Your most hated healing myths!

90 Troll Shaman
I dont think anyone was suggesting spirit was bad. If they were then they were not ones making intelligent arguments. Most people disagreeing that spirit is the god stat were saying that you can mathematically and theoretically analyse each stat including spirit and figure out what benefit it has to your class. Some may be surprised that the value of spirit compared to the throughput stats are much closer than they believed.

This 1 billion times over.

You have to play to your classes strengths. It is all about burst vs sustained, empowering spells with CD's vs adding more filler spells.

Which means, you have to know the fights (how much of the fight will you have to spend actively healing and how much is low HPS downtime), and your class (how powerful are you CD's vs your filler spells).
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Honestly, the biggest myth out there is that your gear and stat choices are the primary factors for your healing rather than your spell selection and maximizing your efficiency and cooldown usage.

Or conversely that you should strictly follow any priority guide or information on the internet. Regardless of how good the information is, you still need to make adjustments based on your raid composition and encounter strategy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/02/2013 11:39 AMPosted by Superhero
Honestly, the biggest myth out there is that your gear and stat choices are the primary factors for your healing rather than your spell selection and maximizing your efficiency and cooldown usage.

Yes.

Or conversely that you should strictly follow any priority guide or information on the internet. Regardless of how good the information is, you still need to make adjustments based on your raid composition and encounter strategy.

Since I've been the one encouraging people to read "information on the internet" (somewhere on the spectrum between 4chan and Riemann's papers, I guess, as they all qualify as "information on the internet"), and draw their own conclusions, I'll respond. It's factual information about healer resources and their generation. That's it. It's not trying to make decisions for you or tell you about your raid team. It's just useful information about our tools--math-based things about mana and regen and healing spells that aren't necessarily intuitive--and so scary and threatening, apparently, that it requires torches and pitchforks to ward off. Except the reason people are hysterical over it is because they don't know what's actually in it because they haven't actually read it. I thought a good remedy for that would be for people, particularly the healing kind, to actually read it. But you know, by all means, don't. "This is good information for healers," "RAGE RAGE SCREAMY BREATHLESS."

Ok, well, as you were, then.
Edited by Alashe on 4/3/2013 6:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
That overhealing means you are bad.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Overhealing doesn't matter, topping the healing charts is the only thing that counts. If you cant top the healing charts your class isn't in a good place this patch. If i cant beat you on the charts then your class is OP and needs to be nerfed, NOW!

PS Monks are hard to play.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
04/03/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Hewjazz

Overhealing doesn't matter, topping the healing charts is the only thing that counts. If you cant top the healing charts your class isn't in a good place this patch. If i cant beat you on the charts then your class is OP and needs to be nerfed, NOW!

PS Monks are hard to play.

Let me correct myself =)

Overhealing means you are bad. It doesn't matter that you have have not gone oom by the time you have hit enrage or killed the boss, or have healing cd's available when needed and somehow manage to top the charts. No, if you overheal you are bad.

Which brings to mind another myth... that hps meters matter.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Healing meters don't matter at all if the boss dies. You shouldn't bother trying to improve on farm content. When you get to the next boss and it doesn't die, that's because you just suddenly developed a brand-new problem that you didn't have on the previous boss.

In fact, healing meters don't matter at all ever. It doesn't actually matter how much healing you do. There's no minimal requirement that has to be met. If your raid is taking more damage than your team can heal...well, just sit back and wait for the DPS to magically get better, because you certainly can't do anything about it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If your raid is taking more damage than your team can heal...

...then it's not farm content anymore? There's a very large, not at all subtle difference between meters on a success and meters on a wipe (other than an enrage timer wipe). In one of those cases doing more healing could have saved the raid.

If your raid is taking *less* damage than your team can heal, who is low man on the healing meters really, truly doesn't mean jack. And I don't intend that as a healing myth.

The problem is that log aggregator sites are designed for DPS, and for DPS the significance of meters on a success really isn't that different from meters on a wipe, so the sites aren't programmed to distinguish, which makes them junk for evaluating healing. Snipefests are lumped in with fights where healing output really matters and isn't limited by the raid taking too little damage.

04/03/2013 09:58 PMPosted by Kaels
Healing meters don't matter at all if the boss dies. You shouldn't bother trying to improve on farm content.

Because topping meters is the #1 sign of improving as a healer, right? If the boss is dying anyway, one healer can only move up the meters *by moving another one down*. Total damage healed+shielded can't exceed total damage taken.

If you really want to push yourselves to improve on farm content, and you're already at 0 deaths, try to see how much mana (total among the healing team) you can end the encounter with, I guess. That at least shows you're improving your efficiency without letting anyone die, so that in a harder fight you would have more reserves when the stuff hit the fan.

The problem with healing meters shows up as soon as you think about improving the team's total healing done -- the only way to do that is to ask people to stand in more fire so you will have something to heal!

