells just don't get to run their full time in low level dungeons before stuff dies. Save them for the dungeon bosses and try to use the one-time damage spells for other mobs even if it takes a bit longer to cast them.

Don't use the Voidwalker in a dungeon, At low levels, stick to the imp or succy.

EDIT: Hold down the Shift key and you can drag spells around and put them wherever you want them.

noxxic.com and icy-veins.com have spell rotations among a lot of other good basic information.
Edited by Nok on 3/23/2013 5:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
03/23/2013 05:23 PMPosted by Allisonm
I would prefer to stick with the Warlock because I am having more fun with it. Don't know if I should rethink the Demonology or not because I don't really know if the others would be better or not.

That's the best reason to stick with a class.

to explain the other specs a bit more

Affliction focuses on their dots. Think of them being all full of curses and such.

Destruction like to set things on fire. Burn baby burn.

And Demonology well you know about them they like to focus a bit more on their minions.

At level 30 you can pick up dual specialization and try out the other specs if you like.

Intellect yes is your primary as a lock. Hit, Crit, and Haste are the other 3 go tos before level 80. After that you can throw in mastery as well. Stamina is nice but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Are the people complaining about your DPS decked out in Heirloom gear? If so they will easily out DPS you. I think that sometimes some seasoned players forget that not everyone has been playing the game for years and has the best of equipment yet, or the experience to playing their character to their highest potiential.

They complain, ignore them. I might say something like "New player, still finding my way here.", but even that isn't needed. You pay your subscription fees, you have as much right to play the game at your level as they do.
Reply Quote
20 Human Warlock
I really couldn't tell you what they are wearing....Usually it's moving so fast I'm just trying to play catch up and not get in the way. Thank you all for the help. I will try to check everything tonight and see how it goes. I really really appreciate the help.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I want to keep stressing the point that DPS really shouldn't be your main concern. Your focus should be on enjoying the game and understanding the game mechanics as well as how your class works.

If you have any questions on that stuff we'll be here to help, but really don't fret about your numbers so much. As long as monsters are dying it really doesn't matter how much damage there is from each individual player.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
~~
Most of the players you run across will probably have at least some Heirloom gear. Heirlooms are items people can buy (and trade to their alternate characters) using higher/top level game currency and these items scale with the player's level. They will almost always be a lot better than what you can get for the level. That's probably at least partially why you feel so weak compared to other players your level.

People that have been around for awhile often forget there are people that are just getting into the game. If someone says something about your DPS, just say something like "I'm new to the game and don't have heirlooms :(". They'll usually just go "Ohhh, bummer". Might even help you out if they're nice.
~~
Reply Quote
59 Human Warlock
Ok so after being stalked by a level 90 that decided it was fun to chase me around I switched to a PvE server and that has helped and I recreated my character and took all of your advice and it has really helped alot. I am doing much better and I don't feel like I am so weak anymore. Thanks alot for all the help.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Have fun, Allison, and one little point of advice for a warlock learning the ropes.

when you get the ability called Create Healthstone, try to keep one on you at all times. its so useful, and doesnt cost you a dime to make. While on that note, try to give them to people in your dungeons. It makes people happier to have others going that extra step to help everyone along.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I didn't read all the posts, but I will just weigh in to put in a plug for the Brady guide. It's a great source of basic help for starting players. You can download an electronic version from the account page if you don't want to shell out for hard copy. But the bound version (available from most booksellers) includes maps of the zones. I found them indispensable when I was just starting out.

Welcome to Azeroth, and hang in there!!!

/wave
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Some people might benefit from buying a guide, but I can attest to the fact that it is perfectly possible, and not that difficulty for a completely new player to learn and enjoy the game without shelling out money to do so. There is plenty of great informatoin available for free.

Wowhead is a great resource, with maps, quest and item info. The comments on each page give great depth to the help that is available there. Also, this forum is great too. And there are plenty of free guides out there for anyone that does a quick google search or simply asks for suggestions here.

I'm not saying that the guide might not have been helpful, Liaeatha, just that the advice "You're new? Go buy a guide." might set up an understanding that purchasing a guide is needed when it really, really isn't.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I didn't read all the posts, but I will just weigh in to put in a plug for the Brady guide. It's a great source of basic help for starting players. You can download an electronic version from the account page if you don't want to shell out for hard copy. But the bound version (available from most booksellers) includes maps of the zones. I found them indispensable when I was just starting out.

Half the stuff in those guides is outdated in the first content patch of the expansion. They're assembled and published during late beta, so some of the guides have weird mentions of things that never made it into the game or mechanics that are completely different than they are now.

Because this is a game that changes so frequently, I cannot recommend that someone use a book guide.

Use the website, this forum, and online resources that change with the game rather than being carved into stone before the game itself is launched.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]