Your most hated healing myths!

100 Blood Elf Priest
ONE
I
'm trialing right now with a heroic 25 man guild. You have to be silly to think that I would be doing anything to inhibit my performance and throughput.

It's always amusing to hear offspec healers come in here and try to tell mainspec healers what they're doing wrong. But ok. :)

Just because its accepted practice currently doesn't make it right. You may not be doing it on purpose, but it (may be) still wrong.

I was watching Affinitii's world first kill of Heroic Twin Consorts. He was doing 118k HPS and still had half his mana pool left when the boss died. That 200k mana represents wasted Spirit. I'm not advocating trying to be OOM at the end of the fight (a cushion is nice) but just as Hamlet's lack of HM kills this tier doesn't make him wrong, top end raiders stacking Spirit doesn't make it right.

The top guilds do fights near perfect and generally require their healers to DPS as much as possible on most, if not all, fights. This isn't the norm for healing, and making those assumptions from them can be foolish.

In such a situation, more spirit may be beneficial to offset the mana cost of DPSing as a healer, if it exists/is significant. I only know of Holy Priest healer dps, which is more or less mana positive, but for the other specs that may not be true.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I was watching Affinitii's world first kill of Heroic Twin Consorts. He was doing 118k HPS and still had half his mana pool left when the boss died. That 200k mana represents wasted Spirit. I'm not advocating trying to be OOM at the end of the fight (a cushion is nice) but just as Hamlet's lack of HM kills this tier doesn't make him wrong, top end raiders stacking Spirit doesn't make it right.

See, the problem with what you just said is that you don't appear to understand that that 200k was there to make sure if anything went wrong, he wasn't going to be high and dry, watching a world first attempt go to pot because he didn't have any mana to deal with someone's screwup.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The top guilds do fights near perfect and generally require their healers to DPS as much as possible on most, if not all, fights. This isn't the norm for healing, and making those assumptions from them can be foolish.

In such a situation, more spirit may be beneficial to offset the mana cost of DPSing as a healer, if it exists/is significant. I only know of Holy Priest healer dps, which is more or less mana positive, but for the other specs that may not be true.

Atonement is fairly mana neutral.

However I do a lot of shielding. Like, a ton.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
ONE

Atonement is fairly mana neutral.

However I do a lot of shielding. Like, a ton.

Which makes me question if atonement is mana neutral or if rapture is covering up the slight mana negativity.

I don't know either way still xd.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Which makes me question if atonement is mana neutral or if rapture is covering up the slight mana negativity.

I don't know either way still xd.

I'll do some napkin math tomorrow at the target dummies. I'm way too sleepy to do it now.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
Have you healed at all... like ever?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
This thread was making me happy until it derailed. So I am going to take it back with the latest myth that has annoyed me.

Disc priests got nerfed SOOO hard in 5.2 Blizz is forcing me to play Holy.

and related

Getting bubbles from crit is THE WORST THING EVER.

This amuses me because I actually switched from a "never surrender my spec" holy priest to disc with 5.2 because disc has so far been much stronger for the damage patterns in 10 man ToT. I also can stand the spec now that it is strong without the mindless spamming of one button over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

This is sort of like the Hunter who comes in and tells you that he does top DPS in his raid as Marksman, or any DPSer who isn't doing their rotation right or using the wrong gems and says their DPS is awesome.

The answer is going to be the same: a personal anecdote proves nothing, and most likely that player could do even BETTER if they changed their playstyle (or changed specs, in the case of the Hunter).

Its fine to be of the opinion that Spirit stacking is optimal. It may be correct. But the burden of proof is on the Spirit stacker just as much as it is on the Int stacker; the argument can't be dismissed by saying "I feel comfortable with this much Spirit".

As he says in the first post, its tough to hear that you could be playing better.

I'm trialing right now with a heroic 25 man guild. You have to be silly to think that I would be doing anything to inhibit my performance and throughput.

It's always amusing to hear offspec healers come in here and try to tell mainspec healers what they're doing wrong. But ok. :)

Wait, you're trialing, therefore, you're balancing your stats correctly? You may well be, but the latter certainly doesn't follow from the former. I would strongly encourage all healers to give Hamlet's posts a thorough read and draw their own conclusions--if you end up disagreeing after actually reading them, fair enough.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Without even calculating this myself, I feel I agree.

There comes a point where being able to put out more heals will not be able to compete with putting out effective and well timed heals. And that's when spirit becomes less useful. For me, having crit/mastery and uh, oh yeah, that haste thing... my heals are powerful, and if well timed, I don't oom frequently. The extra buffer of spirit seems to be more about user error than anything.

Yes, this is part of what he's getting at, I think, healing better IS mana management, but also that more spirit "buys" a limited number (and type) of things, since the regen we have now already supports our core spells.
Edited by Alashe on 3/27/2013 6:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
03/27/2013 01:22 AMPosted by Kangamooster
Have you healed at all... like ever?

Digging through his logs (what few there are, anyway), it doesn't seem like he has!

If he'd actually heal relevant content then he'd probably realize that healer stats aren't nearly as cut-and-dry as DPS stats.

As far as the int vs spirit debate goes, it's really just a playstyle preference.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
As far as the int vs spirit debate goes, it's really just a playstyle preference.

In theory, you could maybe focus so much on spirit that you'd be unable to handle burst (but could keep healing for small amounts forever! Yay?)

I'm not sure you can *actually* do this though since so much int comes automatically from ilvl.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
03/27/2013 06:49 AMPosted by Calonderiel

In theory, you could maybe focus so much on spirit that you'd be unable to handle burst (but could keep healing for small amounts forever! Yay?)

