4th spec

90 Human Paladin
Don't mind me, just my own ramblings here on a fourth paladin spec...

The problem with letting holy paladins be shockadins is that they would do good damage and have great healing, right?
So if you gave paladins a 4th spec you could limit their healing to the same base spells as Ret & prot.
The 4th spec would be: Zealot.
A dps caster spec using holy damage.
Main spells would be: Denounce, exorcism (mass exo would not have the melee range restriction), judgement, Holy armor(self buff) Divine form (shapeshift)and Purge evil.

Purge evil - Cost 1 holy power and dispell 1 buff on target while dealing mid-range damage.

Holy armor - reflects 15% of all spell damage back at the caster as holy damage, and for non-damaging spells (polymorph, hex, etc...) you have a 5% chance to reflect the spell back at the caster. Holy armor would be a buff that would last until canceled or dispelled. All melee damage has a 3% chance to generate a holy power charge.

Divine form - Instant cast costing 1 -5 holy power:Transform into a guardian angel for 6 seconds per holy charge spent (Picture your character but all gold and wings in the style of the guardian of kings) This would be a buff similar to a locks demon form.

One other perk of the spec:
Seals would trigger on damaging spell casts.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I wouldn't mind a real shockadin. It's annoying trying to gear up two characters in two different sets of gear. I think eventually every class will get a 4th spec.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
At least if they did give us a 4th spec shockadin then you could go holy/zealot and have very similar gear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I wonder if blizz has already considered giving all classes a 4th spec now that druids have 4 specs but everyone else has 3. Maybe in a future expansion?

A shockadin/inquisitor/offensive caster spec might work well for paladins so long as we don't end up feeling like a holy priest spamming smite or something.

/enddaydream
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Since ranged DPS has never and will never be a paladin role, we do not need a 4th spec. Your DPS spec is melee. Deal with it.

Don't poop on the idea Lobster...
I like this idea.
Another use for the intellect plate. Great Idea!
Edited by Blackbriar on 3/23/2013 10:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Two suggestions...

1) Caster heals/DPS, as the OP said.
2) Something that makes use of agility plate, which has no role in the game right now other than to frustrate blacksmiths who inadvertently build it while leveling.

What No. 2 would be, I don't know. But I tend to take a "real world" view to the logic of gearing a character: If, in the real world, you put an agile fighter next to a non-agile fighter, the agile fighter will beat him. A lot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't like playing ranged?

Well guess what, this fight favors ranged so suck it up buttercup

Yes this would happen.......no thanks
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
The idea is interesting, I could certainly get behind the aesthetic appeal of such a spec and another use for Int plate would be a worthy cause.

Never gonna happen, but fun to think about.

I always wanted a Holy based DPS caster, a shame that Priests have to use Shadow to DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
4th spec will prolly happen eventually. I hope that it isn't something as obvious as this though. Same goes for priest who want a holy dps caster. It's just too obvious, no creative juices involved.

Blizz is still one of the leaders in thinking outside of the box so I would hope the smart people there don't just roll out some broke mechanic as a "4th spec".

If it was a paladin dps caster I hope it doesn't use holy shock and denounce. It would need to be a fresh spec is what i'm gettin at
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
A hybrid spell caster in plate

Sounds too good.

Too strong
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A hybrid spell caster in plateSounds too good.Too strong

?? plate doesnt mean anything
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I approve of this message.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Shockadin wasn't traditionally a ranged spec anyway, holy had no real ranged damage (at times holy had less ranged damage than ret) until mop.. a "fourth" traditional shockadin spec would still be melee.

Go back to the days when it was arguably it's most viable, vanilla and BC, and those paladins were fully in melee, stacking spellpower for shock and seal of righteousness damage. In BC, shockadin was barely different from being a real prot paladin.

That said, for about a week now I've been working with a holy dps spec in LFRs and can say with meh gear (full 476 pvp gear and a weapon from ToT) that the damage isn't bad if you properly build for it. The burst is actually incredible, again, if you build for it. The problem is that after about 4 1/2 to 5 minutes.. you're done. You have no more damage. You're staring at the cooldown of plea, looking through your character panel trying to figure out how to get more spirit. And you're standing in melee (where you better have been the entire time), counting seal of insight procs, because you had to game them properly with your instant casts just to make it past 4 minutes.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Shockadin wasn't traditionally a ranged spec anyway, holy had no real ranged damage (at times holy had less ranged damage than ret) until mop.. a "fourth" traditional shockadin spec would still be melee.

Go back to the days when it was arguably it's most viable, vanilla and BC, and those paladins were fully in melee, stacking spellpower for shock and seal of righteousness damage. In BC, shockadin was barely different from being a real prot paladin.

That said, for about a week now I've been working with a holy dps spec in LFRs and can say with meh gear (full 476 pvp gear and a weapon from ToT) that the damage isn't bad if you properly build for it. The burst is actually incredible, again, if you build for it. The problem is that after about 4 1/2 to 5 minutes.. you're done. You have no more damage. You're staring at the cooldown of plea, looking through your character panel trying to figure out how to get more spirit. And you're standing in melee (where you better have been the entire time), counting seal of insight procs, because you had to game them properly with your instant casts just to make it past 4 minutes.

you didn't run glyph of beacon and FoL did you?

You had to be running glyph of holy shock, but did you try illumination? Illumination worked better for me when I was doing dailies.

Blizz could tweak that form 1% to 2 or 3 % if they wanted to ... but yeah our good ole pally dev could do alot more stuff with pallys to make them better, but they don't
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Illumination was a fairly significant mana regeneration loss in sustained combat at just over 10.5k mp5. The shock crits only return 3k mana every 6 seconds, 40% of the time, it averages to be about an 8k mp5 loss, it'd need to be probably 4% to make it mana positive in sustained dps, on a toon with a decent amount of spirit.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
This is basically my biggest irritation with the devs. Our class has the foundation to be good in both ret and holy spec. If they would just tweak some of our current tools the class could be even more fun to play.

Is it that they just don't know how to do it, or don't care? I have to say that they are apathetic toward paladins, because the suggestions for fun improvements are all over the forums.

Edit: 4% would be too much. 2-3% on illumination, but reduce denounce from 9+% to say 5% would probably solve the mana problem
Edited by Tenacius on 3/28/2013 3:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Adding a fourth role, especially one that has never had real support, is a pretty big undertaking.

Paladins as a class are barely on par as right now, and need more attention than we seem to get as it is. Dividing what we have into a fourth role would just likely harm the overall class.

Making a use for int plate, or removing it entirely, is not actually that difficult. They've said they "don't like" any of the suggestions they've had for it, though. At one point during Cataclysm they claimed that holy using strength-based gear would be in danger of doing too much melee damage. With all them scary autoattacks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]