Total damage done can't exceed the boss's + adds' HP, either, but doing that damage faster does something useful, it makes the encounter shorter. Healing isn't just backwards DPS.

I forgot to write all this in the form of sarcasm, but I'm sure people can do their own translating.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
...then it's not farm content anymore? There's a very large, not at all subtle difference between meters on a success and meters on a wipe (other than an enrage timer wipe). In one of those cases doing more healing could have saved the raid.

That second paragraph was about progression content, if it wasn't clear.

Because topping meters is the #1 sign of improving as a healer, right? If the boss is dying anyway, one healer can only move up the meters *by moving another one down*. Total damage healed+shielded can't exceed total damage taken.

And trying your best to push other healers down improves your reaction time, gets you using your CDs more, etc.

If you really want to push yourselves to improve on farm content, and you're already at 0 deaths, try to see how much mana (total among the healing team) you can end the encounter with, I guess. That at least shows you're improving your efficiency without letting anyone die, so that in a harder fight you would have more reserves when the stuff hit the fan.

That's also an interesting exercise, albeit one which requires the coopreration of everyone on the team. It's sort of the opposite form of stretching yourself: aiming for the minimum instead of the maximum. There's probably some value to it, especially if you find that you're wiping on progression due to lack of resources. (That's not a problem I see much in my groups, but I'm sure that somewhere out there, there's a raid that has it.)

Total damage done can't exceed the boss's + adds' HP, either, but doing that damage faster does something useful, it makes the encounter shorter. Healing isn't just backwards DPS.

The idea of trying to do better on meters isn't to try and increase the team's healing done. Everyone knows that's not possible. The idea is to try to decrease the amount of healing the other healers have to do.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
04/03/2013 09:58 PMPosted by Kaels
Healing meters don't matter at all if the boss dies. You shouldn't bother trying to improve on farm content. When you get to the next boss and it doesn't die, that's because you just suddenly developed a brand-new problem that you didn't have on the previous boss.

Wait, this wasn't an attempt at adding another healing myth to the thread?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

In fact, healing meters don't matter at all ever. It doesn't actually matter how much healing you do. There's no minimal requirement that has to be met. If your raid is taking more damage than your team can heal...well, just sit back and wait for the DPS to magically get better, because you certainly can't do anything about it.

Wait - are you being completely serious? It's a bit hard to tell.

The only time healing meters matter is if there is a problem. Let's say I'm on my priest and she's running around doing over twice the healing of her healing partner. When she goes oom the raid wipes. Her healing partner is panicking at the start of the fight, spamming fast heals and then is unable to cast anything for 5 minutes outside of slow small heals here and there.

At that point in time meters and looking at what each person is doing matters. Yes I have healed some raids where a boss doesn't die because the DPS is abysmal. There's nothing you can do there except tell them the issue, why we're hitting the enrage and hope that maybe they'll get better so we can move on with life. But if the raid is wiping due to healing issues then looking to see what each healer is doing and how much healing each healer is putting out is essential to beating the encounter.

Though I do always love to hear "I can't heal better because my class sucks. You don't understand how it is". You're right, I don't because I refuse to use excuses regardless of what I'm healing and what class I'm doing it as.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
In the second paragraph, I think he's assuming the healing team is just performing "normally". The healing team will use what spells it can to keep the raid alive, even if that means going OOM. Over time not just the DPS, but tanks and healers, will generally perform better at the boss mechanics allowing both DPS and HPS to smooth. It's nearly consistent to me.

With that perspective there's no such thing as "healing issues" or "DPS issues" or "tank issues". Every role is doing their normal bit, just not doing the boss right.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Kaels is being sarcastic to the person above him. I almost fell for it too.

I hope, anyway.
Edited by Tsilyi on 4/4/2013 10:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Wait - are you being completely serious? It's a bit hard to tell.

No, I was being completely facetious.

The only time healing meters matter is if there is a problem. Let's say I'm on my priest and she's running around doing over twice the healing of her healing partner. When she goes oom the raid wipes. Her healing partner is panicking at the start of the fight, spamming fast heals and then is unable to cast anything for 5 minutes outside of slow small heals here and there.

Your hypothetical co-healer didn't just suddenly turn into a panicky mess on that one encounter. She's always had a tendency to panic and make poor healing decisions under stress. If you'd been paying attention, you would have been able to see this problem before it became a problem for the raid's progression, and you would have been able to use the easier, less stressful fights to work on fixing it and developing good habits.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Your hypothetical co-healer didn't just suddenly turn into a panicky mess on that one encounter. She's always had a tendency to panic and make poor healing decisions under stress. If you'd been paying attention, you would have been able to see this problem before it became a problem for the raid's progression, and you would have been able to use the easier, less stressful fights to work on fixing it and developing good habits.

