Beware of Dirk

90 Human Paladin
To put a disclaimer on this, yes, it's entirely our own fault, though I don't see what we should have done differently.

There was a warrior in our guild that had been with us for a year, had gone out of his way consistently to help the guild. We promoted him to Officer because he got along with people, seemed trustworthy, and had been with us through quite a lot, including a time when it seemed our guild was dying.

He was our main tank for our raids and let us know an hour before raid that he had been looking around for new guilds and was leaving. I immediately demoted him and his alts, to ensure he couldn't take anything from the guild bank, then I went to check the logs. 2 stacks of each kind of flask, half a stack of each kind of Greater shoulder inscription, Enchant Bracer - Greater Agility, a few of both types of Greater Spellthread, all taken around a week before telling us he was leaving, indicating it was very much planned out, and he apparently hoped that others would deposit/withdraw enough that it would be hidden. Priced on the AH the day he left, it was worth 15k without counting the flasks.

Admittedly, he did deposit a good amount of mats over the year, and I would have been fine with letting him have a stack of each flask and a few inscriptions had he mentioned he wanted to leave and asked about the items, but it was a massive betrayal of trust. His current guild leader has said that he doesn't care and that Dirk has a home there, so the best of luck to him, I hope he doesn't let Dirk build up false trust.

As I said to begin with, it is our fault for letting him have access to those tabs of the guild bank, I merely wish to warn others in case he decides to try and repeat the performance. He even changed his name afterwards. Before, he was Dbdirkish, now he is Ðirk. Alts that I'm aware of are Dirkswife, Dbcarl, Dbdirk, Dirkbag, Dirkish, and Drdirk.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Doesn't sound like to bad a guy to me. With the guild over a year, was an officer and MT for your raids. Sounds like he put in the time and just wanted to make sure he didn't lose everything that he helped contribute to.

I know it sucks when you lose a valuable player and friend from your guild, I know first hand as my wife and I run our guild. It's what happens though eventually people find something else for what ever reason. You guys just need to keep your heads up and get through it.

Soon as you found out he was thinking of leaving you demoted him and all his toons, it doesn't sound like you would be willing to help him out to much if he would have asked =P

Good luck you guys.

Pliny
Co-Gm
Fire and Fury
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I demoted him precisely because I've heard too many horror stories of people having their guild banks cleaned out. I'd also have been fine with letting him have some Inscriptions/Flasks, but 15+k worth? I think that's ridiculous, especially since it was essentially stolen. He has donated things to the gbank in the past, but that's precisely what it was, donations. You don't donate to something and then come back a year later and demand a refund. We never forced anyone to donate, we merely asked for mats that people could spare.

I did give him a chance to return some of the items before I posted this, by the way. He chose not to. He could have even kept a stack of tank flasks and a few tanking inscriptions, as far as I'm concerned, since he's a tank. I never had a problem with him before he told us so soon before raid that he was leaving. Even then, I've dealt with him enough over the past year to not hate him for it, our raid has made a lot less progress than I'd have liked, so I can understand his reasonings. It's the point when I found out what and how much he took from the gbank so far in advance that I lost all positive thoughts about him.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I demoted him precisely because I've heard too many horror stories of people having their guild banks cleaned out. I'd also have been fine with letting him have some Inscriptions/Flasks, but 15+k worth? I think that's ridiculous, especially since it was essentially stolen. He has donated things to the gbank in the past, but that's precisely what it was, donations. You don't donate to something and then come back a year later and demand a refund. We never forced anyone to donate, we merely asked for mats that people could spare.

I did give him a chance to return some of the items before I posted this, by the way. He chose not to. He could have even kept a stack of tank flasks and a few tanking inscriptions, as far as I'm concerned, since he's a tank. I never had a problem with him before he told us so soon before raid that he was leaving. Even then, I've dealt with him enough over the past year to not hate him for it, our raid has made a lot less progress than I'd have liked, so I can understand his reasonings. It's the point when I found out what and how much he took from the gbank so far in advance that I lost all positive thoughts about him.

A person that tells their raid they are leaving an hour before raid time shouldn't take offense at being demoted for protection of the guild bank. You didn't simply boot him out out of the guild. You didn't stop talking to him. And even tho he contributed over the year- he did also clearly steal. I'm sorry it happened to you this way.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I hope DBM pushes an update so that whenever I log in the whole server gets a "Beware" warning.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]