So... Tanks don't get deserter debuff?

87 Night Elf Druid
I joined a dungeon already in progress. After taking almost 5 minutes to kill one boss, the whole time being barely healed by the healer, I looked at recount and saw I was doing 70% of the damage. One lock doing 9k, cat druid doing 4k(!) and hunter doing... nothing. I decided it was worth taking the deserter debuff to get out of this horrible group. I left the dungeon, but didn't receive the debuff. The requeue timer being at 4 minutes was all that kept me from dropping and immediately joining another group.
Are tanks no longer being penalized for leaving groups, or is this because I joined one in progress? Maybe something else is going on here, what am I missing?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If i'm not mistaken, when you join a dungeon, it starts a 15 min counter.

if it's a fresh instance:
- if you drop without killing any boss you get a 15 min counter
- if you drop after killing the boss, it basically deduces the amount of time you spent in the instance. For example, if it took you 10 minutes to kill a boss and quit, you'll get a 5min debuff.

if it's an instance in progress:
- the timer starts when you step in the instance. So it doesn't matter if you kill a boss or not, the time spent in the instance is deduced from the debuff.

this is 100% based on my observation. It's not a fact or posted anywhere. It's very rare for me to drop groups, but yeh, as far as I noticed, the debuff timer have a few "variations".
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I was under the impression that you don't get deserter if you drop group after downing a boss, but I'm like Leeflow, I don't drop groups often.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
What Waniou said. I don't drop groups often enough to be sure of the exact parameters, but I thought that if you downed at least one boss, there was no penalty.

Pretty sure the rules are no different for tanks than for anyone else, except when Call to Arms is in effect (and that only works if you finish, so obviously, no deserter debuff would apply).
Reply Quote
What Waniou said. I don't drop groups often enough to be sure

I do. Well, not as often as tank, but as DPS I'll drop if the tank is an idiot, which sad to say happens quite often. After a boss kill, or after a specific amount of time has passed, you won't get a deserter debuff. However, you'll still have the dungeon finder CD to contend with. When you queue in LFG it starts a 30 minute CD that resets if you complete the dungeon requirement, but not if you drop.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Leeflow is mostly correct, but as far as I've seen you don't get a debuff itself, just have a cooldown on using LFD again.

Same thing I suppose.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Leeflow is mostly correct, but as far as I've seen you don't get a debuff itself, just have a cooldown on using LFD again.

Same thing I suppose.

There's both. The cooldown always happens. The debuff only happens if you leave before certain conditions are met.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
It should be noted that getting kicked also gives you the debuff.

Ask me how I know that :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
If you down a boss you don't get the 15 minute debuff. Role doesn't matter.

However, you may get a 5 minute timer before you can use LFD again.

Sometimes you don't. Like many others, I rarely leave a group until the instance is over. The timer thing seems a bit arbitrary. The group has to be really bad for me to leave (like the OPs was). Bad being arbitrary as well seeing as there different forms of bad.

I tend to do 3 heroics a day max, one each on my 90s. Two of which are tanks (DK and warrior). Leaving them tends to be worse than dealing with slow DPS/poor tank. My warrior is hampered by low DPS more than my DK by far.

On my DK I can pretty much just run through most heroics pulling the packs exactly the same regardless of the DPS. The only difference is how fast the mobs die. My DKs health typically starts and ends at the same point, 100%.

As a hunter I can speed things along by MDing some packs to a slower tank. I do so much DPS in heroics (as survival) I don't get kicked. I've had some tanks get mad, but I ignore them as long as I don't kill them. Sometimes they are squishier than I anticipate...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Just press "I" to bring up the dungeon finder again. If you have a 15 minute or less timer you're going to get the debuff. If you don't then you're good. For what it's worth, none of this applies if you queue for a specific instance.
Edited by Dûchene on 3/25/2013 8:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As someone who drops a million groups due to poor DPS, when you random queue via LFD, a 15 minute timer starts. If you leave before a boss dies, you're slapped with a 30 minute deserter debuff. If you leave after a boss dies, you will no longer get deserter, but you still have to wait out the 15 minute dungeon cooldown (So if you took 5 minutes to kill the first boss, you'll have to wait 10 minutes until you can queue again).

If you complete the instance in under 15 minutes, the cooldown is removed and you can queue again.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I rarely leave a group also. I was runing ret untill my Q was 45 mins, so I went back to tanking. I know how long it can take for a group to fill the tank spot.

On the ocasion that the group is just tera bad, or they refuse to kick the stupid hunter for instance, I will leave.

the other day I left after the 1st boss died cause it was just horible.

I re Q'ed and WTF, it sent me back to the same instance with the same set of dumb dumbs.
I left group again, and got the 30 min deserter.

So I belive it has somthing to do with timing. Like i said, the group was bad, so it took a while to get to the 1st boss, then kill him, and after I left I did not have to wait at all.

This was random dungens tho, not heroic or raid btw.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Down a boss your good. When you get into a fail group that pisses you off take down one boss, pull the next room, say goodbye and good luck !@#$%es, drop group, then re-cue.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
If you down a boss then there is no deserter debuff, simply the 15 minute CD from what remains from the time you accepted the dungeon which clears so long as the end boss goes down.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]