That was actually a real example that's happened to me a few times. The last time I had just joined a raid team so no, I couldn't have anticipated it until I saw her heal. I did try to talk to her, help her out, talk to her about healing in general and made sure I wasn't calling her out in front of the raid or making her embarrassed. Things did not get better however and all I got were a lot of excuses.

But, I have been with healers who have turned into sudden panicky messes on some fights when they have been completely fine up till them. Fights that demand they heal differently seem to be the biggest culprits (Chim, Bael, Spine are all examples where I've seen it). Up to those fights however they have excelled and been really good. Suddenly they are thrown out of their comfort zone and feel more stress which in turn makes their healing less then ideal.

You can't always identify which healers are going to be like that. When I was tanking in T11 I had a RL who was laid back, easy going and playfully competed with our Shammy healer to see who could top the meters (they were just joking around on that one). We had done all these fights across the three raids and then suddenly he become stress incarnate on Cho'gall. Very unexpected. I've seen other healers who always seem stressed and then suddenly excel when the fight demands a different approach.

It would be nice if everything is cut and dry like you want. It's not though. Sometimes, if you are just joining a raid team you have to deal with problems as you go. If I'm joining a raid team on farm content I do keep an eye on everyone because it helps me see where the problem areas are going to be in the future.

You also can't help everyone sadly. I would have liked to have helped my healing partner in T13 but she refused to accept any help and between that and other problems I knew that at least personally I wasn't going to go anywhere with that team. Between her excuses of 'There's nothing to heal' (I'm sorry but what? So the raid being half dead due to AoE damage and me struggling to get them back up in my barely qualified gear was in my imagination then?) progressing to "Well my class is in a bad spot right now and you're just OP. So you'll have to cope with doing the majority of the healing" I felt like hitting my head against a wall. I straight up told her I needed her help, that I couldn't do it alone and we both had things to work on. All I was met with was silence.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that for healers the numbers themselves are usually pointless. Sometimes it's fun to see some insane number I've hit or to use it to play games with other healers on farm content. I actually have Recount because it allows me to see what healers are casting, how frequently and what they are relying on as it helps me to identify problems with either myself or my healing partner. I see enough pretty numbers flying around my screen during the encounter myself.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
I'm pretty sure Vishtara's posts are myths too because otherwise those are potentially the most misguided comments about healing I've ever seen.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
That's also an interesting exercise, albeit one which requires the coopreration of everyone on the team. It's sort of the opposite form of stretching yourself: aiming for the minimum instead of the maximum. There's probably some value to it, especially if you find that you're wiping on progression due to lack of resources. (That's not a problem I see much in my groups, but I'm sure that somewhere out there, there's a raid that has it.)

It's actually a good exercise if you know a healer who becomes stressed anytime they do new content. I've known a couple like that over the years and their tendency to panic at any incoming damage, causing them to use their biggest and/or fastest heal which of course caused problems later on in the fight.

Taking them to a fight they were more comfortable on and challenging them to retain as much mana as possible while keeping the raid alive helped them feel more at ease with their healing ability and the way their abilities worked in general. I even knew a healer that got stressed easily and would blow big heals all the time. So I tanked heroics for him back in Cata and told him I never wanted to see his mana under 50% unless something really really really bad happened. Once he got good at that, I stopped using my cd's so he could work on healing sudden damage spikes without panicking. He actually became really good at healing in the end.

Personally I think it's a good exercise (mana management) for all healers to do every once in a while. I've found sometimes we get complacent.

Here's one that may or may not be a healing myth: Healers heal better when drunk.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
This one was new to me in LFR: "I was stunned and the freakin' shaman didn't dispel!!"

So I whispered him with an apology (since I was the ONLY shaman in the raid) and asked how I was supposed to do that. I told him I wanted to learn. He said that one of my totems removes stuns, and when we had a break he'd look it up for me.

Then he comes back and says, "Oh they removed that."

We can't dispel everything. Really... we can't.
Reply Quote
42 Worgen Druid
That tanks know how to heal better than the healer.

"You should put your serpent statue over there for better heals :)"

I should have put my statue on top of the tank every time I moved it, but I refrained.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
This one was new to me in LFR: "I was stunned and the freakin' shaman didn't dispel!!"

So I whispered him with an apology (since I was the ONLY shaman in the raid) and asked how I was supposed to do that. I told him I wanted to learn. He said that one of my totems removes stuns, and when we had a break he'd look it up for me.

Then he comes back and says, "Oh they removed that."

We can't dispel everything. Really... we can't.

I was just healing that portion of MSV and someone asked how to avoid getting stunned. They weren't rude, just wondering if they did something wrong.

I told them it had to be dispelled and Priest's had a mass dispell that really helps. Sadly we only had one Priest. The rest of us can only dispell one target and it's on a cd so people are going to get stunned and as healers we just have to heal through it.

I was a bit surprised that someone actually asked a question, especially about that in LFR.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]