Timer run-down teams.

Honestly, this needs to be addressed. I'm aware of the anonymity aspect of the game and I appreciate it, but since we can't report the other player for cheating (yea, that would get abused anyway), there should be a sped up timer if they run the clock down consistently. Had a guy waste 20 minutes of my time just going back and forth with the timer healing his team doing no damage for the sole purpose I would leave. Even after I killed one of his pets and was at full HP on all of mine.

Faced 3 different teams doing this - naturally, I don't know if it was the same guy switching his team about - but still.
Reply Quote
/bump

I can't be the only one getting these teams.
Reply Quote
And it wasn't even an apocalypse team?

Shameful...
Reply Quote
Inorite?

Can you even deflect an Apocalypse?
Reply Quote
Naw, my posting toons get switched often. Why would I be hiding anything?
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
This is a problem that needs to be addressed but they're also going to have to address the issue of moves that have really long animations like call thunder and cyclone as well. I'm curious as to what solutions beyond a penalty for too many passes there are.

Any suggestions?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you can't kill the opponent's team, or don't want to spend the time to do so, then why queue for pet battles at all? There's nothing wrong or imbalanced about your experience. Hell, the other player wastes just as much time as you.

Just as in Pokemon with stall, balance, hyper offense, etc, certain teams are harder to overcome than others depending on what your own team is. I mean, I could cry about my level 1 pet never hitting or doing enough damage to kill a level 25 pet who keeps healing. Then again, maybe I should use a more offensive level 25 pet to take down the opponents defensive level 25. I might even throw in some strategy or Call Darkness or what have you. You should try to use your brain. :)
Reply Quote
If you can't kill the opponent's team, or don't want to spend the time to do so, then why queue for pet battles at all? There's nothing wrong or imbalanced about your experience. Hell, the other player wastes just as much time as you.

Just as in Pokemon with stall, balance, hyper offense, etc, certain teams are harder to overcome than others depending on what your own team is. I mean, I could cry about my level 1 pet never hitting or doing enough damage to kill a level 25 pet who keeps healing. Then again, maybe I should use a more offensive level 25 pet to take down the opponents defensive level 25. I might even throw in some strategy or Call Darkness or what have you. You should try to use your brain. :)

No no no, I'm not complaining about the comp - just that the player(s) let the timer go to zero for EVERY SINGLE MOVE. There's a few reasons why players do this. If I leave (as I'm guessing many do), they can get that No Time to Heal or Win Streak achievements easily. I call that cheating as they aren't getting the achievements as intended. I should also mention that they guy had a 24 turtle in his team so it's obvious he was leveling a pet and cheating in doing it.

Alona - a simple solution seems to be that if a player lets the timer go to zero twice or three times in a row - speed up their timer.
Edited by Davesaunt on 3/22/2013 11:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock

The OP isn't complaining about stall/heal teams, he's moreso complaining about people who purposely let the timer run out to auto-pass on each turn, which burns up more time in the battle in the hopes the opponent will get frustrated and leave. That's not so much using pet mechanics as it is abusing the game mechanic of timed auto-passes.

Yes, it's an easy win if you want to sit there for 20 minutes, but it doesn't make it right or fun and I could easily see it frustrating new players coming into pet PVP for the first time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The alternative isn't good, though. You need that amount of time to be able to think, decide a next move, or if the doorbell rings, or what have you. Best thing you can do is defeat the player and put them on ignore if possible. Unless there's another solution, but as far as I can see, there isn't, at least without gimping thought process/strategy/doorbell rings etc. More people would probably be frustrated about losing matches that way because a split second went by when they got distracted or what have you. I know I hate when I turn on my computer and I have both Linux and Windows installed. I have 10 seconds to choose Windows rather than Linux, and quite frequently I get distracted for those precious few seconds and I'll boot up the wrong OS.

Conversely, having not enough time could easily frustrate new players as well.
Reply Quote
Grandma - your doorbell shouldn't be my inconvenience. And no - you do not need every timer to run down to zero to think of moves - this isn't chess - it's also much longer than 10 seconds. You have a limited choice of options that shouldn't be that hard to think about in a matter of 3 seconds. You also can't ignore the team as you have no options or knowledge as to who you're up against. Have you tried PvP matches? These are things you learn within minutes of playing - it's not complicated in any form.

