Timer run-down teams.

90 Troll Druid
Sorry, but some people need the time to think about prediction and mind games that often go on in pet battles. Just because it inconveniences you, doesn't mean the other person is somehow doing something wrong. Someone kills you at PvP. Sure, it inconveniences you, and now you have to spend more time to get back to your body etc. Should we take PvP out of the game? Of course not. And suppose Blizzard does see this as a problem (pet battle timer that is). What number would they pick from? Clearly they chose a timer that they felt wasn't long enough to be abused, yet long enough so as to give enough time to think and choose your next action. What is the time that would inconvenience you the least? 5 seconds between moves? 10? Will you come back and complain that someone is using all 10 seconds before choosing their action?

The timer is probably fine where it is. Just because you got 1 person out of a thousand to either purposely abuse it or simply use their time wisely to choose a move, that's life. We are all inconvenienced at some time or another. That doesn't make it abuse. Just move on. :)

If a person has let the timer run out multiple turns in a row they are either afk or attempting to grief their opponent into leaving.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
03/22/2013 03:17 PMPosted by Grandmamama
Sorry, but some people need the time to think about prediction and mind games that often go on in pet battles. Just because it inconveniences you, doesn't mean the other person is somehow doing something wrong.

Did you somehow miss the point of the complaint? It's not that the person was going down to the last second and then attacking, the only action the person was taking was to heal. The person's entire strategy was 'heal pets, annoy opponent until they forfeit, chuckle at my cheesy win'.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Yeah this has happened to me three times now since I just started pet battling tonight. I was extremely stubborn by not leaving and eventually killing them all, but it's still ridiculous. It's easily wasted 30 minutes of my time on dumb people doing it solely to troll and get a forfeit win. I am thinking something easy to fix this would be like a 5-time rule, where if they do it five times in a row or something they automatically forfeit.
Reply Quote
Something like 10 million people play WoW. Of those 10 million...a couple (?) million do pet battles, and of those couple million, a couple hundred thousand do pet pvp battles. Of those that do pet battles, I'd wager less than 5% use this "tactic". All of these are just rough guesstimates. I don't have the information. In any case, though, it's not some widespread issue. I'll revamp my guesstimate to 1 in 500 if that makes a bit more sense.

A guesstimate is just that - a guess...albeit 1 in 500 is a bad one. If I play maybe 15 or 20 games a night and I face 3 separate teams as how I described, your poorly guessed theory is wrong...extremely wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Wasn't me, but if you're using a scumbag team/strategy that involves healing a lot, I'm liable to do the same thing to you just to frustrate you. I'm pretty patient. *pets emerald proto-whelp*
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
There are three potential issues here:

1. Teams built around Lightning Storm/Cyclone/Whirlwind. These teams exploit unusually long animation times to steal time from your timer - the abilities are chosen on the basis of animation time rather than their practical effect.

Solution: Sharply reduce the animation time of such effects.

2. Players who delay on each action until the timer is just about run down. These players simply try to annoy their opponents into losing.

Solution: Implement a 'chess clock' where players a given a maximum amount of time per match as well as maximum amount of time per round. So if you need to take some time to think about a move, you can. But if you're wasting time every single round, you'll eventually time out.

3. Players who have defensively-oriented comps. These comps are built around using healing /shielding/evasion effects to ward off attacks for as long as possible.

Solution: None needed. This is a legitimate strategy. And, frankly, not a particular good one. Defensively-oriented pets rarely have the offense to punish you for swapping out pets, so all you really need to do is bring in one of the many, many pets that can overwhelm any amount of healing they might be able to deploy. Even the best pets can only heal about 400/round (and that's in Sunny weather). Several of the P/P Dragons can relentlessly hammer an opponent for almost 500/round. The Gilnean Crow starts out with 1000+ damage on two rounds (and cripples healing) before settling into a steady 400/round. Etc.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Solution: Implement a 'chess clock' where players a given a maximum amount of time per match as well as maximum amount of time per round. So if you need to take some time to think about a move, you can. But if you're wasting time every single round, you'll eventually time out.

I don't think a fixed total amount of time per match would be a good idea -- some matches may legitimately run to 20+ rounds. Unless the total time was REALLY long, it would still be possible to run it out even if you weren't trying to abuse the timer, which would be bad. (In actual timed chess, don't they use an hour or more per player? I doubt if that would be much of a help from the perspective of someone fed up with an opponent taking the full time every turn.)

Instead, I'd look at making the timer something like 60 seconds, plus 15 seconds per turn, with unused time carrying over from turn to turn. (Slow animations would have to be addressed, though.) So if you use all the time, you don't get as much next turn, but if you're not taking an unreasonable amount of time EVERY turn, you can still stop and think once in a while and you'll never run out completely.

If there's going to be a significant timer, they need to be careful that it doesn't become a serious pressure on people playing normally.

P.S. Lightning Cyclone is a serious strat IMO, it's not just about the animation bugs. Don't let it get caught in collateral damage from players who are just stalling and hoping for a forfeit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I'd say if the timer tuns down 3 times during a battle, hand out a 'deserter' debuff like Dungeons and Battlegrounds get.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
Yeah I think there are a lot of potential options but finding the best one is tenuous. I think we all agree there's nothing wrong with stall teams in general it's just the people who try to grief by repeatedly letting the clock run down are to blame.

The animations for some moves have been causing problems for a long while anyway so maybe this is the time for the long needed cyclone/thunderstorm animation nerf. Note, I just mean the animations, not the spells themselves.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
03/23/2013 08:18 AMPosted by Calonderiel
I don't think a fixed total amount of time per match would be a good idea -- some matches may legitimately run to 20+ rounds. Unless the total time was REALLY long, it would still be possible to run it out even if you weren't trying to abuse the timer, which would be bad. (In actual timed chess, don't they use an hour or more per player? I doubt if that would be much of a help from the perspective of someone fed up with an opponent taking the full time every turn.)

With a chess clock, you're only charged for the time you use. The amount of time your opponent uses doesn't count against you.

I normally choose each action in less than 5 secs. That's a whole lot of actions in 20 minutes worth of time.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
With a chess clock, you're only charged for the time you use. The amount of time your opponent uses doesn't count against you.

True, but in order to actually stop people from ragequitting against stallers (so that they would abandon it as a strategy), the overall timer would have to be *really short*, like 5 minutes per player. Which would make it too short if you ran into an actual defensive strategy that made the battle run 20+ rounds. People just trying to legitimately play would run out of time and that would be worse than the current system.

Also, in chess you can think on your opponent's turn, but in WoW pet battles you really can't much -- you need to see the results of the current turn before you can decide anything. So the fact that your personal clock would stop while your opponent thinks wouldn't be all that useful.

Ultimately, I don't do enough pet PvP to really care one way or the other (read: basically none, I tried it some in beta, but often got very unbalanced matchups and in the rare case where levels were on par, most matches were pretty much decided by metagame issues before turn 1 even began). But speaking only for myself, adding timers that make a substantial difference to gameplay would make me less, not more, likely to take it up in the future.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]