PVE DPS after the 40% bomb buff - Thoughts?

100 Worgen Mage
Now that we've had awhile for the 40% bomb buff to settle in, do you think we're in an appropriate place right now for ToT raiding, or do you think we're still behind in general or on specific encounters? Does a certain spec need any love? Feel free to use your own experiences, logs, or more recent raidbots data to support your claim. Or anything else you feel like sharing. :)
Edited by Digerati on 3/24/2013 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I still feel fire at low gear levels is frustrating, and probably could use addressing. I'm at 497 ilevel in Fire, and on the pulls where I don't get pyro procs the damage is pretty bad.

Frost is solid, I definitely feel competitive and capable on the first couple bosses in ToT, and multi-dotting is a big part of that. I'm not sure that I like multi-dotting as a key aspect of Frost damage, but it's certainly capable
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Ego
I dont see a difference I am still topping some meters.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage

Playing with a bad group, I see.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
I don't like it one bit. Mages are super dependent on NT. They say some mages out there 75% of there damage is NT. I don't want to be a lock. Mages should be 75% dependent on single target attacks Xcept Fire mages.

Mages have had a fundamental change on how they do there damage and that is not good. No matter if we are last or first on the charts Relying on a DoT to do so much of our damage is bad.

i haven't PvE'd since early Cata, but i gotta say that this is very true. mages aren't Spriests or Locks. that's why there's a fire spec so you can be like one of those two classes as far as play style. i don't think frost should've been revamped to be the best in PvE, but the fact that it relies on NT, an arcane spell, to be competitive is beyond terrible. when the best single target spec is arguably the worst DPS spec in the game at the moment, being arcane, something has got to give.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Mage
03/24/2013 06:47 PMPosted by Nav

Or he could be REALLY good.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
03/24/2013 08:18 PMPosted by Winnrie

Or he could be REALLY good.

don't forget that nav could be the bad one in his group.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

he is trolling obviously
Reply Quote
Playing Fire, 512 ilvl (I think I'm logged in my pvp gear?). I feel that Fire is very finicky in terms of fight mechanics. When it comes to straight single target fights like Jin'rok/Durumu, I feel that fire is competitive. Not top necessarily, but up there. I think my biggest frustration, however, is with more AoE centered fights like Horridon. Fire AoE feels horrifically clunky. On top of that, its damage seems lackluster. If there's anything that needs to be looked at, it's this.

The one thing I'm not sure about is this: Blizzard stated they nerfed Living bomb spreading via Inferno Blast because it made LvB required for Fire. Now we're in the -exact- same situation with NT, but without the AoE damage we once had.

I don't think Blizzard's design is correct here. One bomb will always be mathematically best. That's simply a fact in PvE. There are two ways that bomb should be balanced, and they need to choose one: either bomb should be fight dependent, or spec dependent. Give bomb more specialized roles (NT for AoE, LvB for Cleave and FB for single target, for example) or give each spec a spec-specific mechanic that favors the corresponding bomb.

This idea that each bomb should be equally viable is simply unrealistic.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I felt a definite DPS loss when they nerfed spreading LB. The 40% buff does seem to alleviate that somewhat. Still, the "not spreading" part still just feels bad... it's back to tab targeting... which CAN have some bad consequences (like you dot an add in a group that aren't part of the fight but NOW are!
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Bearing in mind that I'm 514 ilvl and competing against a very, very skilled line-up of players...I'm actually doing extremely well now that I've got some gear, and I noticed the first week after the changes that my DPS was up, if only slightly. There are a good few fights in particular I can count on always being on top (Jin'rokh the Breaker, Megaera, Ji-Kun, Durumu the Forgotten, Dark Animus, Iron Qon), barring competition.

I'm not sure anymore how the situation is at lower item levels, but I've seen some mages struggling. I'm starting to believe more and more that all this gear is carrying me...
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Can feel myself catching up as the ilvl goes up. Only 504 still so a bit to go. I'm behind, but by an amount similar to what the sims would imply. I'd like to be a bit stronger, but I know that once gear scaling kicks in I'll be much better off.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
03/25/2013 12:45 AMPosted by Alkesh
The one thing I'm not sure about is this: Blizzard stated they nerfed Living bomb spreading via Inferno Blast because it made LvB required for Fire. Now we're in the -exact- same situation with NT, but without the AoE damage we once had.

I experience severe frustration for this exact reason.

It's just ridiculous.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Frost can be competitive depending on what your role is on any given fight. Mages shouldn't expect to decimate the competition as they did last tier.

Regarding a few posts above about multi dotting, I wouldn't go as far to say I've experienced a MASSIVE dps loss from LvB spread - it simply just takes much more effort now. It takes much more effort and skill to keep up 4-5 NT on targets as well as the 15% Frost bolt/Ice Lance on one mob cleaving off of it with your FoF/BF charges. With proper decision making skills, you can be competitive in this regard. IE. 2 FoF charges, 3 sec left on Frost bolt debuff, NT falling off of 3 targets in under 5 sec - What do I do?
Edited by Singeslayer on 3/25/2013 9:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I'm only 503 Ilvl, and my guild has been through and is now currently working on Lei Shin, and while I have ranked 55th on Prim on 25, its only due to multi dotting while on add control. Its a pain as frost, and even more so as I try arcane this coming weekend.
As for what could, or will be accomplished? I dont know. I do know that my fellow fire mage who is 514 ilvl, is only pushing about 12k more deeps than I am, and that we're being blown away by 514 rogues / locks.
Reply Quote
Frost can be competitive depending on what your role is on any given fight. Mages shouldn't expect to decimate the competition as they did last tier.

Regarding a few posts above about multi dotting, I wouldn't go as far to say I've experienced a MASSIVE dps loss from LvB spread - it simply just takes much more effort now. It takes much more effort and skill to keep up 4-5 NT on targets as well as the 15% Frost bolt/Ice Lance on one mob cleaving off of it with your FoF/BF charges. With proper decision making skills, you can be competitive in this regard. IE. 2 FoF charges, 3 sec left on Frost bolt debuff, NT falling off of 3 targets in under 5 sec - What do I do?

You are not looking at the bigger picture. Of course with 520 gear you can pull ahead and stay more or less competitive. In 5.2 the scaling for all 3 specs is a complete crap and a lot of mages in 500 gear (+/- 5 iLvls) are having extremely difficult time to stay competitive with similarly geared players.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
My thoughts? Mages aren't fun anymore.
Reply Quote
My thoughts? Mages aren't fun anymore

Agree
Edited by Phígment on 3/25/2013 12:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
At crappy alt 480 ilvls I think Frost is only way to go, I tried Arcane because Koreans were rocking ...supposedly. For one Arcane + RoP sucks now, I have to say it. Invoke or nothing. Fire is useless.

Secondly multidotting is... irritating. However if done correctly it does 70% of my DPS =/
NT is pretty insane right now.

Mages are just not fun. Frustrating Fire. Fishing Frost. Arcpainful Arcane. I almost feel like this class needs to be blown up back to Vanilla then reworked to bring the fun back from scratch.

Now I play a Ele Shaman because I just think in PVE they are way more fun but the DPS... oy very lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]