I'm not sure you can *actually* do this though since so much int comes automatically from ilvl.

Well yeah.

Roughly estimating with my gear, I could gain ~800 int at the cost of ~1.6k spirit assuming I only replace my pure blue gems and meta. I'm not really willing to make that trade.

What I'm saying is that although stats gained from gemming are not insignificant, the vast majority of int and spellpower comes from gear rather than gems/enchants.
Edited by Dysrhythmia on 3/27/2013 7:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I love all of the posts about spirit. Interesting indeed (and I cling to mine as I am AGGRESSIVE as hell). Lots of other great myths here too..

For me?
"Why do I need potions or healthstones for? Just shut up and heal."

NOTHING bothers me as much as folks that don't come prepared for everything. Even I carry emergency potions and grab those lock cookies.

And on a side note? I get very bothered by folks that come into LFR and immediately state,
"Banquet please". Learn to cook a-hole.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I love all of the posts about spirit. Interesting indeed (and I cling to mine as I am AGGRESSIVE as hell). Lots of other great myths here too..

For me?
"Why do I need potions or healthstones for? Just shut up and heal."

NOTHING bothers me as much as folks that don't come prepared for everything. Even I carry emergency potions and grab those lock cookies.

And on a side note? I get very bothered by folks that come into LFR and immediately state,
"Banquet please". Learn to cook a-hole.

I'll ask for one, but I know they're expensive, so I almost always nearly whisper the person who dropped it and thank them.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
And on a side note? I get very bothered by folks that come into LFR and immediately state, "Banquet please". Learn to cook a-hole.

YES! Me too! I don't know why it bothers me, but it does, haha. I mean, it's LFR people! If you want to min-max bring your own mats. If someone is generous enough to drop one (which they often are) then consider it your lucky day.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Wait, you're trialing, therefore, you're balancing your stats correctly? You may well be, but the latter certainly doesn't follow from the former. I would strongly encourage all healers to give Hamlet's posts a thorough read and draw their own conclusions--if you end up disagreeing after actually reading them, fair enough.

I read them when they first came out. I disagreed with them at that point, and I disagree wtih them to this day. It's cute, though, that people who don't really tackle the content when it's difficult continue to parrot this complete and utter tripe that Spirit is somehow "bad" and Intellect is better in every single situation, without fail, for every class and spec. What's even more hilarious is criticizing Affinitti for having 200k mana left at the end of a world first kill and calling it a "waste." It shows a complete lack of understanding of how progression works. It's like people have forgotten that damage is higher, healing is more intense, and you need that padding to extend your attempts as long as possible in hopes if getting those mechanics down so you can get a kill.

But, by all means, continue slashing your regen and telling yourself that OOMing during progression fights is "normal" and "good" and that having any mana left over at the end of the fight somehow makes you bad. I'll be off in the corner, with my better regen, continuing to keep people alive while you're standing there with your thumb up your butt.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
03/27/2013 12:19 PMPosted by Ryuniic
And on a side note? I get very bothered by folks that come into LFR and immediately state, "Banquet please". Learn to cook a-hole.

YES! Me too! I don't know why it bothers me, but it does, haha. I mean, it's LFR people! If you want to min-max bring your own mats. If someone is generous enough to drop one (which they often are) then consider it your lucky day.

Right. And to Naedriel above; I'm grateful for any that supply as well. My beef is for those that show up and demand it. If that makes sense.
:D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Oh definitely. I hate the /yell FOOD PLOX

spam. It annoy the hell out of me. It's a gift, not a demand. Ask kindly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/27/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Tiriel

I read them when they first came out. I disagreed with them at that point, and I disagree wtih them to this day. It's cute, though, that people who don't really tackle the content when it's difficult continue to parrot this complete and utter tripe that Spirit is somehow "bad" and Intellect is better in every single situation, without fail, for every class and spec. What's even more hilarious is criticizing Affinitti for having 200k mana left at the end of a world first kill and calling it a "waste." It shows a complete lack of understanding of how progression works. It's like people have forgotten that damage is higher, healing is more intense, and you need that padding to extend your attempts as long as possible in hopes if getting those mechanics down so you can get a kill.

But, by all means, continue slashing your regen and telling yourself that OOMing during progression fights is "normal" and "good" and that having any mana left over at the end of the fight somehow makes you bad. I'll be off in the corner, with my better regen, continuing to keep people alive while you're standing there with your thumb up your butt.

Of course, none of that has anything to do with anything I actually do or actually said. But it's great that you read them and disagree with them "to this day." That one from March 15th DOES seem like forever ago. I don't mind that you are wrong about basic facts about your "main spec," with such stunning regularity (I don't remember them all, of course, but off the top of my head, "penance consumes borrowed time," our [5.2] shields "ARE THE EXACT SAME IT'S JUST A TOOLTIP ERROR" etc., etc., etc. Etc.,) because I'm sure you're probably a nice person and a fine healer and we all make mistakes, but generally, in the face of that, people try to temper their absolute certitude; they recognize their mistakes, particularly numerous in your case, as evidence that they don't know everything, that they could be wrong about other things as well, and that it's best to remain open and teachable, because people who are unteachable can't learn. But by all means, carry on, defensive, hostile, wrong with breathtaking frequency, yet still somehow knowing everything.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Oh definitely. I hate the /yell FOOD PLOX

spam. It annoy the hell out of me. It's a gift, not a demand. Ask kindly.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Whenever someone says, "Feast," I keep meaning to say, "I'd love one, thanks!"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]