Beating a stall team is one thing - but a stall team AND a timer run down team is extremely time consuming - it's a troll team. No one needs to let a timer go to 0 on every turn - it's obvious the player is cheating.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
I dunno, I don't really see anything unreasonable about shortening the pass timer if the person has already auto-passed twice beforehand. Or it should maybe just auto-drop people after 2 turns because it's a sign they're afk. If your doorbell rings and it's your great aunt margaret and you can't return to your computer, you're clearly not going to be able to win the pet battle anyway.

There's a difference between taking a little bit of time to strategize and purposely letting the timer run down so your opponent gets frustrated. There's also the fact that in order for anything to happen, you'd have to auto-pass a couple of times in the first place.

These kinds of stalling tactics have been in game since before the patch and discussed here before. There has to be a solution to it, because like the triple turkey comp it's frustrating people that go up against it. The teams are beatable, but fighting against game mechanics is not the same thing as actually doing the pet battles themselves.
Reply Quote
I should also point out that this person wasn't passing turns - he was healing himself and his team in between rounds. I do not have a problem with stall teams - but letting the timer run down on every move is a form of cheating - pure and simple.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
Yeah, either way it seems like a more creative use of the game mechanics than anything. I wouldn't necessarily call it cheating, though. THey're still beatable just very, very annoying. I do think something should be done about timer stalling. Pet stall teams I don't really care about. It's the combination of the stall teams and the timer stalling that makes this smack of the triple turkey scenario all over again.
Edited by Alona on 3/22/2013 12:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've never faced a triple turkey team - but I can see how that would be annoying. I'm guessing resilience helped that or is that bugged too like the Infinate Whelping's Sleeping Gas?

I wouldn't have issue with this team - I think I can easily beat it. The turkey does little damage.
Edited by Davesaunt on 3/22/2013 12:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
I've never faced a triple turkey team - but I can see how that would be annoying. I'm guessing resilience helped that or is that bugged too like the Infinate Whelping's Sleeping Gas?

I wouldn't have issue with this team - I think I can easily beat it. The turkey does little damage.

Before resilience went into the game the turkeys could spam food coma on their opponents. (It lasted for 2 rounds.) Surrender had a triple turkey comp that he would take into PVP and just constantly spam food coma, swapping the turkeys in and out every turn. This essentially locked the opponent in a perma-sleep mode with their pets and meant they either could forfeit or watch Surrender keep spamming the move at them infinitely.

I'm pretty sure Surrender almost single-handedly got resilience put in the game.

ETA: And I'm not saying that as trying to be negative towards him. We all knew something like resilience needed to be put in but I think it was his action of proving how broken the CC system was that got them to really take notice.
Edited by Alona on 3/22/2013 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Sorry, but some people need the time to think about prediction and mind games that often go on in pet battles. Just because it inconveniences you, doesn't mean the other person is somehow doing something wrong. Someone kills you at PvP. Sure, it inconveniences you, and now you have to spend more time to get back to your body etc. Should we take PvP out of the game? Of course not. And suppose Blizzard does see this as a problem (pet battle timer that is). What number would they pick from? Clearly they chose a timer that they felt wasn't long enough to be abused, yet long enough so as to give enough time to think and choose your next action. What is the time that would inconvenience you the least? 5 seconds between moves? 10? Will you come back and complain that someone is using all 10 seconds before choosing their action?

The timer is probably fine where it is. Just because you got 1 person out of a thousand to either purposely abuse it or simply use their time wisely to choose a move, that's life. We are all inconvenienced at some time or another. That doesn't make it abuse. Just move on. :)
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
Eh? It's not 1 person out of a thousand. This isn't the first time it's been complained about here.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Something like 10 million people play WoW. Of those 10 million...a couple (?) million do pet battles, and of those couple million, a couple hundred thousand do pet pvp battles. Of those that do pet battles, I'd wager less than 5% use this "tactic". All of these are just rough guesstimates. I don't have the information. In any case, though, it's not some widespread issue. I'll revamp my guesstimate to 1 in 500 if that makes a bit more sense.
Edited by Grandmamama on 3/22/2013 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]