Vampiric Cave Bats - 25man - Warrior

100 Night Elf Warrior
Hey guys, so Ive been assigned the bat tank and i have been have plenty of problems with it.. Well, a lot actually. Ive been having trouble picking up the bats for most of all and then actually keeping threat on them aswell, do any other warrior tanks have the same problem?

When the bats come down, they are either MD'd to me or I use Heroic Throw.. If they get MD'd to me, if I am not close enough to the bats after the 4 seconds they just disperse and everyone dies. And If I use heroic throw, half the time they will come to me, other half the time everyone dies. And if They do come to me, I thunderclap, cleave, revenge, etc, but sometimes I still lose threat.

What would you guys suggest to me to help me pick up the bats better, get more threat on the bats and also SURVIVE whilst having the bats? (Shield Barrier <3) Cheers!

Edit: Would you guys suggest changing any of my enchants/gems for this fight?
Edited by Gromeo on 3/24/2013 10:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Eugh. It's bad enough as a DK or Paladin. I do NOT want to try it with a Warrior...

That said, who's your other tank? Or are you one-tanking?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
I've been useing Mocking Banner when it's available, and Heroic Leap is prob a much better choice over heroic throw. Then just your standard AOE tanking. Slows and Stuns work on the little buggers, so if your getting low on health, use the AOE slow talent, forget what it's called right now.

They come down near the center of the room so just make sure to keep an eye out for them immediately after Breathe is supposed to happen.

BTW it sucks doing bats as a warrior.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
Our other tank is a DK whose on the boss, and I know the slowing ability you're talking about.. Something howl.. As for Heroic Leaping onto the bats, my main concern is that ill either be a split second to slow and they'll disperse leaving 1 - 3 bats flying around the raid as Heroic Leap will only work if they are CLOSE to the ground.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Put your dk on the bats, he'll have no problem with threat and he'll absolutely destroy them with blood boil spam.
Reply Quote
Yeah, put the DK on the bats. You don't have any obscene aggro-drawing vengeance-scaling healing that'll pull off of you (cough cough paladins cough cough), so it ought to work fine.
Reply Quote
If you have a holy paladin, have them heal with RF and stand by them. As long as range dps isn't dps'ing them before they get to you, they'll come right to you.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Heroic leap was the only way it worked for me.... but I'll be honest it was hell. 1-3 Bats might get loose from time to time exactly as you describe.

We ended up putting the DK tank on the adds, and everything just went so much smoother. Dk's have a much better time picking them up than we do.

However if their insisting on you tanking them, there's not much else you can do but leap on em, TC, Heroic throw, charge whatever the F you need to do to pick up any strays. It sucks, not something built for warriors. I glyphed leap while I was tanking them so it would be available every time the bats came up.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
Its like sinestra whelps.

It sucks as a warrior.

Other than once every 3 mins

But

03/24/2013 09:56 PMPosted by Gromeo
If they get MD'd to me, if I am not close enough to the bats after the 4 seconds they just disperse and everyone dies.

Why aren't you there within 4s...

Either you thunderclap right and get all of them or someone gets instagibbed by all of them.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
The main reason I wasnt there within 4seconds was partly because I was standing in melee ready to TC them and then the melee can cleave them down, I do admit I could of down something else to get to them but a majority of the time they where still in the air.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Yeah, put the DK on the bats. You don't have any obscene aggro-drawing vengeance-scaling healing that'll pull off of you (cough cough paladins cough cough), so it ought to work fine.

DKs with chillblains are quite stellar on the job actually ..

and monks because we keg smash the world ..
Reply Quote
26 Undead Warrior
Am I the only person who honestly doesn't think Bats as a warrior sucks? o_O

I mean, it wasn't really a lot of fun until I figured out the trick to it (with my group's comp anyway), but still...I've had worse jobs >_>;
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Our only issue is their swing timers syncing, and doing 800,000 damage to me when picking them up.

[21:03:23.019] Vampiric Cave Bat hits Severen 76065
[21:03:23.053] Vampiric Cave Bat hits Severen 64849
[21:03:23.053] Vampiric Cave Bat hits Severen 91402
[21:03:23.053] Vampiric Cave Bat hits Severen 92571
[21:03:23.053] Vampiric Cave Bat hits Severen 85570
[21:03:23.053] Vampiric Cave Bat hits Severen 83291
[21:03:23.053] Vampiric Cave Bat hits Severen 78570
[21:03:23.053] Vampiric Cave Bat hits Severen Parry
[21:03:23.053] Vampiric Cave Bat hits Severen 67415
[21:03:23.240] Severen dies

luls. All night long.
Edited by Severen on 3/25/2013 12:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This blew us up so many times, sigh.

And here I thought we were going to have an expansion that DIDN'T threaten tank death in two seconds by the second tier of raiding.

They really needed to give tanks a larger stamina pool. Like, instead of tanks having 10-35% more stamina than DPS, make it 100-150% more. Let tanks actually have some VARIATION in their health beyond "full" and "dead" like we're heading for, again.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Does Mocking Banner even work on these adds? Mocking Banner and Gorefiend's Grasp (which isn't a taunt I know but still useful) usually don't seem to work on adds in raid boss encounters.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
Mocking banner works basically every trivial boss add.

(ie not windlord where the adds are the mechanic of the night, Not 100% on empress)

100% works on elegon sparks/protectors/sandstorm elementals/bats
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I had absolutely no issues on a warrior. Heroic Leap onto them, Thunder Clap and/or Shockwave. Keep up Shield Block + Barrier if stuff gets scary, IV or Regeneration if you really need a heal (outside of cool downs, of course).

I found it far harder on a bear. You have to GET over to them to Thrash at them.

Paladin is stupid easy. Turn on RF, turn on Battle Insight and damage the boss (instant AoE threat whooo).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I try to see who the bats are targeting. Most of the time it was our pally tank on the boss. I just intervened him and waited for the bats to get low enough for TC and Shockwave.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
Glyph Death from Above and Resonating Power
Intervene the Tortos tank regularly for Vengeance
Heroic Leap->Thunder Clap every bat spawn

gg. if you take Dragon's Roar and/or Bloodbath, it's up for every other set.

Many Warrior tanks don't seem to realize how much threat and damage Heroic Leap causes; it's one of our best AE threat tools. Well, our best, really, considering it's off the GCD and it does wonky damage with lots of Vengeance.
Edited by Kangamooster on 3/25/2013 6:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Our only issue is their swing timers syncing, and doing 800,000 damage to me when picking them up.

Yeah, for me the turning point came when we were consistently killing most bat waves by the next Quake Stomp so that I could use cooldowns mostly for picking them up instead. The pucker factor is out of control in that initial moment when you're agroing all of them and you know all of them are going to swing at the same time AND some of them are probably going to register as being behind you AND you need to strafe-run them over to the boss.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]