So sad!

100 Tauren Druid
I love, love, love my bear. But has anyone else noticed just how superior warriors currently are to bears? Bears bring Tranq sure, but warriors have Rallying/Demo Banner.

Just about all the major attacks (Snapping Bite, Triple Puncture, Flaming Fans, Hard Stare, etc) are not dodge-able, but can be absorbed. Other than I love being on it, I can't find a single reason to keep raiding on my bear over my warrior. Has anyone else noticed this?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Snapping Bite is dodgeable, Fans is a joke, and Hard Stare and Puncture tickle.

If you're adept as a Bear, you can bring so much to the plate, between Heart, Typhoon, Bash/Vortex, Roar, passive mitigation, T&C, and even Symbiosis.

Frankly, though, if you think Warriors are superior atm because of those and that's making you consider switching, you quite possibly don't actually enjoy your Bear all that much.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
All of the abilities you mentioned cannot be blocked, either - and block is a HUGE part of Warrior mitigation.

and if you think Tranq is the only thing, welp, you need to read the tooltip on NV and check its cd.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Snapping Bite can be blocked.
Reply Quote

If you're adept as a Bear, you can bring so much to the plate, between Heart, Typhoon, Bash/Vortex, Roar, passive mitigation, T&C, and even Symbiosis.

Frankly, though, if you think Warriors are superior atm because of those and that's making you consider switching, you quite possibly don't actually enjoy your Bear all that much.

It's one of those situations where "the grass is greener on the other side" in that he sees what a warrrior does and warriors really shine at what they can do that druids cannot do or not as well.

I delt with a warrior cotank that decided to heroic leap/charge to the next pack of mobs just to get the initial aggro so 'he' could tank it and not me. Granted, he always did this and left the healers behind and healers had to play catchup (I always ensure healers are given time to position and prepare so that they're not running just to keep the tank from dieing).

T&C, unfortunately, nobody notices you're doing it. Even had someone suggest it to me to just not use it because maul does so little damage as they didn't even understand how much damage it can reduce. (had it go up to 1.4 mil on a fight where a boss channeled for extended time)

Symbiosis can greatly depend on the other group members in terms of usefulness. Which you might not have X class in 10 mans. Which from the OP's post, assuming his cotank is a warrior and he might be the only druid in which case he'll end up putting symbiosis on the warrior which sucks for him on giving him spell reflect.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

On normals maybe =D

All of the abilities you mentioned cannot be blocked, either - and block is a HUGE part of Warrior mitigation.

I agree, but they can be absorbed with Shield Barrier.

and if you think Tranq is the only thing, welp, you need to read the tooltip on NV and check its cd.

I realise this. I use NV as a self cool down/threat generator, not as a raid cool down. Do your raids put NV in a raid cool down rotation for AoE damage?

Which from the OP's post, assuming his cotank is a warrior and he
might be the only druid

I am the only druid, but my co-tank is a paladin (even more OP, I know hehe).

If I did actually switch to my warrior, it would be because it heavily outgears this druid. However, I'm likely going to be switching my warrior in for several fights. I started thinking about what my druid actually brings as a tank to the fights when it was pointed out that Heroic Horridon is simplified in phase 2 with a warrior for the cool downs.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
My main gripe about Bear tanking is no one notices how awesome we are. My DK co-tank LOVES to post his self-healing. Yea, that's what DKs do. But me? I can't post my dodges or reductions from T&C.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
ok so ... DK > warriors > bears .... interesting.

and suprisingly, quoting fean:

play the class you enjoy rather than chase phantasmal "advantages".
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
03/22/2013 07:52 AMPosted by Leeflow
DK > warriors > bears .... interesting.

Says who? o.O

I know I'll play what I want. I wasn't asking for advice :P I was simply asking if anyone had noticed the utility difference in Throne of Thunder (ie non dodge-able attacks, and so forth).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I've tanked on both this expansion. I'm just enjoying my bear more. Jin'rokh was about the same on both, while Horridon was miles easier on the bear. I can simply do a lot more tank DPS, and we need every bit we can eke out at this point. [I haven't done Council, Tortos or Megaera on the warrior.]

