Want to level a Tank; has question.

88 Gnome Warlock
I've read the Tank comparison sticky. It was very helpful, but I have a different question.

I don't want the easiest or best tank, I want the tank with the least amount of buttons to push.

I have nerve damage in my arm, and for WoW I'm pretty one-handed. I don't really have the motor skills to play with both. It's cool, I got a G600. That leaves me with (around) 24 buttons to put on my toolbar. If I fill those slots, I have to throw them on my keyboard when I want/need to hit them. That is sub-optimal because I have to take my hands off the mouse. I also have trouble switching on the fly between targeting allies and enemies.

I have a Paladin, but paladin involved me targeting my party quite a bit. It really messed me up. The class was easy, but the playstyle didn't fit my predicament.
I have druid and druid was fine(ish) but looking at a bear !@# all the time got a little dull.Does not make me feel heroic. If it's the best, it's the best. I'd rather ask before committing myself to bear $%^ though.
My warrior; I had intervene set to target's target and it worked okay. Kind of. I honestly don't remember much about the class, but I'm pretty sure skillbar bloat is a problem for them now.
I have not leveled a DK.
I have not leveled a Monk.

This is going to be an ALT, so tryharding isn't priority #1. I'm not out to raid tank here, but I don't want to be in a class that doesn't suit me either. I'm not out for the perfect class, but just the best compromise. Because healing sucks.

Thank you/screw you in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
DK
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
Bears.

here's your rotational buttons:
mangle
lacerate
faerie fire
maul
thrash
swipe maybe for aoe

(that's seriously it)

[e] Okay yeah I guess a DK is better :l
Edited by Kangamooster on 3/22/2013 8:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Seriously, why do people choose toons by @ss?
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Warlock
Seriously, why do people choose toons by @ss?

Bear !@# is not the deciding factor, but I do like my character's $%^ to be decorated in all the cool armor I earn. I'm not discriminatory toward what kind of -*! it is. Gnome @#$, orc %^-, troll *!@, worgen #$%. I can appreciate most any kind of ^-* except bear !@# because bear $%^ takes the thrill out of getting new gear.

It's not the -*! itself, it's the fact the bear @#$ is not aesthetically pleasing.
Edited by Icktik on 3/22/2013 8:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Priest
Well, the rocket pack on the gunship fight show on bear butt. Which was really nice.
Edited by Hiimawsome on 3/22/2013 8:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
I'll just start with a TL : DR and recommend either Druid or Death Knight. Whichever you choose first, try them both! They have extremely different playstyles. Guardian being much more solid with a lower damage intake, the DK taking far more damage but having amazing self heals and being much more in control of their own fate. Both a lot of fun!

I have all tanks, thats all I really play. I can't log in to my main account atm due to an issue with my authenticator, but I will gladly post more info about them if you'd like on my real account to show I might actually know what I'm saying lol. That being said :

Bear @$$ may not be that cool to look at, but they are actually extremely strong when it comes to tanking. They have a very stable damage intake, which means the amount of emergency buttons you will need to press is minimal. You have a couple spells which you may end up using on party members, but its nothing like the Paladin. I could see it being possible to tank most normal mode content with no more than 6 buttons as a Guardian using macros.

^ Feral on the other hand, uses quite a few more abilities, and is pretty much accepted as the most hectic rotation dps wise, with shadow being second. Of course, it can be simplified to make things easy at the cost of some damage. Definitely would be doable.

Death Knights don't have that many buttons either, in fact, if you count all the Druid cooldowns, DKs have less, but they are much more spiky and require more "twitch" reflexes. If having to make snap reactions doesn't bother your good hand, DK would be fine. There are less spells which target other players also, which means less micro. Its just a matter of timing your abilities in comparison to the damage you take. Death Strike after big hits to heal yourself, and minor cooldowns to reduce damage. Pretty simple to learn, difficult to master.

^ On the dps side, Frost is probably the easiest spec in the game. You can top charts with 3 buttons (maybe 5). Unholy isn't much more complicated. You could definitely handle either of those outside of blood. I could easily see myself playing a DK in any spec with just my mouse.

You definitely don't want to go with the Monk. It doesn't have many buttons, but holy hell, it takes a lot of work to tank as one. Very fast paced and no real "rotation" like the Druid and the DK have. Accepted as the hardest tank to play currently.

Warrior and Paladin are pretty much the same, just different abilities with the same purpose. Instead of Word of Glory to heal yourself you would Shield Block to reduce that damage. The warrior has fewer ally targeting required, but still more than the Druid or Death Knight. If you didn't like the Paladin, I'd guess you wouldn't enjoy the Warrior much more.
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Warlock
I'll level DK and little then, if I like it I'll keep him.

Thank you all.

Except Drinethir, screw you buddy.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid
nice post bids
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock

Thank you all.

One thing to keep in mind. From level 56 to about level 84...Blood Boil is the only button you need as a DK. So you won't really get the feel for it until after that. Insane scaling issues :/

But its worth playing even just to get the lore side of things :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage

LOL, what?! I was just asking a question.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
03/23/2013 01:26 PMPosted by Drinethor

I like you bro...your ok in my book.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I'd say DK... and it starts at level 55 so you can try it out after just a few levels and see if you like it in dungeons
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
03/23/2013 01:42 PMPosted by Muher

I like you bro...your ok in my book.

Someone likes me!

@Icktik - my main is a bear so when you speak ill of bear @ss it hurts my feelings :D
(I thought I was posting on that toon)
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
I would go with druid. With that mouse you can put Mangle, Swipe, Thrash, and whatever the active mitigation is called on your bars and just have it spam them all.

Add this to somewhere
/cast charge
/startattack
/castsequence [combat]reset=combat "whatever the 20% damage reduction is"

Turn on your spam toggle and you don't have to press another button the entire run except to thank the healer when he tells you how awesome you are (make sure you turn off the toggle first or you'll burst his bubble replying with,"90-=90-=90-=90-=90-=90-=90-=90-=90-=90-=90-=90-=90-=".

You can do this with paladins too, and tank like a pro. The only problem with them is that they have so many other buttons, that you don't really need to push, but you really really want to push them, that they get irritating.

Warrior and DKs can be made to work, but the thing that makes Druids special is their extremely low cooldowns on spamable AOE abilities. This means you can spam them in a macro without worrying about managing cooldowns. As a warrior the 6 seconds between thunder claps can feel like an eternity while the druid has thrown out two swipes and a thrash. On the DK Blood Boil works fantastic, but you can't spam it without loosing Death Strikes, and you really need to get diseases up to make the most of it.

Anywho, druid is your most macro mouse friendly tank in my opinion.

PS if you are a pro with macros you can one button toggle a monk, but it takes every trick in the book to make them work.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
03/25/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Anklegrip
I would go with druid. With that mouse you can put Mangle, Swipe, Thrash, and whatever the active mitigation is called on your bars and just have it spam them all.

This would be an awful way to approach bear tanking. It ignores Mangle procs, it doesn't account for the other rage choices for defense, and not everything is just spammed on cd.
Reply Quote
82 Undead Death Knight

Thank you all.

One thing to keep in mind. From level 56 to about level 84...Blood Boil is the only button you need as a DK. So you won't really get the feel for it until after that. Insane scaling issues :/

But its worth playing even just to get the lore side of things :)

This is OP on his new DK. Holy hell, you're right. I like the class so far, but I am completely IMBA. Feeling some leveling fatigue, but I'll get to Pandaria eventually...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]