Item upgrades back in 5.3

90 Worgen Warrior
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/9241762/Item_Upgrades_in_53-3_22_2013

Something to note for us PvPers:

No other PvP items are upgradable, and no new PvP items for the foreseeable future will use the upgrade system.

It shouldn’t be too surprising, given that we’ve already come out and said it some weeks ago, that item upgrades are essentially not coming back for PvP. It’s something a lot of PvPers asked that we remove, it’s something we didn’t feel worked out too well, and so unsurprisingly the result is that it isn’t coming back. We’re still probably going to allow the Season 12 items that had previous upgradability to remain upgradable, as noted in the bullets above, but it’s not something we’re absolutely certain about at this moment. We’ll let you know if that changes.

Basically saying sorry but PvP item upgrading was the worst thing and something we'll never get again :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Because it was pretty bad for pvp gearing.

Don't worry, 549ilvl pve pieces will fix it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I'm glad they implemented it the way they did for PvP. If we get a PvE item ban, 5.3 will be one of the best situations PvP has ever seen for gear being equal. But how likely is that?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Yeah... I see you smiling at the end of your post but I'm not sure why.

This pretty much means that if the people theorycrafting are right that heroic PvE pieces in offset slots gemmed for resilience are going to be BiS in PvP. The stat gain is enormous and now they'll be upgradeable to only further exacerbate the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
was it really that bad to have pvp upgrades? once you're geared up you have nothing to keep playing for.. item upgrades changed that.

and while the gear gap was/is sometimes a problem (especially for alts), i think more often than not a lot of the crying about pvp gear upgrading was from people looking for reasons why they lost other than them (or their team) playing poorly.

also, i don't like the idea of heroic pve items becoming better than pvp gear.
Edited by Legend on 3/22/2013 1:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
This pretty much means that if the people theorycrafting are right that heroic PvE pieces in offset slots gemmed for resilience are going to be BiS in PvP. The stat gain is enormous and now they'll be upgradeable to only further exacerbate the problem.

And by allowing upgrades being able to be applied to Elite Gear would only worsen the gear gap. The gemmable accessories are a problem of their own, should they get a ban in Arenas or a nerf in PvP in some way shape or form, we'll have a good gear system on our hands.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
This is good, I'm glad they're not doing PvP upgrades. That really screwed the balance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
http://www.wowhead.com/item=96791

This will be an interesting season for high level raiders.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/22/2013 12:57 PMPosted by Legend
was it really that bad to have pvp upgrades? once you're geared up you have nothing to keep playing for.. item upgrades changed that.

At the point cost it was previously, yes, it was. Even average rated players would never finish their gear set before the season ended.

The gear treadmill was literally continuous, and it put us in the situation we're in now; if you had close to full 2/2 S12 gear your moving into S13 gear is nearly pointless, and you're spending thousands to gem and enchant a full set for two item levels. For the average pvper, that's actually quite restrictive.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]