[It's possible that I am a bit more adept at Guardian than Protection warrior, just because this was my original character in BC.]

Take this with a grain of salt, however, given that I am just at Megaera so far. Both tanks have about-equal gear: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/hyjal/Searil/advanced [warrior]
Edited by Windybrisket on 3/22/2013 8:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
I know I'll play what I want. I wasn't asking for advice :P I was simply asking if anyone had noticed the utility difference in Throne of Thunder (ie non dodge-able attacks, and so forth).
That's kind of the reason why Bears have SIGNIFICANTLY more armor than other tanks (to be able to survive that damage), and why you have FR.

Yes, inherently absorbs are better than reactive healing. However, again, more armor (and the amount is not a joke, it's like a good 20-30% above Warriors/Pallies/DKs).

No, NV is not just a personal cd. It does do raid healing. It's not a negligible amount of raid healing. Stampeding, Symbiosis, Rebirth, and more DPS is not something that should be overlooked either.

Honestly just sounds like you're feeling that the "grass is greener" but... no. First of all, rage generation is vastly different from a Warrior to a Bear. We sure can absorb Triple Puncture or Snapping Bite. What do we do versus the melee that syncs with almost every Triple Puncture and does 120k out of my 600k HP, not to mention Dire Calls? Warriors, even hit/exp hardcapped, don't have the rage generation to keep Block up 66.6% of the time and throw up absorbs for the Punctures. There is no additional RPS stat Warriors can realistically itemize for, we're not like Bears who can go for crit/hit/exp/haste or whatever. Even avoidance does not significantly affect rage generation with Revenge procs, we simply don't get enough per point.

If you're going to reroll, don't make it over something this stupid. I'm considering rerolling to a Bear (which is a big reason I know their perks in more detail) not because Bears are sooo much more OP than Warriors, but because of raid tier token distribution and the fact that no one uses agility leather in our raid, not even for an offspec. We also have two Warrior tanks in the raid (me being one), which isn't really too bad but definitely not as good as it could be in terms of loot distribution, etc.

Both tank specs offer something quite different to the raid, and neither has an advantage over the other in a vacuum. In specific raid scenarios they might (e.g. my raid group has 5 prot tokens, 2 vanqs, and only 1 brez), but NOT in a vacuum. You're talking in a vacuum, and that's just absurd.
Edited by Kangamooster on 3/22/2013 8:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

If you're going to reroll, don't make it over something this stupid.
Edited by Dûchene on 3/22/2013 8:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
On normals maybe =D

You're most likely missing a trick in handling Fans and not spacing your cooldowns correctly on the Puncture/Stares then.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
There's a trick in handling Fans? We just taunt swap at 2 and I spam heroic strike for all of Twins...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
There's a trick in handling Fans? We just taunt swap at 2 and I spam heroic strike for all of Twins...

[23:24:29.060] Slashlove afflicted by Icy Shadows from Ice Comet
[23:24:31.454] Suen casts Fan of Flames on Slashlove
[23:24:31.490] Slashlove afflicted by Fan of Flames (3) from Suen
[23:24:31.490] Suen Fan of Flames Slashlove 69146
[23:24:31.915] Ice Comet's Icy Shadows fades from Slashlove
[23:25:01.596] Suen's Fan of Flames fades from Slashlove

Cooldowns are for when I feel lazy! Or want to give healers something to do because if you take out Fan the phase is a joke.
Edited by Slashlove on 3/22/2013 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
Oh, THAT trick. :P

I figured anyone except Warriors would not be okay with a 25% haste debuff
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you move in and out it's only there for like 2 seconds. Would probably be less if it was being done by someone not from New Zealand.

That's almost like trading a massive 3 Rage for ..... that.
Edited by Slashlove on 3/22/2013 10:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
03/22/2013 07:59 AMPosted by Saeilfa
DK > warriors > bears .... interesting.

Says who? o.O

it's a long story =p
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]